[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop this fucking meme about "uhhh translations are bad!!!!"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1489349034638.jpg (23KB, 478x483px) Image search: [Google]
1489349034638.jpg
23KB, 478x483px
Stop this fucking meme about "uhhh translations are bad!!!!"

Someday, people will realize I have actually read Greek philosophy and the Bible. I seriously don't understand why people seem obsessed with me only reading translations. No one will have the time to read many things if they learn like all the languages if that's even possible. I am sure whoever asked me this never read Kierkegaard in Danish, Nietzsche in German, Tolstoy in Russian, or whoever people are talking about on /lit/. People who believe this are completely insane and have no understanding how literature works.

If this is what "enlightened people who read literature" is like, then I'd rather not be one of them. I am sick of people who think they "know" about literature and then harass booktubers for having "bad opinions" and "bad understanding" of literary history. Most of these people probably have never read literary criticism and understand how valuable other people outside academia and the internet are when it comes to creating a rich intertextual world. There is a reason I dislike people who read books because of these kinds of attitudes that are plain rude.

Anyway, people should read The Bible in the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek. 99.9% are awful people who haven't read The Bible in its truthful form according to this logic. I'm going to read "translations" and "things I like", something I consider more worthy of my time. The "smart" people can do whatever they wish, wasting their time on how I am so unfaithful to the Bible.

I'm not even Christian for god's sake... Indoctrinating me about how important the Bible is makes you sound like those annoying cultish Christians who knock on your door and ask you about what you think of God. Honestly, I think God must be laughing their ass off when they see this kind of shit. How is this even real?
>>
File: translations.png (3MB, 2000x2100px) Image search: [Google]
translations.png
3MB, 2000x2100px
This. Translations are pretty good as long as they're the right thing. Except for
>I'm not even Christian for god's sake.
Jesus loves you, anon
>>
>>29058
You shouldn't not read them, you just need to understand you're not getting the full appreciation
Try reading Dante even if you don't speak Italian, it is aesthetic as fuck
>>
You should never read English translations.

English is a horrible language without nuance or subtlety.
>>
Well you should know greek and latin from school so reading the classics shouldnt be difficult
>>
>>29058
>anon doesn't know most of the greek in the bible was already in the greeks
if you didn't read translations, you wouldn't have to read plato twice to get the same point, OP
>>
>>29058
>99.9% are awful people who haven't read The Bible in its truthful form according to this logic.
Uh, yeah? A lot of things will get lost in translation.

Just look at the dove. The dove is literally never mentioned in the Bible.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.