[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stupid questions thread /sqt/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 52

File: euskal_ambiente1.jpg (44KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
euskal_ambiente1.jpg
44KB, 640x361px
> google.com

dont post your small questions in unrelated threads
>>
File: logitech_b100-optical-usb-mouse.png (49KB, 475x220px) Image search: [Google]
logitech_b100-optical-usb-mouse.png
49KB, 475x220px
if i have a cheap office mouse with noticeable negative accel when i move it quick, is it better to have a lower sens or higher sens?
i have the poll rate overclocked to 500 Hz wich is stable but i still notice the negative accel sometimes
>>
How secure is RDP compared to something like key auth SSH+VNC for remoting over the internet? I'm not super familiar with windows remote desktop stuff.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-02+at+04.06.19).png (38KB, 659x522px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-02+at+04.06.19).png
38KB, 659x522px
Is there anything else you need to do when converting your full sized rig to mATX other than getting a new case and motherboard? I'll probably upgrade my GPU to the RX480 too.
>>
How do I torrent for free without getting death threats from my ISP?
>>
>>55375086
Stop being American
>>
File: rem.png (199KB, 476x419px) Image search: [Google]
rem.png
199KB, 476x419px
Does viper4android have any impact on the audio quality if you only only install the audio driver and enable it?
>>
>>55375086
Publicly listed torrents should be relegated to cam rips or shitty anime/old movies no one cares about.
New releases should be avoided but private trackers is where you should obtain that garbage.
>>
File: whitewashed symmetra.png (3MB, 1884x3901px) Image search: [Google]
whitewashed symmetra.png
3MB, 1884x3901px
any good data recovery software that doesn't mask itself as a malware..
im sick and tired using the trial versions because it doesnt even let me recover the data...what gives...
>>
>>55375134
So the answer is private trackers, then?
>>
How do i get into phone to cloud storage. It is android.

I got my last phone robbed, and learned my lesson, want to keep EVERYTHING synced on the internet.
>>
I want to get a steam link for casual games since they are dirt cheap. But I have a toaster CPU. Will that work? Older games run fine.

Is it possible to encode the video from the host PC using the graphics card instead of the CPU? According to valve's FAQ, you want the client PC (in my case just steam link) to have a GPU capable of x264 decoding, but then says you should have a quad-core CPU on the host machine. Which implies the answer is no, but I'm still not sure.
>>
>>55375128
honestly probably makes audio worse.
>>
>>55375193
Have you logged in in your new phone yet?

It should've asked you whether you want to sync or not when you were logging in; if not, try enabling sync in the account settings.
>>
>>55375193
What do you mean by everything? Photos can be synched automatically to stuff like Dropbox, everything else is best to sync via backups
>>
>>55374211
>2015 league of legends Brazilian semifinals.jpg
>>
What should I be aware of before I run games through WINE?

I would like to play older games like King of Dragon's pass and Jagged Alliance.

Most recent game is Darkest Dungeon and Valkyrie chronicles.
>>
>>55375213
You may be right.

I mean, the company that made the phone has profit on stake, if they released a bad product they'd lose a lot.

Meanwhile, the viper devs don't really have anything on stake, so they wouldn't really be in trouble if they released a bad product.
>>
i want to set up a linux vm on a windows host with shared storage. should i use vmware or virtualbox? or something else?

any quick guides would also be appreciated.

i'm already running linux on my laptop, but i thought compiling would be faster on my desktop, even inside a vm
>>
>>55375274
check out wine-staging if you aren't already using it
if you're using free drivers, you might be able to take advantage of gallium nine (native direct3d9), which can greatly improve performance in d3d9 games
if not, or if gallium nine doesn't work for a particular game, also check out CSMT (if you have a multicore cpu)
i highly recommend installing games into their own wine prefix, playonlinux can make handling multiple prefixes very easy
>>
>>55375417
>free drivers
free graphics drivers, specifically
like nouveau or radeonsi
>>
>>55374228
middle to high sens
>>
Wanna get a 2-bay NAS and dump two 2GB WD reds in it and stream movies over to my TV through the router.
This is also for data backup.
Router is a netgear 3800 wnd.

Is there a better idea or should I go for it?
Also how fast should the processor be of the NAS?
>>
>>55375467
>Also how fast should the processor be of the NAS?
depends;
- will it be doing anything besides serving files?
- are you using software raid with parity, or filesystem features like checksumming or compression?
- you mention video streaming, will that include real time transcoding?
>>
>>55375510
>will it be doing anything besides serving files?
No
>are you using software raid with parity, or filesystem features like checksumming or compression?
I don't know what you mean but I was planning to raid 1 them. I wasn't really planning anything but dragging and dropping them, no compression.
>you mention video streaming, will that include real time transcoding?
Im not even 100% this works but if the TV doesn't support a codec I assume the NAS should have enough power to transcode it in realtime, or no?
>>
>>55375635
>I was planning to raid 1 them
that's fine, it's parity calculation in raid5/6 that uses some cpu time
note that raid1 won't protect you from silent corruption without a checksumming filesystem (as there's no way to automatically determine which mirror contains the 'correct' data without checksums)
>I assume the NAS should have enough power to transcode it in realtime
transcoding video is a relatively cpu-intensive task, exactly what you need depends on the kind of quality you want to achieve
an inexpensive desktop x86 cpu can do it, but a low power arm chip might not
>>
Is there something that generates a header file from a .c/.cpp source file?
I'm using Visual Studio and there doesn't seem to be any feature on it that does it.

Is it something that is even possible? I googled a bit and there didn't seem info on it, so maybe it's a problem more complex than I think it is. It looks simple though, just scan the .c file for the function declarations and chuck them into the header.
>>
>>55375251
Nah, not enough 486s.
>>
Any web devs here?

Here is my .htaccess file:

php_value upload_max_filesize 5M
php_value post_max_size 10G
php_flag max_input_time -1

I wrote an image uploader on my phone to upload all pictures to the server with the .htaccess file.

But after around ~90 Pictures i get the
"413 request entity too large" error.

But i set the post size to 10G, is there a hidden limit? Any other options to prevent this?

The error needs around ~24 hours to go away so that i can upload again. Thats pretty annoying.
>>
Looking to upgrade to a 21:9 1440p monitor (http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/u3477pqu)

What GPU do I need if I want to play vidya at ~60fps?
>>
Is PhysX still a thing?
>>
>>55374501
RDP is fairly secure...transmission takes place over SSL with authentication available via key auth/smart card. Tunnelling VNC over SSH with key auth is pretty much the same thing.

>>55375342
Virtualbox. It gives you more options (building as OVF and VHD) if you ever want to migrate your VM to something else (vmware or Hyper-V). If you stand up in vmware, you're stuck with OVF/A and some kloogy conversion if you want to move it to Hyper-V.
>>
File: 1467160877002.jpg (82KB, 944x728px) Image search: [Google]
1467160877002.jpg
82KB, 944x728px
What is the best programming language for an almost complete beginner?

From what I've researched it's either VB or Python, if I end up learning with Python what programs do I need to compile and write?
>>
>>55376172

>What is the best programming language for an almost complete beginner?

I started with VB, was very helpful and there were many guides about it on YT!
It's pretty easy to learn java and c# if you can VB.

