[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vidya programming (not general "development" with ready-made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1415660521326_3.jpg (209KB, 960x667px) Image search: [Google]
1415660521326_3.jpg
209KB, 960x667px
What is the best API or framework for beginning vidya programming, and why is it XNA/Monogame?

It doesn't provide a ready-made rendering engine with too many ready-made data structures and whatnot, but isn't low-level enough that you have to constantly worry about low-level implementation issues as you try to learn the necessary 3D math, and using C# over C++ means (as far as I understand) generally cleaner code with no need to think about memory management, not even RAII.

Later on, one can mess around with graphics APIs proper and learn how to deal with lower level issues/those automatically handled by XNA, but for learning and quickly applying 3D math it has so far been great for me.

What are some frameworks and APIs you recommend, and why?
>>
>>55280687
>What is the best API or framework for beginning vidya programming, and why is it XNA/Monogame?

Why are you shilling, do you not have anything else to do?
>>
>>55280687
>not general "development" with ready-made engines and whatnot
>immediately starts talking about XNA
>>
>>55280687
>3d math
>babby's first linear transformation
>>
>>55281364
I mean things like Irrlicht and whatnot
>>
I've written my own game engine. I wanted to prototype my game idea in UE4 but was having too much trouble trying to get shaders up and running and it was really kind of overkill in some areas and underwhelming in others.
>>
>>55281384
Oops, I meant to quote this guy: >>55281133
>>
How does one program a sweet retro game like OP's picture?

There's something about retro games that made them ridiculously awesome. They had underpowered computers and obtuse-ass video hardware to work with and they still out-awesome so many recent titles.
>>
>>55282823
Like every other game? Making a game "retro" is literally all art and has nothing to do with programming at all.
If you need it to run on shit hardware you just have to manage your memory and CPU usage carefully.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.