[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, Currently have an i5 2500k and a GTX 770 that I use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 08G-P4-6181-KR_MD_1.jpg (16KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
08G-P4-6181-KR_MD_1.jpg
16KB, 250x250px
Hey /g/,

Currently have an i5 2500k and a GTX 770 that I use to game at 1440p 60 Hz.

When load monitor, I generally get ~80% CPU utilization and ~90-100% GPU utilization.

I'll likely be buying an 880 soon, but I'm worried about being CPU bottlenecked.

However, when I look at benchmarks comparing my 2500k to say, a 6600k or a 6700k, there doesn't seem to be big difference in CPU performance despite my processor being ancient.

So the question is, how likely am I to be bottlenecked by the 2500k considering even brand new CPUs only seem to benchmark ~30% faster?
>>
>>54883184

*likely buying a 1080 soon

Fuck.
>>
>>54883184
If you get the 1080, you probably won't have too many problems as far as what you are currently doing. But if you do stuff that is more intense, that would be a probable bottleneck.
>>
>>54883317

So basically I wouldn't be able to run any games I couldn't already run now, and I wouldn't be able to get higher framerates or run with higher graphics settings.
>>
>>54883184
You won't be bottlenecked. The 2500k is a fantastic cpu that you will be able to use for a long ass time. If anything, CPU requirements are bound to get lower as time goes on and you won't have to upgrade at all for gaming.

Overclock the CPU to get the best out of it and get yourself the best single gpu you can afford.
>>
>>54883582

Thanks for the input.

I OC'd some time ago but my CPU fan became unbearably loud for an imperceptible performance gain, so I brought it back to stock clocks.

Maybe I'll get a water cooler for it or something.
>>
>>54883607
you should be able to do 4.0GHz at stock volts, so noise shouldn't change much

are you using stock cooler?
>>
>>54883716

No, I have some sort of cooler master aftermarket cooler that was well rated at the time. Long since forgotten the model number though.

Maybe I just need to change my fan curves, but I was running at like 80% fanspeed all the time due to the increased temps.

I was also having a problem with the multipliers not dropping during low loads which kept it hot all the damn time.

I only experimented for a day or so, guess I need to try again at some point if you say it's possible.
>>
I'm hijacking your thread OP.

I'm using an Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.8GHz, and i have no idea how good it is.

Could i upgrade my gfx card without bottlenecking for another generation or should i also upgrade the cpu while i'm at it?
>>
>>54883779

I mean, that's a generation newer than my 2500k right, and people are telling me it's still good.

So you should definitely be good.
>>
>>54883791
The K is higher so i guess you're right.

I dont know shit about CPUs.
>>
It won't be a terrible. You'd definitely get better fps with a new i5 or i7
If anything you could upgrade to a 3770k if you have the extra money and don't want any bottleneck.
They currently go for ~$250 on ebay
>>
>>54883184
>bottlenecked
No. Youl will not being victim of that. CPU's and PCI-E channels today are very powerful.
Only muh gaymen kids are preocupied with "bottleneck" because their shitty unoptimized pieces of software.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.