I dont know about Python, never learned it.
But there are also many tutorials which will show you how to compile and write etc.
>>
Anybody have any idea when the 4GB version of the RX480 will be available in the Netherlands? It's bullshit enough that they expect us to pay 300 dollars for the "200 dollar card" that should've released last Thursday, but to not even offer the cheaper version is ridiculous.
>>
File: Anon.png (10KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
Anon.png
10KB, 512x640px
>>55376144
thank you, i was just going to post again. i went with virtualbox. it took me longer than it should have, but now i have ubuntu installed and shared folders working, everything's great. though nautilus seems to crash a lot when i make changes to the shared folders from the host while it's open in nautilus. minor issue.

it is definitely not as snappy as mint on my laptop, i'll see how the compiling times are once i have the time. i know it's just a vm, but i expected a bit more.
>>
>>55376061
i'd get a 1080 at this point.

i have a 980ti and i get ~90-110 fps in modern games. i usually lower the settings to high for the full 144fps, since i have a 1440p 144hz monitor. it's 16:9, 21:9 obviously takes more processing power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ewrs7-lE3Q

honestly, if all you're going to do is playing video games, you would be better off with a 120+hz screen.
>>
how to make bank in a tech related career?

I'd rather have serious answers, please.
>>
>>55376379
be good at what you do, know the right people and bet on your luck.
>>
>>55376172
>either VB or Python
what ancient newspaper did you dig out to find anyone recommending VB still?
do not touch VB, it is dead.

if you're on windows get visual studio community edition and look into C#.
it's the most beginner friendly environment. All you have to do is create a new project and press run.
no command line fiddling, compiler installing, path editing etc.
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

and then look into
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k1sx6ed2.aspx
>>
I'm trying to setup vga passthrough for a Windows guest on my Arch isntallation.
The nvidia card has been recognized by the guest and I've been able to install the driver.
However, I'm not getting any output from the graphics card after removing the virtual display.
>>
>>55375738
anyone?
>>
File: send help.png (20KB, 522x371px) Image search: [Google]
send help.png
20KB, 522x371px
How the fuck do I fix this heat problem? is computer rip?
>>
>>55376638
reapply your thermal paste
>>
>>55375178
pls respond /g/od's of techs...
>>
>>55376701
photorec
recuva
>>
>>55376725
thanks man
>>
>>55376638
Wait a sec, doesn't the cpu shut itself off after 99°C?
>>
File: Calibre_logo_2.png (394KB, 554x499px) Image search: [Google]
Calibre_logo_2.png
394KB, 554x499px
How do I download all of the books off libgen? is there a torrent or something?
>>
>>55374211

How do I extract subtitle from below video?
>>
>>55375186

Yeah or just ignore your ISP warnings cause they arent going to do jack shit
>>
>>55376851

Fuck forgot link

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/judd-apatow-escape-from-syosset

How do I get subtitles from above video
>>
>>55374211
I have two questions, both of them are considerably stupid:

1. What is the best mail service to open a mail to give to junk websites?
2. What is a good alternative to firefox? Other than chrome and derivatives?
>>
>>55376638
Speccy is know to give incorrect temperature readings on APUs and intel processors, don't use it.

Try: Open Hardware Monitor

http://openhardwaremonitor.org
>>
>>55376920
>What is the best mail service to open a mail to give to junk websites?
Any. Gmail works just fine.

>What is a good alternative to firefox?
Chrome

>Other than chrome and derivatives?
None
>>
So I'm new at objects in C++, and I'm getting an "Use of undeclared identifier" error. Pic related is the code in the main.cpp, and below is the Account class's code... I've looked in stackOverflow, but the solution seems to have to do with me mispelling the class, which I haven't done. Any help is appreciated.

#include <iostream>
#ifndef Account_h
#define Account_h
class Account
{
private:
double balance;
double interestRate;
int accountNumber;
std::string ownerName;
public:
Account();
Account(double, double, int, std::string);

double getBalance();
void deposit(double);
void withdraw(double);
void addInterest();
void displayAccountSummary();

};

#endif /* Account_h */

>>
>>55376916
those are hardcoded subs, no way to extract them other than typing them yourself
>>
Just ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 960GB how badly did I fuck up?
>>
>>55376638
Its an apu, these temperatures are not correct.

Its not overheating, its just reading it wrong
>>
Just bought a 1070 and I'm wondering about HDMI/DVI

I have two monitors and a PS4 connected to one of them by HDMI, would there be any image quality difference by having one monitor plugged in by HDMI and the other by DVI?
>>
How do I get rid of this space in the date in Unity, Is it supposed ot be like this? it seems excessive and i've tried going into the time and date settings but nothing fixes it
>>
>>55374211
>not dwight
You fucked up
>>
File: ohm.png (13KB, 410x273px) Image search: [Google]
ohm.png
13KB, 410x273px
>>55376930
Not him, but that also have problems with apus
>>
Has anyone got any recommendations for programs to help file organisation on Win7? Like SpaceSniffer?
>>
Can I block an .exe from going online without a firewall?
I don't use a firewall and this is a minor issue so I'm not going to start using one just for this
>>
hey lads
it seems that the windows 7 iso from my digital life is gone
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/56439-Windows-7-ultimate-x86-x64-ISO-Download

anyone know an alternative? i keep finding cracks and activators on kickass, etc.
>>
Search just "windows 7 .iso" you fucking retard. Microsoft even has them on their own site
>>
Will I trigger the Windows Genuine Advantage bullshit if I upgrade to a better CPU without changing the motherboard?
>>
>>55377838
no
>>
>>55377790
says it needs a key and most cracks i found apply it to an already installed win7
>>
Are there massive gains to be made if we were to change the old as fuck x86 instructionset to something new?
>>
File: ss (2016-06-28 at 03.55.10).jpg (115KB, 691x854px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-28 at 03.55.10).jpg
115KB, 691x854px
Can i fit Arctic Freezer 7 Pro R2 on H110 MSI H110M Pro-D motherboard?
>>
is google lagging for anyone else? I can't use both google search and google images since yesterday, it just keeps loading then it times out.
>>
>>55377913
me again

found this and in case anyone wants windows isos

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>
File: file.png (6KB, 421x143px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
6KB, 421x143px
My mom has windows 10 on her laptop and her task scheduler stopped working. Can't turn it on, startup types are greyed out in services, changing the registry makes it reset once the PC is restarted and I can't make anything start up with windows, as I get pic related error. Anyone knows what the reason for that might be?
>>
>>55377991
Nope, modern x86 processors have a RISC core with a CISC interpreter. This is probably as energy efficient and compatible as processors can get.

Might ditch x86 for another cpu architecture in a a few hundred years. Maybe.
>>
File: pepe2.png (44KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
pepe2.png
44KB, 658x662px
Is it possible to legally downgrade a laptop to its original OS(Windows 8) from Windows 10?
I don't have the serial, I don't think any laptop company gives out the windows serial number with the laptop.
>>
>>55378187
Malware. Reinstall or fuck it and install Linux Mint.
>>
>>55377241

I thought maybe they were soft subs since its possible to turn then on/off from the front end
>>
>>55378386
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/
>>
File: 1464200265295.jpg (78KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1464200265295.jpg
78KB, 444x460px
>>55378403
>As long as you’ve upgraded within the last month
Been way more than that.
>Even if it’s been more than a month, you should be able to reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC using fresh installation media and its product key.
>product key
Don't have it because I didn't buy windows, I bought a laptop.
>>
Is it possible to restore an image from a GUID table onto an MBR table?
>>
>>55375178
Photorec and testdisk from cgsecurity. FOSS, powerful, easy to use.
>>
File: 81iNKZVT0kL._SL1500_.jpg (102KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
81iNKZVT0kL._SL1500_.jpg
102KB, 1500x1000px
the front of this M2 SSD says SATA 6gb/s

Isn't the purpose of M2 SSDs to be faster than that?

Does it get faster if you put it into an M2 slot?
>>
>>55378596
m.2 has SATA mode and PCIe mode
That SSD only support SATA mode so its limited to 6Gbps
>>
>>55378596
you need that 950 if you want the fasts
>>
>>55378433
Is the recovery partition still there? The key is usually hard coded into that.

