[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think they couldn't have fucked up more badly than this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Swift_logo.svg.png (104KB, 2000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Swift_logo.svg.png
104KB, 2000x1800px
I think they couldn't have fucked up more badly than this.
Well, Objective-C was very VERY bad, and I sincerely feel those who had to deal with it and develop iOS apps for a living, but at least Objective-C was an actual language.
Swift looks like a half-finished product. I just can't believe that someone authorized the release. It would have NEVER happened with Steve. RIP.

I'll start listing what's wrong with swift and why it should be considered a joke:
>struct class enum types which are almost the same
>optional types. god this is top, it literally solves something that was never a problem. passing around NULL values has to do with sw design skills and no language feature will ever be able to prevent a shitty developer from dereferencing a NULL pointer. optional types just remind you that the thing might be null, more or less like Haskell's Maybe, but who stops you from unwrapping a var that contains nothing? oh but you knew it could be nothing...
>guard statements and optional binding. this feature smells like they absolutely had to come up with some way to justify using optional types
>function calls that require to specify the name of the parameter except for the first one
 doSomething("param1", param2: "param2") 

>Xcode can't refactor swift code
>function signatures with parameter aliases. just... why?
>verbosity. it was Apple's chance to give up lengthy Obj-C-style method names. some people argue that code documents itself. it's just bullshit.
>no implementation of a default XML parser
>unintuitive ridiculous syntax. splitting a string in java is someString.split("-"). splitting a string in swift is someString.characters.split{$0=="-"}.map(String.init)
>casting with "as" keyword. Oh and don't forget to force casting with 'as!' or 'as?'
>?? operator
>just WHY did they feel the need to invent a new syntax? why?
>>
you sound buttsore
>>
Where did Tim Cook touch you?
>>
>>55342264
All of the extremely popular statically typed languages are basically shit anyways. You have to get down into niche territory like Ocaml and F# if you want a decent statically typed language.

OO was a mistake.
>>
>>55342264
the '??' operator sums up swift as a whole
 mycoolvariable ?? nil 
LOL
>>
>>55342264
Holy fuck, these concerns are all so goddamn trivial. You sound like a college freshman in OO classes who has never laid eyes on anything but C-like langs and imperative/OO paradigms.

I suggest you save this post so that you in 5-10 years can look back on how much of a shitstain you were.
>>
>>55345026
2 rupees have been deposited in your loo Rajeesh.
>>
File: 0013.png (131KB, 243x301px) Image search: [Google]
0013.png
131KB, 243x301px
>>55345026
>C-like langs and imperative/OO paradigms
that's what the 99% of the real world software is written in
>>
>>55342264
everything you said is factually inaccurate

git. gud.
>>
>>55342264
>lengthy method names
why? it's not like you ever have to type them, everything is auto-completed for you. and on the Retina Display™ you have plenty of space for descriptive, unambiguous names.

>casting with "as" keyword. Oh and don't forget to force casting with 'as!' or 'as?'
you do not have a grasp of The Optional Type. That is your folly.

in4fter rupees
>>
>>55342264
>>struct class enum types which are almost the same
what is a protocol?

>>optional types. god this is top, it literally solves something that was never a problem. passing around NULL values has to do with sw design skills and no language feature will ever be able to prevent a shitty developer from dereferencing a NULL pointer. optional types just remind you that the thing might be null, more or less like Haskell's Maybe, but who stops you from unwrapping a var that contains nothing? oh but you knew it could be nothing...
>no language feature will ever be able to prevent a shitty developer from dereferencing a NULL pointer
pretty sure the language designers are aware, buddy. it's better to crash in development than production, that's basically why.

>>function calls that require to specify the name of the parameter except for the first one
most funcs have one parameter. it's just syntactic sugar. why not?
>>
>>55342264
sounds like you're trying to write C# style code in Swift
>>
It came swiftly, and went swiftly (into obscurity).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.