[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently some anon recently(?) made a convincing argument for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: fagwars.jpg (9KB, 308x163px) Image search: [Google]
fagwars.jpg
9KB, 308x163px
Apparently some anon recently(?) made a convincing argument for why Arch is better than Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I advised to search the archives for this but couldn't find it, can somebody fill me in?

Not trying to start a war, I'm genuinely curious about what was said.
>>
Who cares?
No, really, who cares.
When you remove the bragging rights and elitism of how customised your OS is, what you're left with is a computer that you do your daily tasks on.
Does it work? Can you do what you want to do? Perfect, then why care what someone else thinks.
>>
>>55087439
Yes fair enough, but I can still be curious. Mostly I don't understand why so many /g/ays have been ragging on 16.04? Apparently it's shit, somehow, but it's given me no problems at all. I'm not considering switching to Arch, I'm just curious George.
>>
Why would ubuntu be better? Filled with proprietary shit and it has a shitty package manager.
No proper AMD drivers.
>>
>>55087475
I've gotta agree with the other Anon. Okay, you don't know the foundation for the ragging on Ubuntu. Knowing what you do know, however, which do you think is more likely?
a) The reasoning is sensible and enlightening, or
b) it's typical /g/ bullshit.

I think you care too much about something that's more likely than not to be garbage. If you can't notice any glaring issues on your own, you're probably better off just working under the assumption that it's fine to discover them in your own time.
>>
>>55087439
Ok sure. But I'm looking for a new OS, so it's good to be able to see that sort of analysis to help me choose
>>
>>55087346
Read this OP, should answer your questions.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
>>
>>55087439
Yes, this is why I still run Windows XP.
>>
>>55087499
Well it's hard to argue with that.

>>55087494
>proprietary shit
Couldn't care less desu famalam

>shitty package manager
Can vouch for this though, apt is the only one that has managed to nuke itself. Ordinarily I would put my hands up and admit it's probably my fault, but then I remember the time that uninstalling firefox took my entire DE with it. Or that time when autoremove completely. destroyed. everything.

If dnf wasn't so obnoxiously slow I would consider using Fedora again for my daily computing needs.

>>55087591
I miss XP.
>>
>>55087346
I'm at work. I appreciate your concern of not wanting to start a flame war, I run both xubuntu and Arch atm.
I hope the thead is alive when I come back home.
>>
>>55087439
I care.
Not about the elitism or bragging rights, but about having an efficient and flexible work environment.
Actually by making this discussion about bragging rights, you completely miss the point. The bragging rights are a result of having a more efficient workflow, of being able to finish jobs faster, and to not get in environment trouble because you don't know the basics about the OS you're using.
>>
>>55088831
keeping thread alive for you bb.

>>55087346
ubuntu is a great start pointing for beginners, arch is the end point for power users. if that gives you any ideas.
>>
>>55089166
So, if i was starting with ubuntu and started using archlinux (which is my favourite linux distro for desktop) as daily driver i can call myself a poweruser?
>>
>>55089232
using arch does generally make you a power user yes. it forces you to have some (surface) understanding of the filesystem and how it operates, giving you an edge over other users. i used ubuntu in 2008. im using arch now in 2016.
>>
Ping pong fling flong
>>
Yip Wang fang wei
>>
ITT: People who can't compile packages from source, rely too much on package management, and don't know how to use a text editor to customize anything.
>>
>>55089166
>arch is the end point for power users
More an endpoint than the endpoint desu.
>>
>>55090045
Hi there, can you tell me how I would compile this? I am new.