If not, then cough up $20 for a new key
http://www.kinguin.net/category/15083/windows-7-home-premium-oem-key/
>>
>>55378596
>Isn't the purpose of M2 SSDs to be faster than that?

Or fit into razor thin laptops/tablets
>>
>>55378763
I don't think my laptop allows me to format partitions so it should be there.
Windows 10 probably replaced the files in there though.
>>
>>55378825
>>55378748
>>55378619
>950 is the fast one

Oh right.

Is there much of a noticable speed difference between ordinary SSDs and the faster M2 SSDs?
>>
>https://www.amazon.ca/VicTsing%C2%AE-Professional-Wireless-Adjustable-Function/dp/B00F85N41Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1467484110&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+mouse

I only play CS (couple times a week) and just do typical excel / emails for work.

How's this for the price? <$20 only
>>
Anyone have experience is MSDN, I got MSDN subscription from my company for visual studio
it also has included fuckload of other software keys included like windows office,server,10,7,8.1.etc..
if i ever steal one of the keys for my personal use will they mind? or will they disable the key after i quit or fired
>>
File: um wat.jpg (24KB, 348x288px) Image search: [Google]
um wat.jpg
24KB, 348x288px
I need a power surge. I have a 1000w PSU, SLI, a monitor ect. Would 1500va/900w work?

>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102278&cm_re=surge_protector-_-42-102-278-_-Product
>>
>>55379118
yes

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
>>
File: horse laughter lol.gif (547KB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
horse laughter lol.gif
547KB, 256x196px
>>55379142

That's a power supply calculator, not a power surge.
>>
>>55378902
They're basically pci-e ssds. Their bandwidth is about 4x greater on paper, you need to note however that the jump from a HDD to sata SSD is huge but from sata to pci-e it's not as big and you probably don't notice the difference.
>>
>>55379118
If you were running max load on your PSU with monitor, it would overload it on battery, but you'll probably be fine.
It lists the surge protection at 1500 joules
>>
File: 1.jpg (20KB, 376x230px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
20KB, 376x230px
>>55379178
its also computes your ups amperage
>>
I bought a Samsung galaxy Grand.

I also have a 50Mb wifi connection.

however when my Wifi is hooked up to my phone, it's slower than a normal LTE connection. even though the LTE connection is 1mb fast.

any ideas?
>>
>>55379118
>Simulated Sine Wave

Perfect Sine or nothing
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W

Goes on sale every so often
http://camelcamelcamel.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/product/B00429N19W
>>
My OpenWRT router (TP-Link WR842N) runs out of space, I don't even have the 713 kb needed to install the SSL wget version. Can I somehow reallocate some of the tmpfs space to rootfs?

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 704.0K 496.0K 208.0K 70% /
/dev/root 2.3M 2.3M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 14.1M 1.0M 13.0M 7% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3 704.0K 496.0K 208.0K 70% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 704.0K 496.0K 208.0K 70% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
>>
will it fuck with my computer if I have two monitors running at different refresh rates?
>>
>>55379667
no but it might fuck with your head
>>
My kobo aura HD has been freezing recently when viewing manga, any way to resolve this?
>>
Anybody tried setting up tvheadend?
My tv's build in tuner can show all channels.

In tvheadend some of them are encryped, and i get no image at all.

How do i decrypt these channels?
>>
File: Screenshot (216).png (199KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (216).png
199KB, 1600x900px
Looking for a bit of help (Pic related) i start up my computer and its telling me disk is at 100% but i don't have anything open, turned off all my start-up programs? how do i make this stop?
>>
>>55379719
Sort by disk usage nigger
>>
File: Screenshot (217).png (138KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (217).png
138KB, 1600x900px
>>55379719
Can do
>>
>>55379719
is it just because Its from start-up?
>>
When will there be non-reference gtx 1060s?
>>
>>55380410
Some time after it gets released
>>
File: bad_font1.png (20KB, 978x792px) Image search: [Google]
bad_font1.png
20KB, 978x792px
I've noticed that some of my fonts refuse to render properly unless I set them to size 24+. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix it? How do I even begin to find a solution? I can't find anything on Google.

The characters in the font are spaced way too far apart and appear jagged.
>>
Firefox: How do I check my most visited websites along with their view count?
>>
File: bad_font2.png (48KB, 985x768px) Image search: [Google]
bad_font2.png
48KB, 985x768px
>>55380428
Sam font, set to size 24.
>>
Are there any monospace with extra-large UTF-8 characters like arrows and etc.? They're incredibly hard to make out in most monospace fonts because of how tiny they have to be in comparison to regular characters.
>>
File: email.png (51KB, 660x557px) Image search: [Google]
email.png
51KB, 660x557px
Recently, I've been getting spam emails like pic related from different addresses. I tried unsubscribing, but that probably did something else, given the nature of these emails.

They have a similar format and can be about PPI, claims, credit, insurance, gift cards, etc.

How do I stop them, kill them at the source?
>>
>>55380586
block the domain?
>>
>>55380657
That'll be effective, even if every single has a completely different address?
>>
>>55380746
well is it coming from the same domain or not? I'm sure most spam filters would catch this shit surely.
>>
I have a problem where, when I open MSI afterburner my computer completly freezes, like theres nothing I can do so I have to restart me computer. How do I fix this problem?
>>
What tablet to get what to look for? I just need something I can read books websites like wiki and forums and pdfs on. I was wondering if an older surface would be good I like the idea of having a full OS on it. Used a friends surface for awhile the shit was awesome. Replacing my x61t kind of. Thing just gets to hot and is to large for lieing in bed use or at work as a tablet. Will still obviously use the x61t for its many purposes. Budget I am not sure of something on the cheaper side would be good. I have never owned a proper tablet.
>>
>>55380586
Why not just mark them as spam via your email provider? Then they filter them out for you.

>9s13ax1yala21@...
I don't think it's a result of anything you subscribed to specifically. It's probably being sent from randomized addresses.
>>
>>55380761
No? These addresses contain exactly the same 'open immediately' message.

>[email protected]
>[email protected]

>>55380761
>>55380847

I don't think Outlook has picked it up. There was something similar, but a lot minor, a while back where outlook gave the option to block the sender. It has not done it for any of these even though some of these emails are in my junk and some of the same exact ones make it into my inbox

Didn't want to just manually block them because I thought it wouldn't stop them from coming from different addresses
>>
hey /g/
recently I installed a Asrock Pro4 Z77 and I put all my old components back
but I seem to be having a problem with my 7870 HD it isn't recognized by the device manager
I got an Unknown Device in it and I can't install my drivers, no idea what to do about it.
>>
could someone please explain to me why anyone would spend 400 plus AUD on a new processor and mobo when clock speeds have barely increased. for instance the i5 2500k runs at 3.2ghz and the i5 6500 runs at the same speed, so what's the difference?
>>
>>55374211
I'm running Windows 7. I turned off Windows updates a while back but suddenly I am being informed that I must restart and install some new important update. It is the normal countdown-to-restart window but there is no countdown and it stays up forever unless I postpone it. Trouble is, it just comes back and I can't even close the window outside of postponing it.

Is this the forced Windows 10 update? Should I just mess with my settings some more to remove it?

I'm a little worried based on what I've heard that if I try anything stupid it may force me to update, so I don't want to go into this blind.
>>
I'm going to leave my computer in for repairs for what's 99.9% certainty to be a non-hard drive related issue. Should I take out my HDD so some bored computer tech doesnt find my loli folder and potentially destroy my life? 2D has dubious legality in my country.
>>
>>55381348
Other factors such as ipc play a role, basically clock speed isn't everything.
That said, the gains they've been making lately have been pretty poor in the cpu department when you see the leaps we've made in gpu progress. I think it's safe to say we can thank intel for not having a real competitor in the market for this.
>>
>>55381514
isn't a gpu just anodyne computer attached to the motherboard using more specialised algorithms then the cpu? does the physical structure of the chip change much between them?
>>
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 and when I put an 02 (network provider) shortcut on my homescreen for some reason it deletes itself every time I restart the phone. Anyone know how I can stop that please?
>>
Hey /sqt/ I just build a new PC but I'll be buying the graphic card in a few weeks so for now I'm stuck with either my old card (GT 440) or the integrated graphics. I have an i7 6700k cpu.

