[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't anyone punished Apple for refusing to use standards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

File: KN40537_00_2000_2000_qy.jpg (109KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
KN40537_00_2000_2000_qy.jpg
109KB, 2000x2000px
Why hasn't anyone punished Apple for refusing to use standards such as MicroUSB but use the shitty lightning connector?
>>
Companies don't follow rules until their projected sales/profits are encroached upon.
>>
Because all apple users love the size and reversibility i guess. fucks me.
>>
Well the EU did punish apple.
Didn't really work though since instead of changing their format they just released adaptor cables.
>>
>>46873806
it's the other way around, faggot. microUSB is shit. it breaks, you must align it, non-reversibel etc etc.

did I mention it DOESN'T BREAK like microUSB shit???

Lightning > *
>>
>punished a company for being different
dohohohohohoho
>>
>>46873806
Why are they shitty anon? Do you use an iphone? If you do, why do they bother you? if you don't why are you such a fucking cunt? How does it even feel to be this fucking useless anon?
>>
samsung pls sue

they copied your chargers samsung
>>
>>46873841
Go back to 9gag
>>
>>46873841
Wut the fug, last year got 4 relatives asking me to fix the shitty lightning connector. Plus a non-relative asking me to fix his shitty magnetic laptop connector. :V Didn't study electronics for this shit.
>>
>>46874153
> :V Didn't study electronics for this shit.

delete this thread
>>
>>46873806
who gets to decide what the standards are?
>>
File: logo%20IEC_2007.jpg (48KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
logo%20IEC_2007.jpg
48KB, 276x276px
>>46874352
>>
>>46873841
There's a new micro USB connector that is reversible (type C). I've never had a micro USB cable break though, weak bait.

The rest of my family goes through lightning cables for their iThings like...well lightning.
>>
>>46873806
because lightning is superior in every way
>>
>>46873841
The lightning to USB wire that came with my iPad Air literally fell apart (on the lightning end) during the first week of use, just by me trying to pull it out of the iPad. I've been using a third party wire for the past year and a half now
>>
>>46874974

>wire
Its a cable.
>>
>>46873806
My lightning connector is broken and replaced at two years old. Older apple connector is not broken at +10 years old.
>>
File: _out.jpg (204KB, 580x1453px) Image search: [Google]
_out.jpg
204KB, 580x1453px
>>46873858
>they copied your chargers samsung
I hope you're joking because it's the other way around. Smashit copied Apple's chargers. They copy everything.
>>
>>46873806
Why should Apple be punished? MicroUSB wasn't good enough so they made something that was.
>>
>>46875115
Normally I would say;
>app drawer
>not showing the home screen

But no, fuck Samsung. Fuck them right in the eye.
>>
>>46874619
>I've never had a micro USB cable break though, weak bait.
Good for you. Micro USB connectors are fragile, unstable trash, and USB type C looks just as weak.

Fuck phone assholes for ruining consumer standard connectors.
>>
>>46875141
>Fuck phone assholes for ruining consumer standard connectors.
>Fuck micro USB, this consumer standard connector.
>This proprietary connector that Apple refuses to license to other manufacturers is much better.

Okay.
>>
>>46875141
lol, look at this hamhand

how large do the connectors need to be before you crush them? do you need to use tweezers in daily life because your fingertips aren't delicate enough to handle something else the rest of humanity has no trouble using?
>>
>>46875166
It's good that it's proprietary, it means that nobody is able to shoehorn it into hardware that doesn't need thin connectors. Note how Apple pushes thunderbolt on real computers. USB type C on the other hand is trying to displace standard USB for everything with a shitty shallow connector that wiggles around in its port and falls out if you breathe on it.
>>
>>46875141
What do people even do with their cables to fuck them up? Just, how?

I still use my first ever Micro USB cable, daily.
>>
>>46875221
Type C isn't even out yet you fucking retard, it was only just standardized in December.