If it is possible would you like to post a step by step guide (or compile yourself and show me)?
https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab
>>
Okay Arch anon here. First of all I will just say that use whatever distro you feel most comfortable with. Linux is all about customization and catering to your needs.
However we keep a high expectation for major distro releases. There is no point denying that Ubuntu has become standard of desktop Linux these days. Notice I said “desktop”, instead of servers.
Being a standard desktop distro and released by a major company like Canonical I really think they should have put at least some testing before making the 16.04 release. As I use Ubuntu I constantly have to fight with redundant problems such as

>They released the LTS with the horrible gtk bug. It’s not just bad, it’s a horrible bug.
I’d personally use KDE only if it were light. LxQt and other Qt DEs has a long way to go. The bug doesn’t let the drop-down menu to stay after the mouse click. If you want to test if the bug exists in your distro: click on the network manager applet > network connections > add. The dropdown menu won’t stay. This is true for many gtk applications.

>Moving the unity panel requires the unity-tweak-tool
And the tool is not installed by default, furthermore the tool has issues (They probably have fixed this by now). They calendar app’s theme is broken. This is not the new Unity 8, this is old 7.

>Checking on “install flash” doesn’t really install flash
Why flash? Because the user decided to. Firefox comes tweaked for Ubuntu so what’s the problem having the installed flash-plugin enabled?
Also the codecs are not installed by the installer as well.

>Minor but installing simplescreenrecorder (via PPA, the only way in Ubuntu if you are not compiling) does not work during the live session

[ctd]
>>
>Experience some ”Internal error” right after the installation

>The new software center is a joke
Canonical decided to go use gnome-software-center. Many K-apps (such as kdevelop, kate) won’t show in your search. However K3b can be found. Even qt apps like Vlc and Virtualbox is there as well. Why do we want this much inconsistency? If the software center is unreliable why would you ship your distro with this?
>Editing /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base won’t change your nameserver, but changing in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head will.
Also, /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail is just not there by default. I know I sound like I am nitpicking but if you ever wanted a secure and reliable DNS service you would know. On Arch you just have to change /etc/resolv.conf to your liking and make it read only.

>The installer does not save WiFi password (anymore?)
Also the updating the system on installation still leaves the distro behind the current repos. Re-update and run into the “internal problem”. Kernel 4+ and you still have to reboot after the update.
>You can’t can’t set a universal (gtk/Qt) theme
Move on to Kubuntu. Boot into the Live CD and witness the widget dimension too small for the one desktop item they have “Install Kubuntu”. Did they even try their own disto?
Arch is not backed by a million dollar corporation. What difference does Ubuntu make if I can get past installation?
You get the latest packages in the AUR. AUR actually works better than PPA.

>Compile it yourself
You can compile in Arch too. The difference is the convenient automated system. In comparison to the PPA, where you add a PPA key to include hundreds of packages you don’t know about, AUR is actually more secure. Here is your task: go compile MPC-Qt in Ubuntu. Arch users just have to do this #packer –S mpc-qt. Want WPS-Office? Go read WPS forums while Arch users just type in #packer –S wps-office
>>
What is an OS that is easy to use and doesn't spy me???????????????
>>
>>55090878
Antergos
>>
>>55090724
>packer
Not yaourt? I've never used anything else, am I missing out?
>>
>>55090959
It's up to you. You have to install yajl (Idk I remember correctly) before yaourt but packer works standalone
>>
>>55090999
Okay cool. It sounds dangerously close to paki too, which makes me laugh.

Checked.
>>
>>55090878
Debian, fedora.
>>55090724
>arch and ubuntu are the only distros
>>
>>55090959
>yaourt
>not checking the arch bible (wiki)
>>
>>55087346
>Not trying to start a war
>post arch logo,
>text about Arch is better than X

Yes Arch is better:
>pacman is great
>AUR is great
up to date packages with upgrades available, in ubuntu you need to compile libraries too.
pro:
The command
yaourt -Syua rutorrent
will install/update rutorrent with all the dependencies.
con:
(sometimes) x dependency will broke y package cause upgrade library is not compatible with it
#yolo cause ain't got time/knowledge to read for malicious code in the AUR, I just install mainstream tho
> large bullshit-less community,
pro:
clean forum without spam or butthurt safe space

con:
no babyfeeding, wipe your tears and RT*M

Ubuntu is for you if you're new to linux, theres a price to be in the coolkidsclub, try antergos, manjaro, packbang for a couple of hours, the try to install arch and see if the all the work is worth. (it will in the long-term)