Which one is better?
>>
>>55375210
please respond

tl;dr: can remote play on steam encode video using the GPU?
>>
>>55381706
About equal with the integrated being slightly faster maybe
>>
"Windows RE tools" Recovery
"SYSTEM" System
Unnamed MSR (Reserved)
Unnamed Recovery
"Recovery Image" OEM (Reserved)

1. Why do I have 2 recovery partitions?
2. Which of these can I delete if I'm trying to do a clean Windows 8.1 installation?
>>
is there any open sores software that can edit button options on my mouse? windows only allows 5 buttons
>>
>>55382356
autohotkey
>>
How do I get Speedfan to control my GPU fan? I got it working for the CPU, but I can't find anywhere where I can set the GPU fan to software controlled, even though it detects the temp and fan speed just fine.
>>
File: screen1.png (118KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screen1.png
118KB, 1920x1080px
How do I disable this popup on windows 8.1 without:
>installing gentoo
>buying the key
>downloading some malicious loader botnet
I just want to prevent this pop up every few hours.
>>
I want to use my old case, it has some kind of bits of rust. Should i be worried or spray it with paint? what kind of paint?
>>
>>55382426
you can't
>>
>>55382426
Have you tried activating your windows?
>>
Yesterday my Chrome stopped working on my Android, force closing constantly, then it happened to my regular HTC browser, and now I'm able to use my regular browser again. Now today everything was working okay (except for Chrome) and then two apps crashed twice despite me not even using them. Then my settings crashed and had to force close that too. I found online that it said the latest Webview update is the problem so I tried to uninstall the update and my settings crashes every time I open it. I'm not much of a tech wiz so I may be sounding completely retarded right now. What do
>>
>>55382463
Update: I'm able to use the shortcut to my Applications Manager but there isn't anything related to Webview
>>
I know enough java to make a simple 2d game. I want to learn more (and hopefully one day reach a professional level) but I've hit a plateau and don't know where to go next. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>55382324
I'm deleting all of it, wish me luck.
>>
>>55382635
start making more complex stuff.
there's no magical way of gaining knowledge out of nothing.
>>
>>55382677
Well obviously. Then let me rephrase my question, what should I make? :<
>>
File: 3456765.jpg (122KB, 1276x738px) Image search: [Google]
3456765.jpg
122KB, 1276x738px
I have this micro sd card that cannot by open by chkdsk in cmd, when using /f command says cannot open volume for direct access
software for partitioning like easyus wont read the card

anyone got a clue?
>>
Just reformatted (Windows 10). Must-have programs? Any suggestion is a good suggestion, even niche programs. Chances are, I'll need it.
>>
>>55382870
Some SD-cards have a tiny switch on it that locks the card for writing or whatever. Look for a small sliding switch, change its position, maybe it helps. Other than that, no clue dude.
>>
Is there a windows 8.1 unbloating guide like this;
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_7

?
>>
does the mother board control the cooling fan without the OS?
>>
>>55382913
microSD cards don't have that
>>
Will reinstalling Windows 10 and deleting all partitions in the process to merge them into one unallocated space wipe MBR (master boot record) too?
>>
its gonna be my first build, want to trim as much fat as possible. preferably bellow 1000.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TTG4Cy
>>
>>55383031
I need to know if I have to install another program to run my cooling fan in linux or if it works automatically
>>
what is the /g/ recommended HDD diagnostic tool?
>>
>>55383351
magnifying glass
>>
I am looking to learn how to program, I am interested in C++ but I have no prior programming experience and people usually say its a hard language. But my real question is should I start with something as a prerequisite? like data structures and algorithms or sicp?
>>
Here's a stupid question.

I want to have a keyboard shortcut that opens new a terminal with a particular terminal program in it, say, like ranger or moc or mutt, etc.

Can anyone think of a way to do this?
>>
>>55383421
start with visual basic and then learn C
you cant properly code in c++ until you have some time of experience
>>
File: images-3.jpg (10KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
10KB, 443x332px
Will i be able to connect my raspberry pi to a tv from 90's foe retro gaming? since i remember my father was connecting snes to it, i did some research and found out it uses red-yellow-white cables insteas of hdmi/vga, i found those cables to hdmi converter on ebay but i'm not sure it will work. pardon me but running debian powered OS on such old monitor doesn't make sense to me actually. pic related, it looks like this one (it's on other house that's why no image) does anybody know will it work or someone thay knows what does cables called?
>>
>>55383476
and when should I learn about data structures and algorithms, and sicp?
>>
File: snapshot1.png (25KB, 579x259px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
25KB, 579x259px
>>55374211
Trying to get into an old /home/ directory. What am I doing wrong. I should be able to use sudo to access.
>>
I have a Radeon 6800 gpu and it gets 75c when I'm gaming, is this bad? How long can it last like that before it breaks
>>
>Buy Paperwhite
>loving it
>few weeks later Amazon release an all white version
>what the fuck

This is such bullshit. If I bitch enough will they give me the white one for free? They can't keep getting away with this.
>>
Do any anons have a clean torrent for the windoes version of CS6?

I mainly need illustrator and photoshop but might as well get the whole suite instead.
>>
Will reflashing BIOS and clean-installing (deleting all partitions and installing Windows in the whole remaining unallocated space) Windows 10 on my laptop remove all rootkits and viruses including BIOS infections, MBR infections, Trojans, keyloggers, etc.?
>>
>>55383740
>If I bitch enough will they give me the white one for free?
You don't even have to complain if you don't like it; then you don't like it. Return it, and then order the one you want or wanted originally.
>>
Is anyone else having trouble with youtube? Its either extremely slow or pretty much nonresponsive
>>
I'm going to be putting a 1080p monitor next to my 4K 32". Would it be worthwhile to get a 21.5" so the PPI is closer to my main monitor or should I just get a 23"? I sit rather close to the monitors, less than 3 feet.
>>
>>55383699
nevermind, forgot chmod works on folders
>>
Just graduated, will be starting as a doctor soon in Britbongland.
Need a nice-feeling type machine with nice screen for movies and browsing.

Currently using T420 nearing end of life.
Any recommendations?

