[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me, or is this an insane amount of work to ask a candidate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: interview.jpg (222KB, 785x882px) Image search: [Google]
interview.jpg
222KB, 785x882px
Is it just me, or is this an insane amount of work to ask a candidate to do as an early part of the interview process? I am a back-end developer, so I will pass on this opportunity, but is this the type of stuff that a front-end developer has to put up with just to move forward in the interview process?

All this work, if done properly, seems like it would easily ruin my entire weekend if I attempted this "case study". How long do you think it would take you to complete this exercise? Is a company justified in using such a lengthy task as part of their weed-out process, or should potential candidates tell them to go fuck themselves?
>>
>>55129824
The task is easy especially if they let you use any front-end framework for MVVM/MVC/etc.

The actual work is all that modeling shit at the bottom, it separates the codemonkeys from the people who know how to formalize and work properly in a professional environment
>>
>>55129866
To clarify further, point 2 is easy as it pretty much encapsulates the work you need for the tast, point 3 is laughably easy if you've done any querying, point 1 is work
>>
If you are getting paid why not
>>
>>55129866
>>55129900
The wireframes (point 1) take a shitload of time. There are a lot of requirements listed and a lot of things you must consider. There is making the questions, searching for employees to review you, leaving a review, viewing a list of reviews, viewing the details of a review, etc.

The ERD (point 2) I would argue takes a long ass time as well because you have to think super hard about how to normalize the relationship between different properties such as question bank, users, review request, etc.

>>55129921
You are not paid to do this task, at most this task rewards you a video interview with the team.
>>
It seems like a lot of work, but on the other hand, if it seems like a lot of work, at least you get a chance to demonstrate you are better than a Pajeet.

If the job seems worth it, why not?
>>
>>55129824
>getting desperate coders to do work for free
>THE JOB INTERVIEW

I would reply with a time/cost estimate and deposit amount to start the job.

Even if I was desperate, they would NEVER get the work in their hands. They could look at my notebook screen in an interview. No copies provided.
>>
Companies are free to do this shit if they want to, and candidates are free to ignore it and move on to the next interview if they want. Ultimately this type of thing probably means the company will miss out on devs who know what they are worth and won't jump through these hoops for free, but on the other hand they'll probably always find at least a few people actually willing to do this just for the chance.
>>
>>55130682

I kind of feel the same way. This company makes HR software, so it is possible that they can just take my work and use it for free if they find it to be good enough. I wish I did respond with an hourly rate, that would be hilarious and would probably make a good point to them and what they should consider as their HR screening.
>>
>>55131113
seriously do this

if the manager is smart they'll realize you have business sense and hire you

if the manager is dumb and just wants free work from autistic coders then he won't see the value in your skillset and pass- either way I don't think it's somebody you want to work for
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.