[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello friends. I was looking at the Starting Strength book,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: o9r9b1oas9vx.jpg (83KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
o9r9b1oas9vx.jpg
83KB, 720x960px
Hello friends.

I was looking at the Starting Strength book, because I am going to be starting the program soon, and I noticed that the book talks about needing to eat a lot of food to be able to progress in line with the program.

This concerns me, because I am obese, and part of the reason why I want to start power lifting seriously is to help facilitate weight loss.

The book does talk about overweight people, but it was still a large caloric intake per day.

I'm looking to stay at around 2,000 calories per day, as well as trying to eat according to the ketogenic diet; would this be enough to facilitate weight loss without sacrificing muscle growth?

Pic related, its what I am trying to avoid.
>>
No. Don't bother doing serious lifting now.

Cut first. Get to a healthy body fat percentage. Eat big, get big gains later down the road.

I recommend eating around 1,700cal/day. Plus 30+ minutes of cardio every day.

Lifting while eating 2kcal/day is not enough to make sufficient muscle gains and is not enough to lose sufficient weight. It's a waste.
>>
>>42761920

I should add, while serious lifting in your current position isn't very efficient, I recommend picking up a 6 day a week PPL routine. If this fits your schedule, if not just do a 3 day. This will just help build you up a little bit since you want the calorie burning. But also, cardio every day. This is more important.

So basically - cut to a healthy weight, then switch to SS and eat at a surplus.
>>
>>42761920
Does the body not use excess fat stored on the body to help with muscle growth when the person isn't eating a ton of food?
>>
>>42761990

The body burning fat stores does not mean muscle generation. It burns calories to sustain itself, not to build muscle. If you're eating below your TDEE it is very hard to make significant gains.

There's no quick way to burn fat and gain muscle. It's a process.

Being obese, you should focus on dropping weight first.
>>
>>42761920
>30 min of cardio a day
BAIT OF THE CENTURY
>>
>>42762034
Why can't I focus on dropping weight while doing Starting Strength (or just power lifting in general)?
>>
>>42762047
>Recommending an obese person to do 30 minutes of cardio a day
>Bait
???

>>42762055
You can. But just know if you want to lose weight at a decent rate, you should eat a deficit, around 1700cal/day. And at that deficit, it will be very, very hard to make even noob gains. So if you're okay with plateauing for a while, then go for it. Just don't expect to see gains until you eat much more.
>>
>>42761902
Powerlifting doesn't help you lose weight. Eat less and do cardio if you want to lose weight.

Starting strength needs you to add more weight every workout and you need to eat a fucking lot to facilitate muscle growth that'll allow you to keep adding more and more weight.

You may be able to still do SS by following the exercise plan but still eating at a deficit but eating enough protein and some carbs to facilitate muscle growth and feel energetic, but overall you'll still need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. Also, Rippetoe is adamant that if you don't do his program exactly as laid out in the book (including eating a lot) you aren't doing SS.
>>
>>42762086
>recommending 30 min of cardio to ANYONE
>not bait
okay
>>
>>42762205

What the fuck are you even talking about?

>The American College of Sports Medicine recommends cardiovascular exercise three to five days per week, for 20 to 30 minutes each time, to improve health. For weight loss, they advise increasing the duration to 50 to 60 minutes per session, which coincides with the Registry findings. Your intensity should be moderate to difficult, but progress gradually if you are new to exercise.

Back to /fat/ you go you pathetic fuck
>>
>>42762086
In my opinion, it's better to plateau while he's losing weight than to not do serious lifting at all. At the very least, he will get more experienced lifting weight during the time that he is losing weight.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.