[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /lit/ anons, how do I start to get into reading? A few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0758.jpg (144KB, 1300x1137px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0758.jpg
144KB, 1300x1137px
Alright /lit/ anons, how do I start to get into reading?

A few things.

1. I have a tough time visualizing anything when I try to read, I have a decent vocabulary so the comprehension isn't the problem just the retention and picturing the scene. Should I start with lower level books? Will this improve or is this not improvable?

2. I do not find myself liking non-fiction ever. I love film and animation for storytelling, but documentaries bore me.

Thanks for the help!
>>
File: IMG_0759.jpg (86KB, 874x684px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0759.jpg
86KB, 874x684px
>>
>>26795
honestly this makes me sad :(
>>
>>26795

What have you tried reading so far anon?
>>
File: genius iq.jpg (62KB, 537x375px) Image search: [Google]
genius iq.jpg
62KB, 537x375px
30 minutes reading
30 minutes cardio
30 minutes meditation
30 minutes lifting
EVERY DAY

and you will become a god. Like me
>>
>>27138
It's a strange feel to be sure, it's a problem that seems exclusive to reading though, I appreciate arthouse film and can get physically effected by art very easily.
>>
>>27248
Well as a kid i'd eat up Goosebumps like candy. In the past 5 years i've only read two books, Childhood's End and Steven King's IT, both I liked very much, but it was a real challenge and I had to reread very often to really remember and grasp what was happening in either.
>>
>>27314

It's hard to recommend something given you've read so little. Stephen King's not very complicated so if you've struggled with that you probably want to do more light reading before you try more difficult stuff.

There's no shame in this though, reading is the same as most other things. The more you read, the better you become at it. I read Genre fiction for years before starting to become more interested in other, better, stuff.

If you enjoyed Stephen King you could try reading more of his stuff. I personally prefer his short story collections to his novels, Nightmares and Dreamscapes is pretty good. You might also find it easier going as the plots are brief and self contained.
>>
>>27389
Short stories are a great idea, thank you.

I've tried to read several things but if I don't make it my primary focus for entertainment I forget it in two days.

Stopped halfway in the Forever War and Starship Troopers and many others.

Any good short story recommendations?
>>
>>26795
You've got this anon. Books ain't got shit on your muscle encased body.

Just read really. There's an infinite amount of topics in literature. And since it's been going on for a whole lot of time you are bound to find at least one read worthwhile for you.

Also if you know other languages then your selection is doubled, no, tripled!

Read into things that interest you. Even if you read for a whole 5 minutes. Also try to read quicker when confident, or just for bants to see how sharp your mind is.
>>
>>27466

I'm not the biggest reader of short stories personally, but I've enjoyed all of Stephen King's collections.

Given you seem to be into horror you might also enjoy HP Lovecraft, who was a big inspiration of Stephen King and published plenty of short horror stories. I've enjoyed a lot of his writing. If you try Lovecraft I'd start with Shadow Over Innsmouth to see if you like his style. You can find it on google pretty easily.
>>
>>27466
Lemme pull up something for you anon.
>>
>>26795
Do jokes and stuff tend to stick in your mind more?
>>
>>27466

Slaughterhouse 451 might be a good novel to try as well given you mentioned sci-fi. It's quite short too.
>>
>>27274
>10km run
>100 pushups and squats
>1 book a day

EVERY DAY
>>
>>27466
I recommend this one. Full of short stories of different types.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but at least one story might be interesting. I remember one about some barbarians and a captive monk seeking shelter from the storm in a cave.
>>
File: 4961465.jpg (48KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
4961465.jpg
48KB, 308x475px
>>27608
Image not posted like a dingus
>>
>>27539
I'm motivated to try, I liked to read as a kid, my favorite book was A Wrinkle in Time.

>>27540
Lovecraft does seem interesting, i'll look into it.

I do like horror but just about anything will do for me as long as it isn't just information dump like history or philosophy. I like adventure stories.

>>27557
An infographic would be great!

>>27558
Um, random facts or memories more so than jokes, most of my IRL humor is off the cuff not pre packaged.
>>
>>27637
>An infographic would be great
I lack such a thing. Sorry anon. :(
>>
>>27584
You mean Slaughterhouse 5? We had to read it for class but like all books in class I had to BS it because I couldn't remember after a week of not reading any more and just read for the test.

The non linear time stuff was cool though.

>>27608
>>27624
Will check it out, thank you.
>>
>>27648
Thats OK, I appreciate the help.

Is pure /lit/ usually this friendly or is it more like /a/?

I might visit you guys sometime.
>>
>>27679

Sorry I mean Fahrenheit 451, not Slaughterhouse 451. Don't know how I mixed those up in my head.
>>
>>27698
I can't say, as I don't frequent /lit/. I would assume that like the other boards, spending too much time in one enclosure will drive you to mean meme madness.
>>
>>27727
Very cool concept based on what I'm looking at, thanks anon.
>>
I kept getting halfway through a book, and just kinda giving up.

I don't know why. I went through several 300-400 page books under a month.
But when I try longer ones around 600-700 I start to drift away, and lose interest in the story.

I've just read some sci-fi and fantasy for now.
>>
>>27771
Maybe longer stories don't appeal to you. Sort of like how some people can only tolerate anime for around 13 or 25eps as opposed to the longer lasting ones like dbz and bleach.
>>
>>27771
OP here, similar issues but you seem to be better off than I am.

Good luck, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>27771
if u need 700 pages to get ur point across ur doing something wrong. mark rippetoe got his point across in ~300 and that's with pictures
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.