[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/entoomen, I sold my main PC while it was still worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: $_86.jpg (98KB, 1024x1000px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
98KB, 1024x1000px
Alright /g/entoomen, I sold my main PC while it was still worth something and bought a shitty old dell laptop. Its a Vostro 1520, 4GB DDR2, 160GB SSD, Celeron dual core 2.7GHz.

I was about to install wangblows on it but soon relized how shitty it would be and I cant play games on it anyway. What distro should I install?

Pic related, its the one
>>
File: ted-mosby.jpg (271KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
ted-mosby.jpg
271KB, 1500x997px
T-The one?
I'd say mint
>>
>>55011828
I've tried it before, think it was version 14.something fancied something different. Can you get a decent browser with adblock on lincucks?
>>
File: th.jpg (6KB, 264x197px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
6KB, 264x197px
>>55011783
Kali
>>
>>55011783
BlackPantherOS for eye cancer.
>>
>>55011872
What makes you recommend that particular distro?
>>
>>55011895
holy shit anon that is ugly
>>
>>55011910
Because i happen to be a computer hacker.
>>
>>55011928
They fucked it up 'cause they didn't hire designers. It's pure vomit with a cherry on top of it.
>>
>>55011783
do you intend on using that as your full time machine? im not a w10 fan, but id say you stick with w10, you're not gonna be able to play games anyway you go, the vostro line is the same as their home inspiron line.

i recommend you go on ebay, spend $150 and get a T420.
>waaahahah i dont want to buy used electronics
trust me, I just got a T420 and a x220, they look almost new, the battery is a matter of luck, some are near new some are 80% like mine.
>>
>>55012164
If you want at least some root rights then stay away from Win10.

Other they senpai tried to update his tablet's firmware on Win 10 but it crashed during the process. It just closed itself without any error handling.
It seemed brick.

Now I had Win7 on a partition and we tried there. It worked. Just because it allows the user to do things.
>>
>>55012250
jesus christ that is just fucking sad, only reason im recommending w10 is simply because im being a asshole and judging OP for buying a vostro laptop because 10 mins of research would have showed him what he purchased, but I don't know OPs life, maybe that is what he could get and he may be happy with it, im a poorfag so i know how that is. sorry OP.

Seriously, you should perhaps keep windows7/10 for now, unless you got the time to learn linux if you have the time people suggest gentoo and arch are good distros to learn linux, if you just want to use your laptop as a tool to get stuff done instead of learning how to compile your programs and rice your desktop i sugest you go with a mainstream supported distro like Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse
>>
Gentoo :^)
>>
>>55011783
xubuntu or manjaro xfce m8.
comfy and not demanding in terms of hardware
>>
Probably an ubuntu flavour. I personally have a soft spot for Ubuntu GNOME, though the /g/ indication is most often Xubuntu.
>>
>>55012336
there's not much to learn and nothing needs to be compiled with most (userfriendly) distros. just-werks-distros are the most common and you're not even forced to learn the most basic terminal commands if you really can't stand the idea of typing some words. there really is simple gui for anything that could be called "get stuff done".
how many years have passed since you looked into linux?
>>
>>55012665
uhh... I been using linux primarily for the last two years or so, and I feel very ignorant about it in a way that I don't with Windows but that is because I have been using Windows since the 3.1

I have problems with the shell, learning the commands and such but I suppose that is a matter of practice. The main problem I have with linux is understand the concept of how does it actually work.

With DOS/Win based I know that a program is contained by a EXE/COM file and that the other files "around" it are needed as libraries to allow it to run or APIs that allow the programmer to use a standard "set" so I understand why DLL files are there or that INI/TXT/CFG and such can be modified and how. I know what the folders inside the Windows folder do and are for.

