[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /g/, how do I get as close to xfce without using xfce? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Xfce_logo.svg_-300x300.png (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Xfce_logo.svg_-300x300.png
51KB, 300x300px
hey /g/, how do I get as close to xfce without using xfce?

It randomly stops running at login or the plugins keep "leaving" the panel. I just want a simple, single panel with everything on it..
>>
LXDE
Mate
Gnome Classic
>>
File: scrot.png (198KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
198KB, 1280x800px
Here's my shitty desktop before everything broke

>>51597185
>Mate
Has it matured now and is it customisable like xfce?
>>
>>51597248
Works ok for me, you can choose how sidebars look and where applets and such are located. I use it with Ubuntu, everything justwerks.
>>
>>51597248

Not nearly as customizable, but it's way better than it was even last year. I actually just took mate off in favor of xfce.
>>
>>51597368
I'll give it a try, thanks
>>51597370
Why the switch?
>>
>>51597141
LXDE is probably the closest but Mate is much nicer

why not just try fixing xfce? It's one of the more customizable of the three. Look into openbox as well, with some work you can make openbox looks pretty much the same as xfce
>>
>>51597141
The more important thing here is that what is happening to you is not xfce's fault.
I never experienced that.
Try reinstaling /fixing packages etc.
What distro do you use and what version of xfce?
>>
>>51597141
Try Fluxbox or PekWM, and then build your own DE on top of it. You'll quickly realize that XFCE is bloated as fuck, and slow.

And actually you can speed it up by using Fluxbox for it's WM too.
>>
>>51597584
>why not just try fixing xfce?
I ended up rm'ing cached sessions, rm'ing some settings and reinstalling xfce packages. It's working, for now

>>51597849
I don't have the energy for separate wm/panel unfortunately.
>>
>>51598168

I can understand that, and it's why I mentioned using Fluxbox as XFCE's WM. It really will greatly improve it's performance.

XFCE was the first DE I stuck with when I moved to *Nix permanently. I tried most of the others, and while I found stuff to like about most of them, XFCE was what I always ended up returning to. I'm not trying to bash on it here, because if I were using a full DE it would still be my choice, no contest. But it's WM does cause some unnecessary slowdown, and other hiccups, so replacing it with a better one is a good idea.
>>
I really like XFCE but I can't get rid of REEEE FUCKING NORMIE title bars.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.