Nothing in Macbook/ X1 c price range pls
>>
I feel sorry for the dumb question, but can I use an iPad Cellular only in Wi-Fi? Or i need to activate it?
>>
>>55383256
bump
>>
>>55383507
Doesn't the RP have composite output?
>>
>>55374211
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid answers.
>>
File: download_20160325_213647.jpg (202KB, 1080x1794px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160325_213647.jpg
202KB, 1080x1794px
Been reading about NAT recently. Are routers NAT? When you're talking about NAT as a subject or job position is it just fucking around with routers and switches?
>>
File: IMG_1948.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1948.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
ok so i bought this thing today what does /g/ think
>it still thinks its in 1994
>>
>>55384147
i don't have any idea what is composite output
>>
File: 1466009220505.png (376KB, 860x799px) Image search: [Google]
1466009220505.png
376KB, 860x799px
>>55374211

>all those beige cases
>you will never assrape everyone at a UT99 LAN Party
>you will never show your friends the 3dfx Glide Splash Screen from your Voodoo 5500 AGP right before you curbstomp them in Quake and CS 1.5
>>
File: 1297903440457.jpg (242KB, 1000x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1297903440457.jpg
242KB, 1000x1126px
>>55384197
gut it and make a sleeper rig
>>
File: IMG_1951.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1951.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>55384206
but its so clean and and runs nice for a 22 year old pc
>>
Computer gets an arbitrary tcp syn packet from an invalid IP
Computer sends back a syn-ack to that IP
Computer receives a RST

How does it get a RST packet if the IP does not exist and it fails to resolve the host?
>>
>>55384177
Router using NAT with PAT. On a cisco network you set up VLAN's on network switches and InterVlan routing AND NAT With pat on the Cisco Routers. Make Sense? Your home router uses NAT with PAT
>>
>>55384237
that a 20gb HDD?
>>
>>55383507
Super old TVs usually have read white yellow which all pi's have that as output. Keep in mind that HDMI to VGA converters almost always need power
>>
File: IMG_1950.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1950.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>55384294
not sure im about to run 95
>>
>>55384288
That is crystal clear thank you. Also thanks for mentioning PAT, I thought that NAT did both address and port not that they were technically seperate.
>>
>>55384324
you're pushing for excuses to post these pictures again
did /v/ tell you to fuck off?
>>
>>55384338
no but ill fuck off now
>>
File: eeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (97KB, 784x588px) Image search: [Google]
eeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
97KB, 784x588px
>>55374211
I'M STUPID AND CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG WITH MY SQL SYNTAX.

USE `database` UPDATE `table` SET `column1`='test', `column2`='#' WHERE `column3`='#';

via command line on debian jesse
>>
My WD external 2TB is failing and I know it, I got it just 6/7 months ago, any way to get it replaced free?
>>
>>55384493
>warranty
>insurance for in-house items (don't know what it's called in english, I would like to know this)
>sell to person you hate, buy new
>Beg on the street

Only imagination is the limit
>>
why does my browser keep shitting itself?

even FF does it.
>>
How big is chromium and iridium? I've been reading up and the home site says I should expect 100gb to take my disk space, 30gb for iridium according to their github.

I've been hoping to compile Iridium but I only have access to shitty third-world bandwidth capped internet so I haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>55384516
>insurance for in-house items
Personal property coverage

Thanks, I'll call WD tomorrow or something, if it doesn't work I'll sell it to buy a new one. Thanks.
>>
File: Untitled.png (787KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
787KB, 1600x900px
>>55374211
Is this a scam?
>>
File: Untitled.png (716KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
716KB, 1600x900px
>>55384654
Other seller sell for $189.00, if this is not a scam this is indeed a steal for me.
>>
Getting mixed answers.
Will a 9370 vischera run in a crosshair iv mobo that has been flashed with the beta bios 3029?
>>
Is there any point to a sound card for 3D sound in games, or is on board in headphone mode fine?
>>
>>55384827
You dont need sound cards unless you're streaming or doing pro audio
>>
>>55384493 again
so I'm having a shit fucking day with my storage, as my seatools app just informed me not only is my portable on its way out, but at least it has warranty, so is my desktop external, which doesn't.
What's the best option for a large desktop external? I was looking at the 5TB because Best Buy has them on sale for $129 and I was considering making 2, 2.5 TB partitions for windows and OSX, but is there something more economic / smarter?
I mostly use them for music / movies / porn / anime, as despite the mac's small internal ssd I only really use it for school and itunes and so on
>>
>>55384862
What if I want to soft swap between speakers and headphones?
>>
How accurate is this tier list?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Would you buy a tier one psu for a mid tier build like a i5 and a rx 480/r9 390/970?

A tier two or three is fine, r-right?
>>
>>55384903
buy the best you can, if you can spend a bit more on a tier one PSU do so.
It will give you space to upgrade in the future. Say in 2 years you want a new GPU that happens to draw just a bit more maybe, if you went cheap now suddenly you want that new GPU but you will need a 100 dollar PSU along with it, and also, it's just safer for your investment. Cheaper the PSU the more likely it'll just fry the fuck out of your PC.
>>
>>55384903
EVGAs are good, there's a 10 year warranty you can sign up for, they're modular and there's a neat little 'eco' switch on the back that keeps the fan from spinning up unless it's actually hot.
>>
>>55384948
From what I see the 500w to 700w are almost the same price, but the price from tiers are pretty different.

Seasonic Silent s12II 650w is 1/3 cheaper than a Corsair RMi 650w. The seasonic is a tier below the corsair.
>>
>>55385036
Just trust me and shell out a little bit more. PSU is the last thing to cheap out on when it comes to making your build.
>>55384977 gave some good advice too, I recommend the EVGA
>>
All pictures I take with my phone is rotated. In the gallery they look normal, but when I upload to 4chan they are sideways. How do I prevent this shit from happening?
>>
>>55384903
>>55385036
Why are you considering an arbitrary "tier" list?
>>
>>55385110
Because I don't have enough knowledge about psu and how they work.
>>
I'm trying to move Windows 10 from a 1tb HDD to a 250gb ssd. What is the best way to do so?
>>
Is there anything wrong with AMD processors or is hating them also a meme?
>>
>>55385095
Try not being a dumb phoneposter.
>>
>>55385164
fite me fagit
>>
>>55385176
R-relax, geez.
It was a joke.
>>
>>55385186
Not so tough now, huh?
>>
File: asdf.png (195KB, 1543x2291px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
195KB, 1543x2291px
so my coworker told me that his computer got fucked up by cerber ransomware. i was listening to his story and i thought "why not check my computer and see what has gathered in these 20 years, just for the hell of it?" so i DL Avast, make it work through the night and got some reports
my question is: how can i guess, by the threat name, which stuff is unwanted/potentially dangerous and which is not? (like malware i keep on purpose) is there some site with a list of these with explanation what they exactly do?
>>
Is fucking google jewing hard lately?

I'm having mutiple captcha retries, when i know i typed it right, as it was a 3 number captcha
>>
I have a question.

Lets say i create another partition.

It will be the original C and D.
And move all the stuff i want to keep to D and reinstall Windows in C.

Will the Windows installer delete D or the stuff on it?

>>55385194
>Avast
Run Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and JRT.
Also what did your coworker did that managed to get some ransomware.

Virustotal gives a small explanation about some pages and malware work iirc.
But, why do you want to keep the malware?
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 360x449px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 360x449px
Running windows 10. My computer lost internet connection with my home wifi network about an hour ago. All other devices can still connect via wifi, and my computer can see other networks, but my home network is simply not showing up in my list of available networks. An attempt to manually add it gave me absolutely nothing. What should I do?

Also, already rebooted computer and router+modem multiple times, both seperately and at the same time.

pic unrelated
>>
>>55385254
does it really matter which antivirus i use if it's more for keks?
my coworker got some mail and he's a moron
>why do you want to keep the malware?
well, let's pick cafeini: i have a sentiment for it. it was fun when i was a kid
then there's theZoo which is an archive of random stuff which i keep for archival's sake
but the thing is, if i google up 4ex: bitcoinminer-A, i can read scary stories about it. but then i check which file has it, see cgminer.exe and i know that it's the sole purpose of this program. same for Cheat Engine, keyloggers, cracks and simmilar
>>
I have a brand new fucking mouse, its 3 days old.And its fucking up like the other 3 mice of different brands.
It worked fine till right now.
It freezes randomly,when take it off the desk, it jumps to the left/right of the position it was left at.It takes 10-30s to come back alive after its left untouched.
Its not the usb ports, keyboard and other devices work.
Im just using the basic hid mouse drivers on linux. There is no other drivers for it. What could be the cause?
>>
File: tumblr_o3he5wllzH1th0nuko2_1280.jpg (375KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3he5wllzH1th0nuko2_1280.jpg
375KB, 1080x1920px
>>55374211
I'm looking to get a USB hub that sits on my desk, that I can use to charge like 2-3 devices at once, and power a raspberry pi.

