[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RX 480 thread #4815162342 http://www.anandtech.com/show/10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

RX 480 thread #4815162342

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

How will AMD manage to achieve this without hindering performance? It could do with the card's ability to undervolt pretty well.
>>
because undervolting at least on amd cards gives a slight bump on speed clocks

they will just revert the clocks back to 1266 instead of 1280 and they will gain 11% off its power they already said so on discord
>>
>>55393522
Wow they really set it to 1280 at the cost of that much power?
>>
Wow, I went to the AMD subreddit trying to find any information about this but theres nothing on the main page.

Serious dishonest shilling there, the main page sis nothing but two stickies post and a bunch of nonsense threads.

Something like this should have a sticky with continuous updates specially after AMD has released a statement.
>>
>>55393679
No the 1280 was the clock after the under voltage
the boost clock was always 1266
with the 1280 they had 7% decrease on power with the 1266 11%
>>
>>55393351
>How will AMD manage to achieve this without hindering performance? It could do with the card's ability to undervolt pretty well.
lol why are you even asking
>>
>>55393681
i've been lurking it for a few days ago, it does have information on it, but because of the new card, traffic has been so fast that the first couple of popular threads on the topic get buried, and new threads about it dont get upvoted.
>>
>>55393760
for discussion you dense fuck
>>
>>55393351
>how will they manage to achieve this
by adding a 8 pin slot to the mobo, and undervolting all the cucks who early adopted.
>>
>>55393351
It was their plan all along.

The reviews are already out, so now they release this driver that reduces performance, and no one is the wiser.
>>
>>55395724
>gimped 2 weeks after release

and AMDfags make memes abut nvidia gimping.
>>
File: 1467486373222.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1467486373222.png
226KB, 468x345px
where can I still buy one? It seems to be sold out on both amazon and newegg.

Pls respond
>>
File: AMD-RX-480-Sapphire-Nitro-3[1].jpg (69KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
AMD-RX-480-Sapphire-Nitro-3[1].jpg
69KB, 800x551px
>>55396153
Just keep checking until they restock also AIB's are coming mid july, Id get one of those over a referense as the sapphire one already advertised has better power phases and an 8pin connector over reference 6pin along with removable fans and just overall looking better
>>
>>55393681

Wccftech (I know...) and a bunch of other sites already tested undervolting here http://wccftech.com/article/radeon-rx-480-reducing-voltage-increasing-efficiency/
like >>55393522 said you basically can reduce the power draw by 11% without affecting the performance.
>>
>>55396458
you'd think they would have thought of that before releasing it into the wild, right? i mean, they made the damn thing after all and presumably put it through some amount of testing. this whole ordeal isn't exactly helpful for their reputation.
>>
The its an issue with the VRAM, how the GPU handles TDP, and that Wattman software.

The GPU die itself under normal settings pulls 110 watts, about 40 watts is what the memory is drawing. If the GPU is drawing less power then the memory is allowed to draw more. The Wattman software in many cases is ignoring power settings if the memory settings are set to auto.
>>
>>55396153
Don't get one until the fix is out unless you want to ruin your motherboard.
>>
>>55396766
This. There is something they're not telling us.
>>
Undervolting a reference 480 can increase your performance as the boost clock has more headroom. The default power is probably to account for variances in 14nm chips and less binning. But if you have a good 480 chip you can undervolt and get better performance. (typicall up to a 5% increase. Not much but consideing you will also be saving a little on power it's good). As opposed to trying to overclock it, running it hot and more power, noise for only a 10% increase at best.
>>
>>55393351
I'm kinda willing to upgrade my 270x. rx480 i'm not entirely sure about, but when is rx470 released?
also gtx1060 cause i'm afraid i'll have to consider it too, despite the fact i'd rather throw my money at AMD.

IIRC rx470 was rated 100W TDP, which is slightly lower than my 270X, so that'd be perfect and still a hefty performance boost, so that's what i'm looking at the most, but if 1060 offers much more (yes, dx11-) i'll have to think this through.
>>
>>55398105
>IIRC rx470 was rated 100W TDP,

don't put much faith in the official TDP numbers. the 480 has a 150W TDP but is drawing more than 200W in nominal workloads.
>>
>>55398120
well I just checked, 270X is rated 180W (and I bet it spikes to more anyway, but I can live with that), so apparently even rx480 would work for me, once they fix that minor Fries Your Motherboard issue.

