[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/ I'm going to be taking a few courses in course era

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3KB, 225x225px
So /g/ I'm going to be taking a few courses in course era for some programming languages and web development stuff while I take a mandatory break from my network engineering degree. Should I pay for these "certificates" to put on a resume I am currently working as a tier 1 internet help desk agent for a ISP. Would it be worth to get these "certificates" for the relevant tech experience or would I just be wasting money as opposed to the free course?
>>
>>55659741
>>>/AskReddit/
>>
>>55659799
Reddit is cancer
>>
>>55659741
They're worthless. You need side projects.
>>
>>55659821
Well I figured the certificates would be worthless, but if I don't know the programming and web development languages would the free course be worth my time to get a foot in the door on learning it? Also what type of side projects I finally secured my first help desk job, but am a little unknowing of where to go next.
>>
>>55659855
Well, if you want to learn web development you have to start with learning HTML, CSS and Javascript first.

freecodecamp.com is a good place to learn. It defines a path for you, you solve small challenges to build up your skillset. And then later you have to work on some bigger projects using what you've learned.

Also, if you want to learn "real" programming languages you'll have to pick up some books later on. Because almost all websites are thin on theory.
>>
>>55659855
I also forgot to mention that reddit is one of the best places to discuss programming and web development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming
https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev
>>
>>55659741
I think its worth it.

As a hiring manager, I look at real experience at companies first, but if you are able to complete courses on coursera, it shows that you had the desire and determination to do it AND now you actually know shit.

Go for it.
>>
>>55659912
Thanks for that anon that is what I'm starting with is HTML and I'm going to work from there. Still going to use course era cause I'm ADD as fuck, and a actual "classroom" experience would help me stay on track. Definitely going to check out that website though, and I have no problem with spending money on books for education even if it's not entirely relevant to my career path. Could you suggest any books to purchase that would be of use?
>>
>>55659991
>>55659741
Oh, and make sure you post it on your linkedin and other places. afaik the certificates allow you to do that
>>
>>55660014
Will do. Still about 30 credit hours from getting my A.A.S and live in a small town in South Texas. Probably going to have to move to Austin in order to find a job at a tech firm. Houston just doesn't have the same amount even though it is a huge city and only about thirty minutes away.
>>
>>55660004
Do you know any programming languages such as Java or Python?
>>
>>55660111
Not even the slightest honestly I'm going to be learning from the ground up.
>>
>>55660143
Intro to Java Programming - Daniel Liang.
It's the best programming book in my opinion. Each chapter has exercises (and solutions to all odd-numbered exercises). It starts out with the basic, builds up to GUI applications, and the last chapters introduce algorithms, databases, network programming.

It's quite expensive though. But it saved my ass in uni, and I've yet to see a better book on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/Intro-Java-Programming-Comprehensive-Version/dp/0133761312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468986947&sr=8-1&keywords=liang+java
>>
>>55660143
If you want to check out the book you can pirate the book here:
http://bookzz.org/md5/96E8E11FB9273BA31FF5D0C6FC1A4B2F
>>
>>55660216
My college uses that book now, but the book I learned from was called Big Java by Cay Horstmann. Awesome book, and there are free PDF's of it floating around the internet.
>>
Am I the only one who dislikes reading programming books? I have tried on multiple occasions and I just can't do it. The way I learned was just to load up an editor, write some fuckin code, if it runs, great, if it doesn't, google that shit. Just making cool stuff and working on tiny projects is how I learned everything I know. There is only one book I've read, kinda, and even that, not completely and that's K&R.
I understand some people prefer books, but I suggest people try this out just to see it it suits their learning style.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.