[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books that will make me happy ? Or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: The_Art_of_Happiness.jpg (23KB, 240x379px) Image search: [Google]
The_Art_of_Happiness.jpg
23KB, 240x379px
What are some books that will make me happy ?
Or at least help mediate better
>>
Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook -Ajahn Brahm

The Science of Enlightenment: How Meditation Works -Shinzen Young
>>
File: andy.jpg (133KB, 615x818px) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
133KB, 615x818px
Mingyur Rinpoche and Thich Nhat Hanh
both have great google talks and books
>>
File: maitreya.jpg (371KB, 1500x1071px) Image search: [Google]
maitreya.jpg
371KB, 1500x1071px
Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana

Free e-book: https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
>>
File: shiggy.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>29579
>Or at least help mediate better
practice , headspace has helped me .
heres a magnet link
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:46F20E647E59D51A82B781BAF4472578623D1F75&dn=Headspace%20v2%20%28Complete%20-%20December%202015%29&tr=http%3a%2f%2fmgtracker.org%3a6881%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fp4p.arenabg.ch%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.zer0day.to%3a1337%2fannounce
>>
>>29579
You have to breathe really, really slow and evenly. You should sit on the ground, spine straight. Put a pillow under your butt and sit cross legged. You don't need to per se but you should. Again: breathe really slowly and put ALL of your focus on your breath. That is all you have to do. For practice: count each breath in and out separately.
> In 1
> Out 2
> In 3
As slow as comfortable. Practice every day as early as possible. The best time to meditate is in the middle of the night/very early morning. This time is called Brahma muhurta.
>>
>>29869
Cont.
Don't read these Buddhist meme books. Buddhism is fine, just immerse yourself in actual scriptures If you want to learn a religion. If you want to read something read The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, that's all you need.

Again, listen to me: Breathe as slow as possible. Relax your jaw, relax everything but SIT UP STRAIGHT. I cannot stress this enough. Your spine is the most important part of your body. If you can't sit on the floor comfortably I can recommend some excersizes/books for you.
>>
>>29869
Does it ever get easier?
I heard Shinzen Young and others talk about doing fairly complicated visualizations during mediation but my focus wanders when I try to attempt these
>>
>>29954
how far along are you with your practice? for the first few months just focus on cultivating concentration, focus on your breath. Then once you feel you're proficient here focus attention and mindfulness one at a time to the various sensations or thoughts you experience. Mindfulness is key, don't go down a train of thought simply examine whatever you're experiencing dispassionately. Other stuff I presume comes later
t. someone who is procrastinating meditation right now
>>
>>29954
No. Don't fill your head with these ideas. Count your inhale/exhales and breathe as slow as possible. What I do is "look" at my breath with my eyes closed. I can't explain it any other way. Just focus all your attention on your breathing and do it slowly. Make sure you breathe from your diaphragm. I would suggest you read Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and the Bhagavad-Gita if you want answers.

Yes, it gets easier.
>>
>>29579

First, don't do anything Buddhists tell you. For how much those pretentious bald faggots bloviate about happiness, I've never seen one of them smile.
>>
>>30037
>>30094
I'll try to develop my focus and mindfulness more
>>
>>30313
focus and mindfulness are really the two pillars, whatever techniques you've heard are serving those objectives. You should read something like 'Mindfulness in plain english'
>>
How long are you supposed to meditate? I've heard varying answers, from 10 minutes to an hour. Also, what exactly are the benefits? From what I can gather, better concentration and emotional status?
>>
>>30359
just start at 20 and add more time as you get comfortable
>>
>>30359
If you're a beginner 20 minutes in the morning and at night is enough. It's a lot like cardio you do it more you can then go longer and you get better at it.

Mainly those plus a better ability to manage stress and focus when under pressure
>>
>>29579
The Tao de Ching

the Tao of Pooh is the comfiest book I ever read
>>
File: scott_shockerman.png (1MB, 747x765px) Image search: [Google]
scott_shockerman.png
1MB, 747x765px
>>29579
Headspace is great, grab this for sure.
|
V
>>29700
Aside from that I really enjoyed this guide by Sam Harris:

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/mindfulness-meditation-26
>>
File: smile.jpg (131KB, 350x466px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
131KB, 350x466px
>>30117
>>
>>29579
If you sit down and figure it out yourself it's infinitely more valuable than reading about meditating.

A good jumping off point is to notice whether or not you can stop thoughts
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.