Still, all those news and... hardly superior dx11 performance of rx480 made me rather worried, and I was so damn willing to get it ASAP...
the only thing I dislike about rx470 is that there won't be any 8GB version of it.
>>
>>55393522
The reference cards don't clock to 1266 anyway. In games they mostly hover around 1200Mhz, so undervolting will not affect stability. It will probably slightly increase real life boost clocks.
>>
>>55393351
The rx480 is drawing 40w when idling using 3 monitors. I hope they fix that too. But yeah there must be issues with power management, some cards pull only 125-130w
>>
>>55398018
>>55396766
AMD isn't a board manufacturer. It's completely reasonable to think that they made a mistake on the board. In all likelihood, they knew about the overdraw and assumed the PSU power would make up the difference, not the PCIE slot. The specification does state that the motherboard itself is supposed to control the slot power; if I was making a graphics card, I would assume based on PCIE specification that I wouldn't have to worry about overdrawing the slot. But again, AMD doesn't make boards so their engineering team may not know these things.

>>55393681
Nobody cares. It's not that big an issue, and AMD is working on a fix. If AMD can't fix the problem, that's when users should worry.

Plus, you know, AMD haters lost their fucking minds for like four days straight over it acting like it was the end of the world and using it as a reason why a two year old card that doesn't perform as well is better. Everything that needed to be said about the problem was said a hundred times by AMD haters and exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness.

tl;dr, it only matters if AMD can't fix it in a reasonable time frame
>>
>>55398120
What are you talking about? Tom managed to get the card to just under 170W during a torture test.
>>
Nitro rx 480, 1060, or 980 right now for $285 after rebate?
>>
>>55393681
Eugh that place is utter cancer.

Say anyting along the lines of "you know, NVIDIA got xxxx right" and you get downvoted and get called a shill for that.
>>
>>55398342
This
>>
File: eizzeK1.jpg (917KB, 2419x3226px) Image search: [Google]
eizzeK1.jpg
917KB, 2419x3226px
>>55393681
****Sticky ****

Driver update on the July 5th will resolve this issue.

Also note on that sub reddit no one is asking the question because no one is worried.
>>
>>55398438
I lurk Reddit sometimes. People were shitting all over the reference 480 problems at /r/AMD.

This place seems more biased than /r/AMD or /r/Nvidia, to be honest.
>>
From what I've seen, the two people who've shown images of the rx480 killing their motherboards were both running 3x trifire. Not that it's possible for them to post actual evidence.

Has anyone shown single or even double 480s killing boards?
>>
>>55396766
Voltages are set to a level where the most number of dies can reach clocks while being stable. No extensive clock binning took place for the consumer reference cards, AMD left that to their partners.

Everything about Polaris10 was made so that it would be as economical as possible, with the highest yields and volume possible.

>>55398120
Not even remotely close.
Toms' review puts it at 164w in a 4K gaming bench, TPU had 163w average.
>>
need help. I have a sapphire r9 380 2gb, planning on upgrade with $300 budget. is the rx 480 8gb a good upgrade? Here's a comparison between both cards http://www.sapphiretech.com/compare.asp?AddID=2727&lang=eng
I'm interested in a card that can run new games but don't consume too much power, what do?
>>
>>55398396

480 or 1070

anything else isn't a very good deal unless it's a used 390 for ~240ish usd
>>
>>55393351

Stilt is on it. Seems that the VRM controller can be reprogrammed
>>
>>55398769
I could have bought a new sapphire nitro 390, arguably the best, on sale for $260 a year ago. Really regretting that I didn't.

Why has the gpu market gotten so shit the past few years?
>>
>>55399925
same reason cpu market is shit

1 company makes an amazing product and kills its only competitor
>>
>>55400083
Kinda, but even in the budget segments where there is competition it seems stagnant.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.