Suggestions?
>>
>>55385254
Virustotal doesn't give me the kind of information, i'm looking for. if there's some site that has a behavioral analysis of each malware, that'd be perfect
>>
How am I unable to run a second monitor with an analog DVI cable on an R9 390?

Shit's not working senpai.
>>
>>55385756
Do you have an active cable?
>>
Why does 1080p look so much better in linux than windows? I need windows on my laptop for work but i'm tired of my native resolution looking so...wrong. How can I change this?
>>
>>55385764
Tried changing the cable twice and still nothing. Also tried a Display Port to DVI adapter and still nothing.
>>
>>55374211
so this thing called netbar just apeared on my laptop screen. what do i do and can i get rid of it?
>>
>>55385843
Card is shit, or monitor is shit
>>
Going to upgrade from win 7 to 10
1) will i have to install all drivers again
2) will all my exe files will get corrupt, like games and softwares like steam, antivirus and all
3) will anything in my computer will get deleted
>>
>>55385853
Card is fine on first digital monitor and the second analog monitor works with my old 270x.
>>
Im building a new PC right now. Im looking at watercoolers to choose from. I enjoyed my Glacer 240L because on my 5820k stock it idled around 26-29C.

But I'm looking at a new AIO because the Glacer pump started making noises within 6 months and it was disappointing.

All of the reviews im seeing are showing coolers that are "excellent" with idles around 44C. Notably tweaktest and benchmarkreviews.

How is 44C an acceptable idle? Is this during a stress test that they have forgotten to mention?

I'm looking to buy the Kraken X61 280mm AIo and possibly put my own fans on it for noise level reason but for the love of god why is it being praised for 44C?
>>
Anyone know how long the queue for EVGA step up takes? I put my 980ti in for a step-up to the 1080.
>>
what's the best way to troubleshoot a fucked PC?

I built mine 2 years ago and it worked completely fine until a few months ago when i got some minor freezing / crashing issues.

i tried to swap power supplies with an old PC and somehow managed to make my hard drive stop spinning. so i figured it must've been the hard drive giving me problems. it worked totally fine, original PSU and everything just removed the HDD, and now i get home and for some totally random reason it bluescreens on the login screen.

I figure it has to be the PSU, RAM, or motherboard. a coworker told me to look around in the BIOS as well but I don't know what i'm looking for.
>>
Why don't Microsoft and other companies buy the 0 day shit that is being sold on dark web for their products and fix it before anyone else gets to use it?
>>
>>55374211
Is there a way to change my ip so when im using my data to not have to turn it off and on several times to evade a rule violation that I did not commit? Getting pretty tired turning airplane mode on and off 16 times
>>
if water is so good at conducting electricity, why don't they use hoses as data cables?
>>
>>55385944
no
no
no
>>
Any sense in waiting for Kaby Lake?
>>
>>55385944
no to all
but if you plan on reverting, all changes you make since when you install win10 will not stick
>>
>>55386293
pure water is not a conductor, conductivity relies on things being in solution

>>55386442
no
>>
>>55386442
No, unless you plan on getting a CPU based in the IGPU alone.
>>
>>55376638
it's a fake reading. Check the BIOS for an accurate one.
>>
I upgraded to 6th gen intel but i was fine with my oc'd 2500k. Does anyone else feel this way?
>>
Kubuntu just shit the bed and won't boot anymore.

What should I have been using instead?
>>
I'm using pycharm professional under the free student license. It says that it's only for non-professional use.

Is there any way that they would know that I'm using it out of license if I start using it for work?
>>
I have this distortion/staticy sound that shows up when the audio has lots of bass in it I believe, or when the audio level spikes up into a bassy explosion or something like that.
I noticed it last night playing Tomb Raider, as well as just now while trying to play a movie.

What's causing the issue? Could it be that the movie is a shitty torrent and the game is poorly optimized as well? Or do I need a new pair of headphones? Could it be my onboard audiocard on my motherboard perhaps?

Thanks guys.
>>
>>55386587
It's your rx 480 overheating the motherboard and messing up the audio in the process.
>>
can anyone post a link on how to remove a battery in a acer es1-511-c35L laptop? cant find a tutorial, and afraid to progress without damaging it. i've located the battery, but cant tell what to disconnect. i have a knack for breaking these things when trying to find out on my own.
>>
File: 1346048343700.jpg (113KB, 696x934px) Image search: [Google]
1346048343700.jpg
113KB, 696x934px
I run windows7 basic so it doesn't allow me to encrypt my files normally so,

Any suggestions to good/FREE encryption software?
>>
>>55386932
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkad-3rKPM
was follwing this one but he doesnt actually disconnect the battery.
my nephew spilled some water on it and someone recommended unplugging the battery, letting it dry, and trying it with and without the battery
>>
If i buy an unlocked phone from the states, namely a nexus 6p, will a SIM card from canada work for it? on Telus, if that matters
>>
>>55386576
Probably not.
But you turn into a legal liability for whatever you're working for, so you shouldn't do it anyway.
>>
I blown out my amp using the wrong power adapter.

Any way to figure out whats wrong with it and is it possible to fix by replacing caps?

shit smells
>>
Alternatives to virtualbox? I don't feel like installing Oracle software. I'm on Windows.
>>
>>55386994
VMware

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0
>>
how do i make files inaccessible to other accounts? Like whole drives anyway. I got relatives coming over and I don't want them going through my folders when i set up their accounts
>>
>>55387008
Wasn't it non-free?
>>
File: IMG_0083.jpg (836KB, 1337x1783px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0083.jpg
836KB, 1337x1783px
What am I doing with all this crap on my desk?
>>
>>55387059
It's proprietary.
But it doesn't cost anything for "personal use".
>>
>>55374211
Anybody know why I'm getting such shit performance in Timesplitters: Future Perfect in Dolphin?

I'm running Windows 10 with an i5-4670k and 2gb GTX 770. Dolphin 5.
>>
File: speccy.png (42KB, 674x532px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
42KB, 674x532px
Another typical what do I upgrade thread. I'm trying to target ultra 1080p gaming, and I play mostly Overwatch, FFXIV, and am probably gonna grab the newest shit AAA games when they release (BF1, Titanfall 2 to play with friends)

I'm assuming my CPU is the upgrade I want, but I also hear good things about the 480. If I upgrade my CPU, whats a good solid CPU to upgrade to? I assume it'd be an i5, but I also dont want to break the bank too much, and if I do go i5 I'd end up having to get a somewhat smaller tier motherboard.
>>
>>55387097
That CPU has gotta go anon.
>>
>>55386976
You want to make sure the phone you're using is comparable with the bands telus uses, but otherwise yes.
>>
>>55386994
If you're using windows 8 or 10 pro you can just use hyper-v and just skip 3rd party apps altogether
>>
>>55387103
I figured. It's served me well. Any recommendations that you'd give? I know of logical increments and stuff, but I want a few other opinions
>>
>>55376920
I use Waterfox. It's similar to Firefox but faster.
>>
Thinking of upgrading to a 970. Should I upgrade my i5 4570 too? Maybe just sell this PC and build a new one? All it's parts are 3-4+ years old. I use it for lots of video editing, rendering and video gaems.

Intel i5-4570 X4 3.2GHz
AMD 7950 3GB
>>
>>55387097
Actually you *might* be able to get away with that CPU. It's right on the borderline. I would update your graphics card first, and see if you're maxing out the processor during games. Nvidia's architecture happens to be lighter on the processor so you might have more luck if you go "green". I'd also check that your power supply has enough wattage
>>
>>55387140
Going to take a look at that, thank you.
>>
>>55387216
No. PCs don't age like they used to. That processors going to be ideal for a few more years. Get a new gen of graphics card unless you find a 970 for like $150
>>
>>55385457
bump
>>
>>55387255
Gotcha, thanks.

