[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside, is SS with accessories a good way to gain strength

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (16KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
16KB, 196x257px
Memes aside, is SS with accessories a good way to gain strength and mass for the first 6 months of lifting? Finally graduating to a nice gym after doing bodyweight shit at home for the past months. Any opinions?
>>
File: dimeets.jpg (68KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
dimeets.jpg
68KB, 940x627px
>>42775847
yes
I can't stand these homos who haven't even started yet trying to autistically figure out 'what's the most optimal program'. Nigga go try it for yourself. Crossfire is retarded in a lot of ways but when they asked Klokov about it he said
>well you're lifting weights so you're doing something right
>>
>crossfire
kek nice spellcheck
>>
>>42775847
read what >>42775883 said

SS + accessories is not SS. GSLP is a little better (e.g. AMRAP sets make deloads more useful). you may also prefer high-bar squats to low-bar squats. but you're a novice, so anything will work. just get in the gym and stick to a programme until it stops working, then come back for more advice
>>
>>42775847
Read the book. Even if you decide not to do the program, you should read the book.
>>
i dont know why noobs think SS is bad, its just a simple linear progression program

i would only add one thing, 2 upperbody accessories for high reps and a couple of sets just for a pump, keep it balanced so preferably one push and one pull. Every session and change up the exercises everytime. The only issue with SS is that the upperbody volume is a bit on the low side so doing this would fix it
>>
>>42775883
but he's a crossfit nut
>>
File: bateman2.jpg (6KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
bateman2.jpg
6KB, 256x192px
>>42775847
Yes.

The book is worth buying. Give it a quick read before you start. There's a lot of filler in there that you can kind of glance over so it's not an almightly task.
Also watch the you tube videos that are out there. Alan Thrall explains the method quite a bit. Could start with his videos to get an idea of what to do.

His other book about programming is probably worth it but the info on that is pretty easily available so it's not essential.

Also accessories aren't needed for a beginner. You'll have enough to do with learning the lifts correctly.
>>
>>42776742
>His other book about programming is probably worth it
as someone who has read that book: it's really not. it dilates very little content into over 200 pp. it can be summarised without significant loss thus:
1. the body adapts in response to stress in such a way that it can better accommodate that stress in the future, except in those cases where the stress is too great for the body to properly or adequately respond (overtraining from accumulating too much fatigue, incurring injuries, etc.)
2. 'novices' are defined such that they can go through a full stress-recovery-adaptation cycle between workouts. novices can progress linearly (e.g. following SS)
3. 'intermediates' and above, by definition, need to manage their exposure to stress and fatigue over longer periods (e.g. following TM)
4. 'advanced' lifters need longer cycles and more complex programming (e.g. block periodisation)

it also describes the obvious correspondences between adaptations (strength, power, hypertrophy) and rep ranges, the need for taking in protein, etc.

it's a kind of trivial book, frankly. maybe it was less than totally obvious when it was first released, or maybe subsequent editions have trimmed the fat and added references, supporting evidence, etc.—but it's Rippetoe, who's a doctrinaire moron who loves the sound of his own voice, so i guess not
>>
>>42776834
The book is worth it for the 30+ templates of texas method alone the rest is just fluff, outside of nutrition vast majority of people don't need to know anything beyond PPST3 tier knowledge for lifting and making own program.
>>
>>42776874
right, i see that they added templates and concrete examples to the 3rd edition, which should be useful. (my older version didn't have them, so the reader was largely left with vague and unsupported generalities and no clear, general method of translating the obvious principles—exposing yourself to volume and intensity sufficient to drive an adaptive response, whilst at the same time managing your fatigue so that you are able to recover and supercompensate—into actual programmes.)
>>
>>42775902
SS + accessories is SS, moron. Rip includes an entire chapter on accessories. He even says you can do curls on day B if you feel absolutely compelled.

OP, ignore this man.
>>
>>42775847
>first 6 months of lifting

You should do SS for noob gains, you'll get them in one to two months. You really should change programs after that.