>Lightning on the other hand is trying to displace standard USB for everything with a shitty shallow connector that wiggles around in its port and falls out if you breathe on it.
FTFY
>>
>>46875141
>Micro USB

>MUH STANDARD CONNECTOR

it might be a fucking standard but everywhere I look, I see people with iphones. hell, everyone at the place I work part-time has an iphone most of the people at my uni have iphones.

so I'd wager that this apple's connector is the "standard" since most of the people around me have it. if I ever needed a charge, I'm more likely to come across an iphone charger than some microUSB charger.

even the fucking coffee shop I frequent has 2 types of iphone connectors free for use where you can hook your phone up to for a quick charge.
>>
lightning isn't by apple, they just use it to make you buy new branded cables
>>
>>46875276

>its standard in my small sample space

ok kid.
>>
File: 1278750092203.jpg (69KB, 627x480px)
1278750092203.jpg
69KB, 627x480px
>>46875276
>coffee shop I frequent

Also. Maybe it's regional differences. But I see more people with Android phones these days in my country.
>>
>>46875276
>so I'd wager that this apple's connector is the "standard" since most of the people around me have it.
But microUSB is not exclusive to phones. Most cameras, external SD card readers, e-book readers use it. You are more likely to find someone that has a micro cable than the lighting
>>
>>46875318
Yeah it's regional differences. I see about the same number of Androids as I do iPhones.
>>
>>46875314
US here. And according to stats, iphone really is the most popular phone in the US. it's also most popular with wealthy/white people.

>>46875318
>in my country
not in the US. it's all iphones where I live.

>>46875331
I don't care. all i have is the phone. if I need a charge and don't have a charger, I can find one within 5 minutes. so caring about "MUH STANDARD" is silly when iphone is killing the fucking market right now.
>>
I don't understand what OP is saying, Lightning is faster. That may not outweight the convenience of a standard so standard such as USB, but it explains why they do it.

The thing I don't understand is why the iPhone comes with a lightning to USB cable?
>>
>>46875369
>iPhone comes with a lightning to USB cable

Not sure about America but I think there is a law against proprietary cables in Europe. I'm guessing that is their way to get around it.
>>
>>46873841
This is bait. MicroUSB connectors are a million times stronger than lightning cables. If this is not bait, I'm sure you never hold one single MicroUSB cable in your life.
>>
>>46875424
what do you mean? as in proprietary cables are illegal in eur?
>>
>>46875455

somewhat, yes.
>>
>>46875438
It's bait. He was throwing heat on cables that haven't been released yet - so how could he possibly have used them?
>>
>>46875477
My dad works for USB.
>>
>>46875455
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-24726077

Well. I was oversimplifying and miss remembering a bit.
>>
>>46875424
IIRC, they will be forced to use a standard by 2016 or 2018.
>>
>>46875438
You're literally retarded. MicroUSB is a shithouse standard and not only do the cables break all the time, the connectors themselves are invariably weak shit.

I don't care if the lightning connector explodes with the force of a 30 kiloton bomb every 4 uses, it's still not as bad as MicoUSB.
>>
>>46875488
I assume they are future proofing or something.

That or maybe they just want it to be less of a headache for users.
>>
>>46875136
>made something
Intel made lightning, dumbass.
>>
>>46875488
That's one of the most bullshit things ever
>>
>>46875501
>tfw can't relate to why they are bad

I feel kinda left out.
>>
>>46875515
That's Thunderbolt, dipshit.
>>
>>46873806
Because MicroUSB sucked? Look at them, they literally saw it themselves afterwards and made the C-standard with the lightning connector in mind.

>inb4 some made up anecdotes about "relatives" with broken Lightning cables
>>
>>46875501
Oh, really? No one else has it as bad as you do, and you clearly haven't touched a lightning cable before.
>>
>>46875519

Care to elaborate? I don't see any real downsides.
>>
MicroUSB never once failed me, the only time I had to replace a cable was when I ripped the wire through my own fault. But it didn't matter since they're cheap, come with everything and I have about 5 spares.
Reversibility doesn't matter because I'm not a retard and know how to plug in a cable.

