[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Ubuntu so insistent on forcing bloat onto your computer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: fuckingubuntu.png (40KB, 959x614px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingubuntu.png
40KB, 959x614px
Why is Ubuntu so insistent on forcing bloat onto your computer?

Thunderbird isn't some fucking super important dependency
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>55380408

I might as well just install Arch at this point

I was using the minimal installation disk anyway
>>
>>55380466
Gentoo or Slackware are far better desu
>>
>>55380368
Who cares? It's what, 80MB of your 1TB disk? But sure, feel free to waste your time compiling your own kernel and packages on Arch or whatever.
>>
>>55380809

>Not hardening your linux install

Uninstalling shit you don't need will make you less prone to attacks
>>
>>55380368
It's not "ubuntu".
It's because of how maintainers package stuff and maybe because you don't know enough how dpkg works.
>>
If you weren't retarded you could have installed from a minimal ISO that lets you choose which roles/packages to install.

Thus avoiding the bloat.

Retard
>>
>>55381009
he uses Ubuntu... don't be stupid, he clearly doesn't want to harden
>>
>>55380368

Did you disable suggested and recommended packages?

sudo vim /etc/apt/apt.conf

APT::Install-Recommends "0";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";
>>
>>55380368
i dont understand. i have no thunderbird on ubuntu and none of the packages you listed , i even use unity. What version is this?
>>
>>55381009
The amount of additional security added by removing apps that aren't even running is miniscule compared to basic common-sense security like installing security updates in a timely manner, running a careful firewall configuration and not using Flash nor Wine.
>>
>>55381009
i thought hardening is about securing compilers and kernel and shit , not removing unused programs to install them again if ever needed.
>>
>>55381093
i'm sure that is explained on the man pages and not threads deep in a forum
>>
>>55381093
>telling ubuntu users to use vim to edit system config files
you just want him to reboot his pc dont you?
>>
>>55381139

It's all of that

Anything to minimize the attack vector
>>
>>55381152

It's pretty easily searchable. This information is everywhere since a lot of people don't want the extra bloat.

>>55381201

He could just use nano; but yes, you are correct I should have used a more simpler editor considering OP may not know how to use vim.
>>
>>55380368
put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
Acquire::Languages { "none"; };

make sure to read the manpage for apt.conf , though, you may not like some options.
>>
>>55381236
whats the atack vector of an unused mail client actually ? I mean you need to be able to execute code in order to activate it , so instead of activating thunderbird you can just mess his shit up already. I understand if you need to send him an email to let him know that he got rekt, but other than that its pretty retarded..
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.