[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does any browser besides Safari kill this thing's battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Why does any browser besides Safari kill this thing's battery so fast? I was running Chrome on it daily until recently; it only lasted 6-7 hours at best and that went to 3 hours streaming video. Firefox gives me similar results. Safari easily lasts me 9+ hours, even when streaming video.

Anyone else have experience with this? Is there a browser that works well Macbook Pros that isn't a total piece of garbage (safari)?
>>
>>51551951
Because every browser in the exception of Safari is bad.
>>
only apple gives a shit about optimizing apps for OSX. everyone else just does a half assed port for the sake of saying it's cross-platform.
>>
>>51551976
>no favicons
>no webm support
>>
>>51551951
Safari can do exactly the same things as chrome, but actually more and better/effecient. How can you say Safari is bad?
>>
>>51551980

not true with chrome

but anyway it drains the bettery because chrome is an actual app meant for a computer and not a fork of an IOS smartphone app which forked from OSX

only apple would do something this stupid
safari is literally an IOS port now
>>
>>51551995
It has favicons, click on the address bar, check in history.
There are plugins for webm.
>>
>>51552019
It's easier to move between tabs by looking at a picture than reading the whole thing.
Can you link webm plugins?
>>
>>51552030
>favicons in tabs
http://include.aorcsik.com/2014/12/04/add-favicons-to-safari-8-tabs/

>webm
use perian
>>
>>51552077
neither of those work on El Capitan
>>
>>51552123
El capitan is probably 'too new'

Can view all tabs visually with pinching the view, or clicking a button.

Worst case scenario with webm is download it and open it with vlc.
>>
>>51551951
don't use flash in chrome

They've actually been trying to make it more efficient, though it's not there yet. It's better than a year ago, though.
>>
>>51551951
Opera is actually pretty snappy (I'm actually being serious, stop laughing).
>>
>>51552009
That aggressive Safari caching sucks huge donkey balls. Website changed? Not on Safari it didn't. Good old content for you. Refreshing? Not helping one bit.
>>
As of later versions, Chrome is said to be better, at least acceptable, though not as good as Safari. Safari is pretty light compared to a lot of other browsers, it just has some quirks like needing mpv or something to play webms. Firefox's UI was okay, but as of Yosemite, it looks fucking stupid.
>>
>>51552077
>>51552123
Perian is fucking dead.
>>
>>51551951
Same happens with Edge and IE on Windows laptops
>>
>>51552298
you shouldn't have to do that on an apple product though. i mean come on. (t. macfag running chrome)
>>
>>51553416
you know, i've never ever used safari and i've been using a mac for about 3 years.

it's actually pretty fast on a browser. probably dat dere cocoa api with metal enhancements on el cap
>>
>>51551951
Safari supports HLS which is used for mobile devices in streaming sites so it's really light. What streaming sites do you use? If you use Twitchyou can use mpv + youtube-dl or livestreamer to watch streams without flash.

I like Safari but I wish it supported more HTML5 standards, like WebM and clipboard support.
>>
>>51551951

Apple puts malicious code in somewhere that tells the machine to use unnecessary resources while using alternatives to their software.
>>
>>51553691
Twitch supports html5 now, so works perfectly on safari without flash.
>>
>>51553702
thinking apple does microsoft things
>>
>>51551980
This is plain out wrong. You may have only 10% market share, but those 10% are to a far bigger extend power-users and professionals that will buy software and services. The 90% that include practically any grandma and soccer mom that every bought a cheap HP laptop.

Chrome works way smoother and stable on OSX than on Windows. Google is also using OSX as its main platform for its employees, so this isn't a big surprise.

The same is true for SourceTree, easily the best Git frontend around, which first started out as an OSX software that got ported to Windows as an afterthought. Photoshop started out as an OSX software too.

On top of that you don't use ports of shitty Windows software, you use the good "exclusive" software written in the native system frameworks. Adium easily beats the shit out of any Pidgin for example. If I'm going to miss something about OSX its the tons of neatly written and well designed applications.
>>
>>51551995
>no favicons
I consider that a feature. I've disabled favicons for tabs in Firefox.
>>
>>51553365
>Firefox's UI was okay, but as of Yosemite, it looks fucking stupid
>not using Developer Edition Theme or Classic Theme Restorer or something
>>
>>51554322
exactly, they look gross and outdated anyways, the pinned tabs are using a new vector based 'favicon' and if that doesnt exist it uses the site's name's first character.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.