[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can keto ever work for lifting people if you burn through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1499378822657.jpg (141KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499378822657.jpg
141KB, 1200x900px
how can keto ever work for lifting people if you burn through glycogen all the time?

>innb4 100 mile runners
I don't care
>>
>>42728545
You're always burning a combination of bodyfat and carbohydrates, but in different ratios depending on the intensity of effort; at rest, you're using almost exclusively bodyfat for energy. At an 'all-day pace' you're using mostly bodyfat for fuel, and a little bit of carbohydrate. At Tempo or Threshold, you're using much more carbohydrate. Anaerobic, you're using nothing but carbohydrate. So essentially you can't be an endurance athlete and be on a keto diet, it just doesn't work, because you're restricted to a very slow pace/very low level of intensity, because all you've got for fuel is bodyfat, which is slow compared to carbohydrates.
>>
>>42728545
That's why people who lift have to add a "loading" day once a week with big amount of carbs to refill the glycogen storage of the muscles. But generally speaking keto is not good for gaining muscle mass (bulking). It's good for cutting and for other health benefits.
>>
>>42728738
I race bikes and during pre-Base and Base periods of my training I'll limit (or even eliminate entirely) carbs from my bike bottles to accelerate losing any excess bodyfat I want to try to get rid of before more intense training phases make it impossible to not take carbs with me.
>>
>>42728545
Just FYI anyone who uses any kind of ultra endurance activity as justification for keto is incorrect and can be ignored entirely, nobody has ever done anything of note in ultra running on low carb
as far as I know not a single course record, fkt, or competitive ultra event has ever been won by someone in ketosis :^)
>>
>>42728819
well it's a major talking point but yeah glycogen is glycogen, it's superior fuel that's literally in your muscles
>>
File: 3489347223.png (102KB, 241x401px) Image search: [Google]
3489347223.png
102KB, 241x401px
>>42728545

Glycogen is easily made and easily utilized. It is converted from Glucose and is mainly an energy source for your brain (75% of your glycogen utilization is for the brain alone).

Your muscles store a small amount of glycogen however muscle glycogen is not generally available to other tissues, because muscle lacks the enzyme glucose-6-phosphatase. After this glycogen is burned off through intense exercise and little to no glucose is introduced into the bloodstream for the production of glycogen, your fat cells will release a combination of glucose and fatty acids into the bloodstream to be utilized as an energy source thus eliminating body fat.

As glycogen/glucose is the ideal energy source for the brain, your brain will continue to utilize this as fuel (which is why many people experience brain fog on low carb diets) while your muscle activity would be utilizing fatty acids as their fuel.
>>
Impossible to be a real endurance athlete on keto .
>>
File: Screenshot_205.jpg (23KB, 535x94px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_205.jpg
23KB, 535x94px
>>42728738
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.