For me SS laster until I got to about novice level in my lifts. Probably different from person to person, but still I don't think you should do SS any longer than two months.

http://www.strengthstandards.co/#/
>>
>>42776874
>fluff
oh? like the puff of stinky pubic hair around your tiny button penis? get fucked, ar-tard.
>>
>>42776980
from the chapter (Chapter 8) describing the programme:

>For a rank novice, the simplest of workouts is in order. This short program can be followed for the first few workouts:
>A: Squat, Press, Deadlift
>B: Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift

>The two workouts alternate across the MWF schedule for the first couple of weeks, until the freshness of the deadlift has worn off a little and after the quick initial gains establish the deadlift well ahead of the squat. At this point the power clean is introduced:
>A: Squat, Press, Deadlift
>B: Squat, Bench Press, Power Clean

>[...] For most people, and for quite some time, this schedule will work well. After two or three more weeks, chin-ups can be added as the only really useful assistance exercise at this point in the program. You might decide to add three sets of chins after your power cleans, and stay with this program for as many months as possible. Or, back extensions or glute/ham raises can be added in place of pulling every workout, dropping the deadlift frequency to every fifth workout, alternated with power cleans. This might be necessary if recovery is becoming a problem, as it might be for an older trainee, a female trainee, or someone who just refuses to eat and sleep enough.

are there 'accessories'? sure, in that, after a month of training, chin-ups are suggested and trainees have the option to alternate between back extensions/GHRs and deadlifts/power cleans. (he also leaves the door open for other carefully selected auxiliary exercises provided that they assist with—and do not interfere with—the primary lifts.) but you'd have to be obtuse to think that "SS with accessories", as conceived of by a novice, is the same as SS. it's why Rippetoe is insistent that novices follow the programme-as-written, and it's why i wrote that "SS + accessories is not SS". chucking in random shit from Chapter 7 would change the programme and, with high probability, reduce its effectiveness
>>
>>42777374
He explicitly says you can add curls.

https://youtu.be/jkR6wK2_eEo

"SS + accessories isn't SS" is so reductive as to be blatantly false. Rip says that for the majority of people, vanilla SS is adequate. The program is designed to maximize strength gains in a short amount of time and so you need to also maximize your recovery. Adding in a bunch of accessories means risking your ability to recover fast enough to make linear strength gains, which would indeed defeat the purpose of the program.

However, that's not an absolute prohibition. It's a prohibition contingent on the lifter's ability to recover adequately between workouts, which will vary based on age, experience, genetics, and so on. Accessories can also help you address weak points in your strength, which is why they're called accessories; the exist to support the main lifts.

Nobody is advocating chucking in random shit, as you put it, but if you have the energy to add 3x10 curls, Rip says go for it and be smart about where you put them in your schedule. You're right that Rip says to follow the program so written, but the program as written makes provisions for the addition of accessories.
>>
>>42777890
"SS + accessories isn't SS" is prima facie false, but we don't disagree on any substantive points once the phrasing is unpacked. (i wrote that "he also leaves the door open for other carefully selected auxiliary exercises provided that they assist with—and do not interfere with—the primary lifts", so it's not as if i'm ignorant of what he says or why he says it.)

the main reason why i abbreviated it in that way is that, whilst carefully selected accessories used at an appropriate time in the programme are sensible (e.g., Rippetoe on curls: "if you decide you just have to do barbell curls, do them today, heavy, for 3 sets of 10. But I’d rather you wait at least a couple of months"), a novice who chooses their own accessories and integrates them into their programme whenever they want is likely to render the programme less effective, because they just don't know enough about training (or their bodies). they really are liable to chuck in random shit, as a lot of the "rate my routine" threads illustrate. hence the dissuasion

again, i don't think we disagree on any substantive points
>>
>>42775847
Tips on improving upper body SS program:

> bench press/press 4x10 @ 70% of working load after regular 3x5 sets
> adding weighted chin-ups 5x5 every training session
> lateral raises and curls 5x15 every training sessions as well
> doing cable rows as conditioning on non-training days except sunday
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.