[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am looking at Steam Machines. I know they are overpriced.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Debian.png (26KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
26KB, 300x224px
I am looking at Steam Machines. I know they are overpriced.

Is it possible to build something similar? I have a very small desk in my new apartment, and my huge gaming rig is outdated. So time to upgrade.

But I want it in the smallest tower possible to preserve room. This wil be for gaming only as my laptop is my work laptop. What term are these mini-towers found on newegg, tigerdirect, etc?

Second idea I had was to buy a laptop workstation and switch out the graphics card and use that for work and gaming.
>>
Enjoy playing shitty 2D indie trash
>>
>>55270826
Build a small formfactor pc. Forget the "steam machine" shit, use it as a normal media center, with "big picture" as a normal media option.

What does building a living room streaming/gaming machine have to do with Steam anyway? Just use Steam on it and be happy.
>>
>>55270826
>http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown?l=english
>>
>>55270847
2010 called, they want their meme back
>>
Make a gaming rig and install steamos for free
BAM you now have a cheaper steam machine
>>
>>55270936
Allow me to rephrase. Enjoy being able to play only an extremely small fraction of games on Steam.
>>
>>55270883
>>55270979
this
>>
Guys, I think I misrepresented what I was asking.

My apartment room is small. I do not want a giant gaming rig taking up a lot of space and giving off a lot of heat.

I do want to go back into gaming since I have spent thousands on Steam.

From the replies, I guess a mini-tower is called "formfactor". That is all I was asking. I will be sure to include a great cooling system if possible, because my XPS always made the room sweaty when it was on,

But I am stil considering buying a Dell Precision and changing out the GPU than buying a Latitude and building a "formfactor".
>>
>>55271085
there are many mITX cases and mainboards out there. many of them fit a full size GPU in it. go for that if you don't want to waste much space with a big tower pc.
No matter how you cool your PC it will heat your room.
>>
>>55271085
just go and build a Mini-ITX computer. Its small and comfy, and depending on how much you're willing to invest in it, it can be as strong as a full fledged gaming computer without any problems.

The main drawback is being limited with only once PCIe slot (so only one graphics card) but that's not a big deal.

Small, lightweight, potentially portable, but a powerhouse as well. Just make it to the specifications that you desire
>>
>>55271261
>>55271277
Thanks guys, I'll do this. I guess I'm getting a Latitude or Thinkpad then
>>
>>55271015
you can install windows on a steambox you fucking idiot
>>
>>55271787
Well then it wouldn't be a steam box idiot, it would just be a micro atx gaming pc
>>
>>55272095
OP here: I never wanted a Steam Machine per se. I just wanted something small/console sized like the steam machines in order to save desk and room space in my apartment and hopefully keep the heat down.

I just didn't know the name for the type of tower to buy. I wil scavage parts from my old XPS PC.

I am going to make a second thread asking about my laptop choice since every reply has been about the steam machine. I know this SM is a piece of shit and expensive, but if I can make a tiny tower PC powerful enough to run my Steam games + BF + WoW, I'll be happy.
>>
>>55272255
Build an ITX memebox and get out.
>>
>>55272287
How about no. no i wont get out faggot
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.