Just be bi-distro ;^)
>>
>>55089232
>>55089286
>does using arch make me a power user
>does reading a wiki make me a power user
no it does not
>>
>>55092171
But using gentoo does
>install gentoo
>>
>>55089232
only if you install arch and not arch-based distro and solve your issues instead of new install
>>
>>55087346

Arch is a shit. Break xorg constantly. Ubuntu is a shit. Use APT cancer.
>>
>>55092188
What would you recommend then, Ahmed?
>>
>>55092582
>werks
(x)ubuntu

>autism
gentoo

>muh bleeding edge
fedora
>>
>>55093707
>Fedora
dnf is shit though, I mean really bad it keeps me up at night.
>>
>>55087494
>talks about propietary shit
>whines about not having closed amd drivers

Retardus maximus.
>>
>>55092139
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55092188
>Source: /g/ memes.
If you have no idea, don't talk about it
>>
>>55091770
>arch and ubuntu are the only distros
Read the OP, retard
>>
>>55087439
Having my computer run with poor quality code makes me feel physically nauseous.
>>
File: 1456271270443.gif (91KB, 634x400px) Image search: [Google]
1456271270443.gif
91KB, 634x400px
>tfw won't use fedora because of the meme name
>>
>>55095673
same here. I dont know what the fuck they were thinking, but they obviously didnt think it through.
And if they think that a shitty hat is so cool, they obviously arnt thinking.. and if they arnt thinking, their programing has to be a mess.

>type "1167"
>types "1167"
>Error you have mistyped the CAPTCHA™
no I didnt fuck you. I hope everyone involved in making me type this shit captcha thing dies.
>>
>>55097294
Well the meme came out before the distro was out though
>>
What a horrible fucking thread. I can't believe I read all these comments.
>>
>>55090712
>>55090724
Well anyone here for constructive debate?
>>
>>55097417
pretty sure fedora os is older than fedora the meme
>imply fedoras werent a meme the second they were invented
>>
>>55093707
>ubuntu
No it doesn't retard read the thread. And bleeding edge is not a plus whatsoever
>>
>>55095368

>>55085196

You're welcome!
>>
>>55087346
Ubuntu is a distribution made for people who thinks they know what users wants and you spend your time removing things you don't need and founding that lot of packages doesn't behave like its documentation say because gaybuntu developers messed with them.

Archlinux is a distribution made for users who knows what GNU/Linux, reads official docs for packages and let you install what you need starting from a minimal set of packages.
>>
>>55100051
The X server was running you literal illiterate retard
>>
>>55097294
The fedora meme is only a few years old. Fedora the Linux distro has been around since 2003, and was so named because it was based on Red Hat, the logo of which is... you guessed it, a red fedora. And has been since fucking 1993.

Blame the memers, or the fat faggots who wear fedoras these days if you prefer.
>>
Use what does the job you need it to do. I use lubuntu because ubuntu has a lot of support and lxde works really well with my old laptop and makes it feel modern.
>>
>>55100836

Nigger please the fedora meme fits pretty well with fat neckbeard atheist fosstards

In fact it became a meme partially because of them
>>
DNF actually looks alright but fedora is unstable by definition
>>
>>55087439
Oh my GOD, this.
I use a Mac--
>HOMO!!! GAY!!! HAHAHAHA
Shut up.
I use a Mac because it was given to me for my birthday. I still use it for daily tasks.
Give it a break, shitposters.
>>
>>55100895
Be that as it may, the fact is Fedora long predates any meme about the hats. It's also pretty dumb to dismiss it simply because some random anons on a Vietnamese woodcarving forum don't like the name for their own autistic reasons.
>>
>>55087682
>i miss xp

that's just nostalgia. if you actually attempt to use it in a vm or something you'll see how shitty it is now. i set up an xp vm a few weeks ago expecting beauty but then i realized it's not good at all anymore.
>>
Xububtu for president
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.