A new gen like a 1070? I'd lose to but it's double the price and hard to find. I only wanna run games 1080p 60fps and use shadowplay.
>>
>>55387296
love to*
>>
File: Capture.jpg (66KB, 785x526px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
66KB, 785x526px
Would I be able to run Rust on the lowest setting?
>>
I've decided to learn C as my first language. Any good sources you guys recommend? How about compilers? Should I use an IDE or something like notepad? Any advice is recommended
>>
>>55387296
It's rumored that Nvidia is going to announce the 1060 this week. Could be what your looking for. Also I think this powergate thing with the 480 is being blown way out of proportion, and it will probably end up being sorted out with firmware updates or the second generation of the card.
>>
>>55387229
You think? I was debating waiting for the 1060 and see whats up.

My PSU is 650W so I am 100% sure I'll be able to run whatever I stick in it without having to worry about power consumption.

as for CPU usage, I know I'm hitting 70-80% regularly, but even OC'd It's not running that hot which is great (thanks HyperT4)

If I were to upgrade CPU instead of GPU, would I have better luck getting a used CPU/mobo from last gen or so or something?
>>
how do i make files inaccessible to other accounts? Like whole drives anyway. I got relatives coming over and I don't want them going through my folders when i set up their accounts
>>
>>55387243
>>55387008
Apparently, those two softwares are only available on 64-bit versions. My Windows is 32-bit. Guess I'll just have to stick with VirtualBox.,
>>
>>55387390
Use Windows permissions within properties to set yourself as the owner
>>
>>55387408
Oh great, which one do i do though? The options are
Authenticated Users
System
Administrators (Admin-PC/Administrators)
Users (Admin-PC/Users)

I ask because users also has admin PC and I don't want to accidentally lock myself out.

thanks btw
>>
I have a mouse with those little forward/back buttons on the side. Is there a way I can re-jigger the priority of the mouse buttons so that I can press those while holding down left click and have it register?
>>
>>55387400
What processor do you have? It doesn't sound like you're going to have a lot of power to devote to the vm
>>
>>55387387
I don't know how much money you'll save but you can definitely run a 4th or 5th gen i5 and get great results in gaming. Even 3rd gen in a pinch. Just think of each generation as being an unspoken 0.2 Ghz faster than the last when you're trying to compare value.
>>
>>55387438
None of the above. Select the files in Explorer, right click, properties, Security tab.
>>
>>55387509
that's exactly where I am and that's where those things I wrote are though..

what do I do after I'm in the security tab?
>>
>>55387446
AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.1 GHz, but I need a VM to emulate a Linux program. I'm not planning to do anything heavy.
>>
>>55385155
depends on what you use them for.
new amd ones are out in six months brah i'd wait lad.
>>
>>55387502
Awesome, that sounds great. Been scouring the local CL but there's nothing. You'd think in Houston that there'd be more used CPU/mobo's about huh?
>>
>>55387522
What's in it right now? Files in my account only seem to have me, SYSTEM, and Administrators listed there. That means non-admin users can't access the files.

If Users or Everyone are listed, uncheck all the permission boxes for them. Do NOT check the deny boxes unless you're doing it for a specific user you want to deny. Deny overrides allow, and you're also a member of Users and Everyone, so it would deny you as well.
>>
>>55387541
>Deny overrides allow, and you're also a member of Users and Everyone, so it would deny you as well.
that's exactly what I was afraid of so I didn't test it. phew. But I want to deny the new account I created but it doesn't show up here it's just users which is Users (Admin-PC/Users)

what do I do to make sure he can't get in but I can?
>>
>>55387438
If the other user accounts are also administrator accounts, there's no way to absolutely lock them out. But they would have to know enough about security settings to manually take permissions, so you're probably alright. What you want to do is go to advanced> change permissions> Uncheck include inheritable and check replace all. Then you should be able to remove permissions from all groups and user accounts except your own
>>
>>55387570
thanks man
>>
>>55387555
You can click Add and type in their account name, then check Deny on everything. Since you're not them, it won't deny you.

Do test by going into the new account and seeing what you have access to.

Note that if you screw up and deny yourself access, you can still fix it if you're an admin -- it will still let you edit the permissions to fix it.

And if it isn't obvious, you should create the temp account as a limited account, not an admin.
>>
>>55387599
Where can I go to click add? Everything else I got covered, cheers.
>>
File: IMG_20160703_020254998.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_020254998.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
Why is this not working?
>>
File: add.png (30KB, 740x482px) Image search: [Google]
add.png
30KB, 740x482px
>>55387610
>>
>>55387650
What am I looking at? Context is required.
>>
My younger brother bought a preowned HP prebuilt off some dude. Initially it was working just fine but he complained about the loud CPU fan. So I replaced it for him + reapplied the thermal paste while I was at it. Because I had to get to the other side of the MOBO to unscrew the old CPU fan I temporarily unplugged a few things, including removing the GPU.

Now the system fails to display an image after booting it. I've tried running it off the HDMI and the DVI port on the GPU and neither works. I've also tried running it off the CPU's integrated graphics and that doesn't work either. What could the issue be?
>>
>>55387658
holy shit im fuckin blind. sorry and thank you
>>
Is it stupid to buy a 970?
>>
>>55387666
You click div "00", if its bg is 1-1_1.jpg, change it to 1-1_2.jpg, if it is 1-1_2.jpg, change it to 1-1_1.jpg.
>>
>>55387696
yes
>>
>>55387696
Right now? yes.
>>
>>55387698
Oh. I see your bug.

You've basically said this:
if(x == 1) {
x = 2;
}
if(x == 2) {
x = 1;
}

Let's step through it. Let's say x is 1 going in. We see if it's 1. It is, so we set it to 2. Now we see if it's 2. It is, so we set it to 1.

The correct code would be more like
if(x == 1) {
x = 2;
} else {
x = 1;
}
>>
>>55385155
Shit single core perfomance, good multicore perfomance, great APUs for low end computers.

But since everything is made with single core perfomance in mind Intel is usually better in every way.
>>
>>55387749
Also that Intel blows AMD away on high end chips.

I'd go with AMD for a budget computer because they're pretty good on bang-for-the-buck, enable all the microcode features like AMD-V and so forth even on low-end chips, and have a half-decent integrated GPU. And I'd go with Intel for high end because AMD can't come close to the performance of an i7 or Xeon.
>>
>>55387669
Never mind. The CPU does not have any integrated graphics (i5-3350P) which I realised after some googling. So it's likely something wrong with the GT 630 in the system i guess.
>>
>>55387786
Well AMD doesn't currently have high end CPUs, only mid end, and they are really old.
>>
>>55387745
I put in an else but the if is weirdly declared, when I take the statement out of it, it works, it doesn't work even if I leave just one if.
>>
>>55387745
how do you make these boxes appear?
>>
>>55387696

If you can find one that is cheaper than a 480 (which you can in my country) I'd say go for it. It can beat a 480 when you factor in overclocking.
>>
in relation to the CPU hunting, I assume Biostar boards are shit? because this looks like a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biostar-TP67XE-Intel-i5-3570k-TX3-V-Color-16GB-4-x-4GB-DDR3-1600Mhz-/122031380931?hash=item1c69a319c3:g:tBUAAOSwhOVXdPGt
>>
People on here have told me it's a good idea to get both an SSD and HDD storage setup for my new PC build, and use the SSD for the OS while the HDD can be saved for large files I'll need to store long-term, like videos.
That sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm a completely inexperienced PC builder and I'm wondering if this is dual setup is going to cause, and what type of data I need to relegate to each drive.

