[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, explain this to me, because Google has failed me: why is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: sim_card_PNG9300[1].png (16KB, 250x270px) Image search: [Google]
sim_card_PNG9300[1].png
16KB, 250x270px
/g/, explain this to me, because Google has failed me: why is it that with an iPhone you can swap the SIM card at will without having to reboot, while Android phones have to reboot if the SIM card is removed or added at all?
>>
>>55654763
Actually you don't that's phone dependent and not android dependent.
>>
>>55654835
Seriously? That's weird. Any idea why that is?
>>
>>55654763
Entirely dependent on the phone and not tied into the OS. However I think all Windows Phones do need a reboot(most of them do it automatically) if you take out the SIM-card.
>>
>>55654964
I had a Nokia phone with an old versioon of WP in it.It didnt need reboot when inserting from side slot
>>
in many phones, especially older ones the sim is under the battery, so you physically cannot change it without rebooting. and it was not designed for hot swapping, if some current is sent to it while putting it in/out it might corrupt the data unless the phone has a hard- or software safety mechanism to prevent it
>>
I van swap the Sim Card in my Android phone without rebooting
>>
I think my Nexus 5X can hotswap, but I'm capable of pooing in the loo, instead of the streets, so I never swap SIMs, so I'm not 100% sure.
>>
>>55654999
There's really no data being written to a SIM card most of the time. Not all operating systems even allow you to save data on it(iOS and WP).

In phones where SIM-card slot is in a tray with an SD card it's more common to be able to remove and insert the SIM while the phone is powered on, probably to ease the use of the SD card with card readers etc. Same for phones with multiple SIM-card slots also allow you to hotswap them.
>>
>>55655062
You can export to sim in ios last I checked so I'm sure you can write to it
>>
>>55655247
And last I checked you can only import contacts from a SIM card on iOS assuming there are any. Haven't seen any option to write on it. Where is it in the menus? I won't believe once I see it.
>>
>>55654763
Isn't this mostly because most phones require you to remove the battery in order to reach the sim card?
>>
Can someone explain why swapping sims / dual sim is so necessary in poor countries? Are people using phone and data on different networks? They're taking advantage of same-network cheap calling?
>>
>>55654763
I just enable airplane mode and disable it. No reboot necessary.
>>
>>55656023
People in poor countries work harder. They prefer to keep a separate number for work and family/friends.
>>
Not true. I can hotswap the simcard in both my Oneplus One and my Oneplus 3
>>
>>55654763
>while Android phones have to reboot if the SIM card is removed or added at all
I don't have to reboot.
>>
>>55654933

I think it's got something to do with RIL implementation

>>55656023

I think it's because they have cheap voice call SIMs and cheap data SIMs but not both.
>>
I just tried with the nexus 5. No reboot.
>>
one plus x no reboot

nice fud op
>>
>>55656421
How's the One Plus X?
>>
My RN3P doesn't need a reboot. S4 didn't either.
>>
>>55656516
Not him, but it's mostly good. The screen's nice, having an SD card is awesome (why the FUCK is that allowed to be considered "awesome"? Probably price gouging I guess), and its performance decent. The thing is, it will randomly reboot at times. It tends to be a few weeks between reboots, but can be as little a few minutes. Maybe the update that's been sitting on my phone for a month will fix it, but I highly doubt it. Apparently it's been happening for a while now, so yeah, that's some bullshit right there. Oh, and the battery life is okay, it won't die on me in a single day, but I don't use it for much else other than music and light web browsing usually.
>>
>>55654763
is this 2007 or what?
i remove my SIM on my Moto G all the time and never had any problem.
>>
>>55656023
Brazilian here. My phone has dual SIM but i only use one.
Most people get this feature because phone companies usually provide free calls for people on the same company so it's useful if you have a business and clients want to call you for free and shit like that. I mean, that's my guess. Most people who use dual SIM are pre-paid shittiers anyway.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.