[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does listening to an audiobook count as reading a book? Uh....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Does listening to an audiobook count as reading a book? Uh.... do you listen to audiobooks at the gym?
>>
>>28888
i listen to audiobooks while in the bus on my way to college

i can't focus on what is being said when lifting

where do you download your audiobooks, lad?
>>
>>28942
>where do you download your audiobooks, lad?
Also interested.
Is there a thing like libgen but for audiobooks ?
>>
>>28888
I listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History while running, but I can't focus on a book while lifting without missing key information and getting confused.
>>
If I read audiobooks they tend to be trashy romance novels. I started listening to Outlanders, but the sexy time/rape parts made me really nervous that someone would overhear it through my headphones.

If I were to use the elliptical I may be able to pay attention to what's being said, but most the time what's piped into my headphones is pop or metal music.
>>
>>28942
this 2x, I'd like to listen to some books /lit/ recommended while working out.
>>
>>28888
CCCChecked.

But no, Baba Booey, it's not reading.
>>
>>28942
>>28976
>>29221
here's a bunch of good ones

http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks
>>
File: arya.png (266KB, 402x586px) Image search: [Google]
arya.png
266KB, 402x586px
I'd also really like to know if it counts, if you'd count audiobooks i'd probably "read" up to 50 books a year which is pretty sweet...I listen to them while taking walks, it's great and motivates you to walk very far distances (at least me) to come as far in the book as possible.
Best way for mental gains if you're active
>>
>>28888
Not sure if it counts as "reading" but I frequently listen to audiobooks to keep myself entertained at my job.
>>
Of course, why wouldn't it?
>>
The problem with audiobooks is you can't slow down, reread, and take a second to digest something. If you are reading something light then an audiobook isn't the worst thing, but don't use them for denser works.
>>
Well, it sort of counts as reading, but it depends entirely on how much you actually pay attention to it. Just passively listening to it with the hope that something will stick may not yield much gain(s) but if you actively focus while listening and paus to ponder upon a recent passage, give form by visualization, regularly stop and try remembering and regurgitating what you've heard etc. that's another thing
>>
>>28888
This year for Spring Break, I got held up by work a day later than everyone else so I drove down to Florida by myself, and I decided to try an audiobook for the first time and listened to Pride and Prejudice. I thought it was a fairly enjoyable experience, but I don't think I would do it with anything I planned on reading.
>>
>>30015
>passively listening to it with the hope that something will stick may not yield much gain(s)
There's the factor of how our subconscious processes stimuli. Even when you're listening without attention does it still have an effect on your mind, though greatly diminished compared to if you actively listen (as in not just trying to FOCUS on what you hear but to think, play and rewinding when needed).

Btw, any recommendable audiobook apps that let you
>slow the speech
>rewind 30 or so seconds with one push, and generally more options on rewinding
>bookmarks and maybe notes
>>
>>30039
how long was the trip?
>>
>>30790
10 hours each way
>>
>>28888
this thread again
>>
Listening to talking seems to slow me down, I prefer music when I'm working out.

>>29004
I listen to that at work, the WWI episodes were easy enough, but I can't listen to the King of Kings episodes since I'm not familiar with the material and if I get distracted/lose focus, I'm lost af.
>>
File: 00y.jpg (17KB, 416x308px) Image search: [Google]
00y.jpg
17KB, 416x308px
>"Hey man, watcha listening to?"
>"Uh, nothi-"
>"Haha, can't be that bad, right?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpMavWypU5o
>>
I don't understand how people lift without something to stimulate the mind desu
>>
>>33692
Lifting is stimulation enough
>>
>>28888
listening to Meditations while hitting heavy sets is like taking the redpill intravenously
>>
>>28942
>>28976
>>29221
There's an app called LibriVox, I have it on Android, no idea if it's on IOS.
Only downside with the app is that they do books by 8-15 min parts.
>>
>>30191
I have one, it's swedish though, many good books avaliable in english too though, I'm sure it has all except for maybe the slow down part
storytel.com
>>
>>29821
This.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.