Also, what would be considered the minimum capacity for each drive? From what I understand, I want at least 256GB for the SSD if I'm installing the OS onto it, and the HDD is entirely up to me?
>>
>>55387819
>>
>>55387847
You know this is stupid questions thread right? I'm asking cause I don't know how to do it.
>>
>>55387847
>>55387854
I attempted to answer but the tag parser ate the relevant part of it.

Fucking hell, let's try that again.
[ c o d e ] ... [ / c o d e ]
So much for trying to be clever using a zero width space.
>>
>>55387696
Yes. Wait for 3rd party and revised first party 480 cards to see if the power issues are fixed, and compare the price, while keeping in mind that the 970 begins to fail at around 3.85 gig usage due to being an under-capacity card.
>>
>>55387860
ah alright thanks, this is some good shit
>>
>>55387844
*if this dual setup is going to cause problems
>>
Are there any chain stores that I can try mechanical keyboards firsthand at? I doubt Cuck Buy will have a good selection of switches.
>>
>>55387896
And you'd be right. All the regular big box and office stores I've been to have all rubber dome.
>>
I'm remoting into a Netgear C7000, and I followed the instructions on how to set up OpenVPN like it instructed, and I see my hostname and IP addresses in the Attached Devices menu.

The problem is whenever I go out to an IP check website, it displays my actual address instead of the one I'm connecting to. Google results aren't telling me how to fix this, only whether or not the shits working.
>>
I'm not a computer wizard, but I've (to my knowledge) never encountered a computer virus. Yet I see computer threads on here and other sites that mention the best anti-virus software and where to get it.

What gives? Am I not going to the right porn sites? Do I need to install Limewire? Should I ditch my private tracker site and head to piratebay or kickasstorrents instead?
>>
>>55388216
No, simply you have good common sense.

In 3 years i only have been infected 5 times.

And 3 out those 5 times were for lack of precaution from downlading shady/cracked porn.

Its really rare to get infected if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>55388243
Ok, thanks. I just hear about "what anti-virus do you recommend?" and all I ever can think to say is "I don't. Just don't download shady things."

I go to the same porn stream sites I have been for years now and I only download shit from blackcatgames or nyaa.
>>
>>55388216
I used to have an antivirus back in the day, but stopped using one since the one time I actually got a virus it didn't catch it and I spent about 30 minutes digging it out manually. The rest of the time it just made my PC a little slower and heckled me about debuggers and reverse engineering tools I used.

Blocking ads and javascript most places goes a long way to avoiding viruses. Common sense avoids almost all the remaining ones. Private trackers won't have infected software. Heck, even on Pirate Bay you can be fairly certain a torrent is clean if it has a bunch of comments and none say it's a virus.

I've encountered enough viruses apart from that, but just haven't gotten infected. If I know it's probably a virus but still want to see if it contains that video or wallpaper it promises, I'll download it and run it in a VM.
>>
>>55388307
Well that is because people who ask that are inexperienced about malware and download any antivirus and go around with no care.

Like the usual person will install anything without reading it, doesnt matter where they downloaded it from.
Or will go to shady streaming websites that inject malware in their browsers (1x1 gif inject exploit, base inject browser exploit, javascript or flash exploit, etc) and weren't protected against it (Ublock Origin/uMatrix/Not using a decent browser).

>>55388358
>but stopped using one since the one time I actually got a virus it didn't catch it and I spent about 30 minutes digging it out manually.

Thank god you dont have to do this anymore.
Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner do the job just fine this days, its rare to get infected with something where you need to do something else to get rid of it.

Accidentally pasted something.
>>
>>55388388
>Accidentally pasted something.
Yeah. I was about to respond with "wrong ctrl+v?"

The automated tools are way better now. That was 2005 iirc.
>>
>>55384302
thank you so much, i was a about to buy rca to hdmi cable.
>>
What's that one gay manga that's like chinese or something about the one guy who seduces an assumed straight guy after drinking his salivia when the guy steps on him and spits on the dude then they fuck eventually
>>
>>55388456
what the fuck
>>
>>55388456
That's a stupid question for sure.
>>
>>5538845
angstory?

It's a classic.
https://imgur.com/a/BDQlr
https://imgur.com/a/d3PND
>>
File: 1419110946083.jpg (62KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
1419110946083.jpg
62KB, 500x314px
>>55388586
Thank you kindly you wonderful faggot
>>
>>55388456
Sadpanda thread is 6 blocks down anon.
>>
>>55376450
anyone?
>>
I want to PXE boot xubuntu from my Windows machine. How can I do it real ez and quick?
>>
>>55387844
No problems. Just be sure to install windows to the SSD. Then you move your user folders (desktop downloads my docs etc) onto the HDD by going to your user folder opening up each of their properties and changing their location one at a time. I'd also install steam and all it's games to the HDD to avoid any cross drive issues. I'd say most people can actually get away with a 120gb. The only thing that really takes up a lot of space on the system drive is programs, any you can install most of them to the HDD if you're pinched for space.
>>
>>55374211
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tower-Side-blown-BDK-12025-Quiet-CPU-Cooler-Radiator-Heatsink-2-Heatpipes-G71F-/141825242408?hash=item2105717528:g:0nEAAOSw14xWQu0p

How does this cooler compare to the stock Intel Sandy Bridge cooler?
>>
Is there a way to limit the CPU usage on Mac OS X?

I'm working on a relatively large C++ codebase atm and compiling ramps up the fan and it's very annoying and people start turning heads etc. when I work in the library.

I don't mind if it takes 10 seconds longer as long as it doesn't start a fucking helicopter every time I compile and at least 3 minutes after it finishes.
>>
>>55388917
Clean your PC and repaste it.
>>
>>55388917
Just use it normally and it will thermally throttle itself pretty quickly.
>>
>>55388961
It's a fucking Macbook. I have no idea how to even open it.

>>55388970
It does, but that doesn't help with the fan. It still runs hot as fuck and the fan will ramp up. I want to keep CPU usage at 50% or so in the first place so that the fan doesn't ramp up AT ALL
>>
So I have a stupid question (funny that). I am looking for software to perform general maintenance on my hard drives is there anything that /G/ can suggest?
>>
>>55389052
which OS?
and why do you need that?
>>
new thread >>55389080
new thread >>55389080
new thread >>55389080
>>
>>55389072

Im on windows atm and the tools that it has inbuilt really annoys me.
>>
>>55389104
any modern windows does its maintenance automatically in the background already, you shouldn't have to do anything yourself
>>
>>55389112

well then something must be wrong, because my harddrives are not healthy at the moment
>>
>>55389119
so what's the problem?
how about a little bit more information instead of "something doesn't work"
>>
>>55389119
What makes you say that?
>>
>>55389127

From what i can tell they are fragmented as hell and need to check if the sectors are still ok
>>
>>55389145

dont worry /g/ im an idiot, managed to get it working
>>
>>55384198
are you 12?
>>
File: sewer.jpg (462KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sewer.jpg
462KB, 1600x1200px
if you buy windows along with pc parts on some website, in what media does it come?

is it in a usb drive? in a dvd?

i never bought windows but i'm going to build a pc for my dad who does professional potoshopping and i figured i'd better get him a legit windows copy with it instead of pirating it like i do for myself.
>>
>>55389362
It comes on a DVD but you can just make a USB installer and use the included key.
>>
>>55389380
ok, I thought they might have switched to usb because usb drives are so cheap nowadays, and nobody even has a dvd reader on new pc.
>>
>>55389318
being honest here, 17. If i get banned, i deserve that. The only thing i know is there is hdmi and vga, nothing else. but my question was answered anyway
>>
downloaded a movie from tpb
try to play in vlc: "DRM protected streams are not supported."
how do I fix this?
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.