With Linux, I don't get shit. Is the command line without the GUI shell, called just a command line, linux or kernel? I understand the concept of a package as far as they're packages, but are they decompressed and scattered through out the folders in the file system? Why are we using folders the way we do in Linux if no one can really understand what they're for? the DEs in linux are great, but why are they so fucking slow and high on resource consumption? Are there EXE/COM equivalent ways of thinking about linux? I got the time to learn linux but i havent had the machine to do it with lately. I have a very hard time getting through the concepts of how linux actually works and behaves, I know I can learn other OSes because I had very little trouble with learning BeOS when it was a thing. I just need to get a machine for linux only and fuck with it for a while I think.
>>
>>55011783
>Acrobat faster pc
???
>>
>>55012804
Forgot the pic.
>>
>>55012804
i'm just a casual user and what i wrote referred to those. when it comes to commands, i really only know and use an estimated 10 of them regularly. config files can be edited just as easily as on windows

i've never looked into how the filesystem is organized because i don't feel the need to know, but i am sure there is loads of documentation about it. libs are used on linux systems too. do you need to fully get how packages work if a package manager takes care of it? and resource consumption is really dependent on the DE you use.
why not fuck around with virtualbox to learn stuff?
>>
>>55011783
Debian or openBSD
>>
>>55012821
>le reddit
kill yourself.
>>
>>55012821
This is pretty good.
>no adblock
>ubuntu
>reddit
>/funny youtube shit/
10/10, I almost believed it
>>
>>55012944
>everything clashing with /g/'s consense is a meme

>>55012821
why are you actually not using an adblocker though?
>>
>>55012913
It used to be that you'd install your OS and you'd get things done, now they just seem to splash more and more layers of unnecessary shit on top of what was there. Look at Win10, its been how long now? Two years? There are still two control panels there.

Linux has the advantage of "just working" something that didn't used to happen back when.

>do you need to fully get how packages work if a package manager takes care of it?

I don't really need to understand how it works, it makes me feel dumb and ignorant because I don't understand it though, I would like to know, what makes it such a complicated thing with Linux is that you have a bigger volume of tools that basically do the same job with not much distinction between them except that this one doesn't work with that one. Packages for Ubuntu/Debian don't work in Fedora and vice versa, sometimes it feels like the "linux community" is very happy with being in the treehouse and put up signs saying keep out and in the same breath will judge/ridicule you for not understanding how shit works.
>>
>>55012927
>le reddit
didnt you get the memo? forums are dead and moved to reddit, any and all communities are in subreddits.
>>55012944
usually use porteus, just booted into ubuntu this time, its a live distro thats why no adblock. as far as youtube, it was new years video from AP when the euro came out.
>>55012971
live distro, booted in ubuntu because didnt feel like installing libreoffice
>>
>>55012986
probably it's a generation-gap-thing (first OS i consciously used was windows 89) but i started to feel comfortable with the idea of just knowing how to use linux and make it work like i want it to. in the beginning i also had the idea that there is an insane amount of things i had to read into, but dropped it gradually when i got comfy with it non the less.

>linux treehouse community
true on /g/. most of those probably do not know more about their os than i do, but feel like they're part of an elite since they managed to install arch. i've always found loads of useful information and documentation elsewhere if i felt like i needed to know to know more
>>
>>55012986
and why do still use a live distro when you're primarily using linux since 2 years?
>>
>>55013089
>always found loads of useful information and documentation elsewhere if i felt like i needed to know to know more

and that is really the major advantage of mainstream distros like ubuntu or fedora, if you have a problem, someone else already had that problem before you.

Windows 98, the SE, worked great, it just worked for the longest time, that was around the same time I fooled around with BeOS and learning BeOS was just easy, you still had to use terminal but it was just easier than linux, I used RedHat for a little while when it was THE distro and it was easier to use then than most linux distros are today, except they didn't simply work back then without fucking with them for a while.
>>
File: screenie from porteus.png (149KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenie from porteus.png
149KB, 1366x768px
heres my regular porteus screenie
>>
>>55013169
i can't imagine how BeOS at that time could be easier to learn than linux is nowadays, while most distros are already set up to work for normies and everyday needs. you probably had more patience in learning an alternative for windows?
i've just reinstalled manjaro today, installed and configured what i will ever need, and haven't had to open the terminal yet.

>the major advantage of mainstream distros like ubuntu or fedora
in the end they're all pretty much the same in their "semi"-core and documentation/tips from threads can often be applied to all distros
>>
File: Windows_7_colored_logo.png (488KB, 900x860px) Image search: [Google]
Windows_7_colored_logo.png
488KB, 900x860px
>>55011783

>and I cant play games on it anyway

> Project64
> SNES9x
> pretty much anythig before 2007

What? Just install Windows 7
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.