[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Find service/program, start using and loving it. >Kee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: meebo_00.jpg (125KB, 942x473px) Image search: [Google]
meebo_00.jpg
125KB, 942x473px
>Find service/program, start using and loving it.
>Keeps getting better and better, growing in popularity
>Suddenly goes silent for a while, announcing that some tech giant aquired the project shortly afterwards.
>It's the last thing you will ever hear from them

What have you been through? I'd like to hear your stories and will tell one of mine:

I am still bitter about Meebo.
http://www.meebo.com/

Google literally sniped it.

Everyone I knew was using it. I don't know if it was a regional thing, but it was a service that was ridiculously common and popular at the time; and its disappearance caused a huge fragmentation of services, resulting in a decline in general IM activity.

Happening right at the time when smartphones and tablets became ubiquitous, this was another huge factor in said fragmentation.
>>
>>54923378
Bump for interest.
>>
>>54923378
Use bitlbee. Problem solved
>>
>>54923378
I used meebo a lot. But during its last ~2 years they didn't fix shit with the messenger.

Now using Pidgin with XMPP alone, feels like I haven't lost much
>>
File: whatsapp-monthly-active-users-1.png (587KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
whatsapp-monthly-active-users-1.png
587KB, 1200x900px
>>54923378
(cont)

>Meebo was acquired by Google on June 4, 2012.
>Our team is now working just a few miles down the road with the Google+ team, where we continue to focus on creating delightful experiences for our users, developers, and publishers.
>Meebo's products are no longer available, but you can find all the latest and greatest things that we're working on at https://developers.google.com/+/.
>Thanks,
>The Meebo Team

There were a number of factors to the huge rise in WhatsApp's popularity, but that graph is just too entertaining when you look at the date of meebo's closing.

Multi-messengers on smartphones have been consistently shitty and faded away one after another in a futile attempt to become a WhatsApp competitor by implementing lock-in measures. That -of course- only resulted in a fight *between* competitors.
>>
>>54923378

like microsoft shitting on 3rd party skype clients
>>
>>54923378
Wakoopa.
>>
File: ec6bf0cb603f08e3.jpg (54KB, 612x459px) Image search: [Google]
ec6bf0cb603f08e3.jpg
54KB, 612x459px
BumpTop.

Would have been cool to see some development for tablets. I don't recall anything from Google apart from releasing the source, however.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.