[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calc is way too slow compared to Excel when it comes to process

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: LibreOffice_logo.svg.png (106KB, 2000x439px) Image search: [Google]
LibreOffice_logo.svg.png
106KB, 2000x439px
Calc is way too slow compared to Excel when it comes to process some huge files I have.
What alternative compatible with Linux would you /g/uys recommend?

Also, do you have any general alternative for Open/LibreOffice you would recommend?
>>
>>55122382
Google docs
>>
>>55122382
What part is slow? I'll look at optimising it for you.

The file operation or updating calculations?
>>
>>55122386
I would rather not give Google all the details of my income, purchases and all nor upload it on the internet, I think you’ll understand why

>>55122423
both actually, the calculations that now take ages, and saving the file also is way slower now. But what really bothers me the most are the slow calculations
>>
>>55122382
QtiPlot
>>
>using floating point numbers for financial applications
>>
>>55122464
Can you give me some example files?
>>
File: Rlogo.png (32KB, 200x155px) Image search: [Google]
Rlogo.png
32KB, 200x155px
R
>>
>>55122382
Do evening class
Get a job
Buy something better than a netbook

HTH
>>
if you must use linux, get excel through a remote app, you can use remmina to make it a seamless window even.

or just keep your linux VM's on a server and use a windows laptop like a normal person
>>
>>55122382
Try WPS
>>
>>55122801
I would rather not, there are too many personal info in these.

>>55122844
kek, my computer is without problem fast enough, and I don’t need to get another job beside my 11k/month job.

>>55122471
>>55122824
I would like to have time to learn these and use these, but it would take ages to export my files to these

>>55123258
I’ll try remmina!
I had had too many issues with Windows actually, so I settled with Linux now. Maybe one day, if I have enough time to spare, I’ll try going back to Windows

>>55123385
Thanks, I’ll take a look at that!
>>
>>55123452
Then your only option is MS Office.
>>
Excel is too slow for some huge files I have. -_-
>>
>>55122382
>some huge files I have.
So, how many megabytes are we talking about? If we are getting into a few dozens, then LO starts get show some issues. How many rows and collumns? LO just ignores anything beyond a few thousand, whereas Excel still can read them.
But anyways, this just shows that you should upgrade to a better tool.
Personally, I like python+pandas, with hdf files for storage, and csv only for some key files as a safeguard for backup purposes.
>>55122464
>I would rather not give Google all the details of my income,
WTF?
What the hell are you doing that those files get that big that LO has issues with those?
I thought you was working with database dumps, or scientific data.
Are you sure you are using a PC from this century?
still, what file sizes and collumns/rows are we talking about?
>>
>>55123452
>>55122824
This, really.
Take ages to export your files?

read.xlsx(path/to/file)

and you're done.
>>
>>55122824
I know you don't want to hear this op, but invest some time into learning R. It will save you time and effort in the long run
>>
>>55122824
>R
>fast at all
Pick one and only one.
>>
I have the same problem as op. Working with a financial company, files usually 80 MB and more, several hundred thousands rows and about 30 columns. Slow as hell in LO Calc.
>>
>>55122382
c++ and postgresql
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.