[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is overclocking worth it /g/? Serious question I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: overclock.png (16KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
overclock.png
16KB, 600x330px
Is overclocking worth it /g/? Serious question I've never done it before
>>
What are you trying to do and what CPU and gpu do you have
>>
>>55672530
Well I'm currently thinking about buying a GTX 1070 and i7 6700k, and mostly video game + record and render in game footage. Especially with DX12 on Win10 allowing better hyperthread usage I was thinking the i7 is worth the extra ~$80 and overclocking it would give me more value.

But my concern is mostly heat and electricity usages, I've read that overclocking increases the idle temp/power use by a lot so I'm a bit concerned with the 50w or whatever it might be just for simply existing
>>
>>55672518
Depends on your task, processor, cooling solution, and OCing headroom.

If youre on an older core2 or first/second gen i7 then absolutely, those chips were quite conservatively clocked and you can see 33-60% gains. Something newer is extremely lucky to get 15% (going from turbo boost, not base)
>>
no
that's why I run 5 year old xeons
>>
>>55672518
>getting more performance for free
Of course it is.
>>
>>55672601
It's not for free when you're paying with higher power usage and running into potential thermal bottlenecks. Even a 20% OC can almost double power usage and 300WHr is not a trivial amount to just gain 20%
>>
File: 1292921061616.jpg (23KB, 429x410px)
1292921061616.jpg
23KB, 429x410px
>>55672518
Not really.
Unless your trying to squeeze 1-to-2 more years out of some old hardware or something.
>>
>>55672574
The only way your idle draw goes up that much is if you disable all power saving sleep states. That's generally unnecessary unless you absolutely want to push a chip to the limit. I've got an older 32nm cpu that does 4.4 with ht on, at crazy voltage, with idle states on. YMMV, every chip is different.
>>
>>55672627
You can buy electricity but you can't buy fps.
>>
>>55672649
I suppose that's a reasonable statement
>>
>>55672627
maybe if you live in a place that jews you for power
my desktop at idle costs me $0.05/hr to run, and at max it's double that
>>
If you're trying to do something, and the CPU is the bottleneck, then obviously.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why you would want to.
>>
>>55672518
You're running your shit out of spec for minimal real-world performance gain in a world where clock speed is pretty much worthless.
>>
>>55672627
The difference of my 5820k overclocked or stock is ~120w. Even at full load (worst case scenario) i'd be looking at maybe an extra $5 a month.

Electricity simply isnt that expensive.
>>
Unless you own some garbage AMD product - yes it's a free performance.
>>
>>55672578
This. Got my i7 870 to 4.2ghz and it's a fucking housefire, but the gains were great and it's still performing competitively
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.