[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing "Computer Science" in academia. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: prog-languages.png (135KB, 620x258px) Image search: [Google]
prog-languages.png
135KB, 620x258px
I'm doing "Computer Science" in academia. I'm literally just now taking programming logic. Next semester, I was given the choice of C or Java. I chose C. Will I be able to transition to Java fairly easily after learning C or are they that different? Won't it come down to just learning new syntax?

I'm asking because I'm worried when I hear that the job market is heavily Java-oriented. Is this for the most part true. Are there many code monkey jobs for people that master C and C++?
>>
File: 1459972817861.jpg (15KB, 613x533px) Image search: [Google]
1459972817861.jpg
15KB, 613x533px
>>
Dont worry senpai not only are there TONS of jobs using C/C++, but also if you understand C, Java will come easy.
>>
>>54937089
You'll have no problem learning Java.
>>
they have different methodologies but C is absolutely essential while java fucks your life
>>
File: 1465099716808.jpg (37KB, 645x495px) Image search: [Google]
1465099716808.jpg
37KB, 645x495px
>>54937089
Alright sonny, time for some damn knowledge drop from a industry vet....

to answer your question about just learning new syntax.... In academia, yes

it's literally
>declaring variables and print statements
>loops & shit
>functions & shit
>file I/O

advanced level includes data structures, which will have different implementations...but it is what it is

still doesn't translate to shit in industry, most new-grads we got in my company have to be retrained,

Job market is heavily object oriented right now, java is mostly because of android mobile boom and the legacy of the first tech bubble infrastructure from 2000.

That said, future is in function programming methodology. We've hit a frequency wall in processors (~4.5Ghz), no matter how small silicons got, they barely get over this speed. Threading is required for the future. Don't let lazy code monkeys who refuse to adapt and learn harder shit fool you. They can't stop us, they can't stop the future.

Start being more open to low level and functional methodology, the industry will lean towards that once this tech bubble pops.

That said, for internships and shit, learn object oriented programming.

C/C++ is good for game development or anything hardware related

Java is good for software apps and shit
>>
>>54937099
>>54937102
Thanks. That's good to know. It's obvious the more languages you know, the better and opens you up to more opportunities and your own side-projects.

>>54937137
I hear that about java a lot... that it's a messy language and it requires more lines of code than any other language to get the same output in many cases. I also hear people that get jobs strictly focusing on java complain a lot because it's time consuming and dull. Is that where you were going that it fucks over your life?
>>
>>54937167
Alright, thanks industry vet. Programming Logic seems to be gearing me to literally what you said academia teaches you... About what methods can I use to evolve beyond what academia and free tutorials teach me before I end up diving in the job market to avoid retraining?
>>
>>54937345
think of something you want to do, webapp, super awesome website, home automation, a video game...

then code that shit...rinse, repeat.

Learn a version control system as well: git is pretty popular

Also learn a coding methodology, basically a school of thought on how software should be made. Think of it like how different philosophy schools argue on what makes a man a man or some shit...no approach and explanation is better than the other, and it really just comes to flavor of the decade for society...

except we aren't free loading hippies, we are engineers and we actually do shit.

Test Driven Development is a methodology that's on a rise right now (it's a super early methodology back in the 80s, but was recently re-discovered and re-promoted)

good luck and god speed
>>
>>54937089

>I was given the choice of C or Java

Learn both, but maybe learn C first. This way you can understand a lot of things in Java better.

>Will I be able to transition to Java fairly easily after learning C or are they that different?

They are different and you don't really have that much carry over.

But they complement each other.

>Won't it come down to just learning new syntax?

Not really.

C is all about memory allocation, pointers, low level functions/macros.

Java is all about concepts like classes, inheritance, data encapsulation.

They do things differntly.

>When I hear that the job market is heavily Java-oriented

There are more Java Jobs than C jobs. On the other hand there are also more Java Devellopers..

Also, you should pick the language you like. You can only become a good programmer if you do what you like, not if you do what someone tells you.

>Are there many code monkey jobs for people that master C and C++?

If you are good in C and C++ or if you are good in Java and C you will find a Job.

The problem is more about the "getting good" as it is about Jobs. It's all up to you.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.