Every cable that Apple makes is horribly overpriced because they hold a monopoly and overcharge for something that should cost next to nothing.
>>
>>46875560
>hey Apple, you need to use this shit port on YOUR devices because we don't like that we can't ask friends for chargers with confidence
>>
>>46875541
No, Lighning is a much better connector
>actually stays in the socket
>reversable
>>
>>46875515
wait, are they different?
either way, it's sus how apple 'dont own thunderbolt' but hardly any non apple stuff uses it. i know it's available on some motherboards and stuff, but why isn't it on windows laptops? so sus...
>>
>>46875585

It's going to reduce electronic waste and money on the consumer's side. Standardisation is good for the society. They will have to do some research to not pick a bad connector type.
>>
>>46875599

Because no logical person wants to give such low level access to a PC
>>
>>46875596
>actually stays in the socket
What the hell. What are you even doing with it?

I can, and frequently do, lift my phone using my micro USB cable and never once has it fallen. If it was harder it would just be annoying.
Do you smear your connectors with butter before using them or something?
>>
>>46875225
Answer this you fat niggers.
>>
>>46875611
Standardization also hampers progress.

>>46875629
I've got plently of microUSB devices that I need to choose between using and charging because the cord just slips out if I touch it. I've never seen the issue on anything Lightning.

>>46875636
It's not really the cable as much as the device side connector, at least in my experience.
>>
http://www.geek.com/apple/apple-will-be-forced-to-use-micro-usb-chargers-by-2017-1587862/
Eat shit Apple, and other shit companies that force proprietary standards onto consumers.
Next target: printer manufacturers.
>>
>>46875641
>i need to choose between using and charging because the cord just slips out if I touch it.

Then your cables or devices are defective.

I have never once in my entire life had that problem. I genuinely can't for the life of me even figure out how to disconnect my cable without pulling on it. I need less pressure to disconnect a regular USB cable than I do my the micro USB one.
>>
>>46875541
I have a single lightning connector and 2x MicroUSB within arms reach right now you fucking faggot.
I don't even like apple shit, but there's no denying its better than that microusb shit. Not really an accomplishment though, a kick in the balls would be an upgrade from microusb.
>>
>>46875660
>Next target: printer manufacturers
One can only hope. At least you're fucked a little less when using a monochrome laser printer - but color printers? Shit.
>>
>>46875668
Yes, the devices' microUSB ports are defective.
>>
I thought the EU forced Apple to use USB in 2016 or something.
Standardization of chargers or something, I think it's pretty neat but close to islam gommunism
>>
>>46875695
>pretty neat
Yeah bro, i love it when the government stifles innovation and puts entire businesses in the ground for little to no reason.

And we all know how smart the EU are.
>hurr lead-free solder
Now everything's unreliable shit and there's orders of magnitude more tech waste than ever before being even worse for the environment.
>>
>>46875221
God, how can people this retarded even breathe?
>>
>>46875711
calm your tits, Nigel.
I don't think it's the EU that allows GMO food and trade agreements that will censor the web and basically give all power to the wealthy.
>>
>>46875115
That charger is completely retarded, why does one want to copy the most retarded charger ever?
>>
>>46875366
>>when iphone is killing the fucking market right now.

You are a few years back anon. And your area being only idiots doesn't change the facts.
>>
File: 1307039758844.png (18KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1307039758844.png
18KB, 429x410px
>>46875711
>a business is no longer allowed to jew customers by using proprietary connectors
>stifles innovation
>>
>>46875486
Europe being based as hell for once.
>>
microusb is flimsy as shit

atleast apple connectors hardly break and I fucking despise apple
>>
honestly, the non directional aspect of lightning is pretty good. That said though, usb-micro is still more universal.

but seriously, who's gonna punish Apple, and how?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.