[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm applying for a design job that requires to know how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Getamac.png (190KB, 850x480px) Image search: [Google]
Getamac.png
190KB, 850x480px
I'm applying for a design job that requires to know how to work in Mac and I haven't stepped out of Windows since W95. I am proficient in the rest of software requirements for the job but I'm not aware of the differences between handling a Mac and a PC. Should I just ask a friend to use his Macbook for a week so I get used to it or are there any online walkthroughs about moving from a PC to a Mac?

Help /g/. I'd feel like an idiot if I can't do the simplest of tasks if I get the job.
>>
>>55455496
Install OSX in a VM on your current computer.
/thread
>>
>>55455496
Apple has thought of everything you just have to learn what solutions they provide to fit your situation. For example: need to learn how to use OSX? See: https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/
>>
>>55455569
Thanks iPajeet.
>>
>>55455496
>design
>never used a mac
I bet if you said this in the interview you would never be hired. Might as well claim you only use gimp no adobe products and you dont wash you bathe in your own waste fluids.
>>
>>55455590
Fuck off iPajeet.
>>
>>55455503

Already tried a while ago. Installed el Capitan following a hackintosh guide and while I got it to run, it was very slow.
>>
>>55455637
Should be more than fast enough for you to learn how to use OS X.
OS X is only slightly slower than real hardware once you got VMware tools installed.
>>
>>55455590

Why would a Mac be better than a PC when designing? I can use the adobe suite, all the autodesk products I need and modo, zbrush, rhinoceros... without any trouble.

I don't know where this Mac supremacy in design is coming from. Is it because they look nice and the prices are prohibitive so they keep the plebs out?
>>
>>55456388

History, mostly.

For a very long time the good design software was only available for Mac, and windows didn't support postscript fonts (this was WAY before osx). So it started there. Windows traditionally did a bad job of honoring the font while rendering, because they made the choice to try and make the on screen representation pretty, instead of accurate: big no no for prepress work. This was the case all the way through XP, but I haven't checked in 7/8/10. Maybe they at least give you the option to switch now? Or maybe prepress is so diminished that it's not a priority any more?
>>
I'm mid career, do devops type of work. I've been using Linux since 1995, although still used a lot of windows up until 2008 or so. Anyway I had never used OS X much either and I took a new job where it was really my only choice. It took me several months to really adjust.

My biggest problem was I kept trying to bend OS X keyboard shortcuts and such to be more like Linux and Windows, but it never worked out well. In the end bending myself instead of the OS is what worked. Embrace the keyboard shortcuts, window management, and general workflows.

Install iterm2 and spectacle.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.