[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/, newfag here. What should I look for in a gym? I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: gym.jpg (425KB, 1428x760px) Image search: [Google]
gym.jpg
425KB, 1428x760px
Hey /fit/, newfag here.

What should I look for in a gym?
I just did a tour of one near my house, and here's what I took from it:
>Lock in contracts err'where, minimum 12mo
>Jam-packed with machines which I have no idea what to do with
>The few things that I recognise (weights) are in a tiny little area in the corner
>Everything is warm, humid and a bit dark

Is that normal? How are you supposed to get into this stuff when you have no idea what to even do?
>>
>>42695455
Free weights up to 75lbs at least. Bench press and place to squat. Find the cheapest that'll get you those.
>>
>Lock in contracts err'where, minimum 12mo
Do NOT sign up for this gym. Find another one.

>Jam-packed with machines which I have no idea what to do with
Cable racks, leg press machines, cable row machines, and cable pull-down machines are pretty much all you need. A machine for assisted dips/pullups/chinups when you're new can be good, too. Most of the other things won't really benefit you.

>The few things that I recognize (weights) are in a tiny little area in the corner
Bad. Find a gym with a big free weights section (both dumbbells and barbells), at least one deadlift platform, a couple of squat cages. You should also find a good place for you to do different body-weight exercises.

>Everything is warm, humid and a bit dark
Yeah, no.

>How are you supposed to get into this stuff when you have no idea what to even do?
Start a good routine. Learn proper form for all of the exercises in it. You won't need to know more than that.
>>
>>42695585
>Do NOT sign up for this gym. Find another one
To be fair, that contract is still pretty cheap. They want $494 ausbucks for 12 months.
>>
>>42696129
k
you're welcome
>>
>>42695455
Contacts are normal.

I look for adequate free weights for the exercises I know I'll want to do.
>dumbbells up to 100 lbs minimum, preferably up to 150
>multiple barbell stations, including power racks and half racks

If there's a barbell loader for deadlifting, that's a plus.

The gym should be well lit and cool, not dim and humid.
>>
>>42695455
That's my gym dude.
It's not bad but gets really busy at peak times. not a lot of space/
>>
>>42696591
Oh, cool. What are the chances, eh?

How does it compare to the one at the uni? I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow.
>>
>>42696607
Unless you're talking about a gym on campus I don't know about it's the same company.
A membership gets you in to there, the uni and the one on the other side of town.
never been to the uni one, it's the smallest of the three though.
>>
>>42696633
Oh, okay. I thought that the uni one was the biggest, based on what it looks like from the outside. But yeah, I did know they're the same company - I just thought I'd check them both out.
>>
>>42696661
Might have upgraded, haven't been there, second hand info.

It might not strictly be the best gym nearby but it's the best price you'll get around here, given the choices it's not a bad choice.
You can do all the compounds, dumbells go to 60kg and there are plenty of machines.
Only issues would be how crowded it gets at peak and if you wanted to get into oly lifting it's not really the place for it.
>>
>>42696701
The price is honestly one of the main reasons I'm looking at it.

At the moment I'm paying $32/week for jiu-jitsu classes that I can barely get to twice a week, and $9.50/week for a gym seems like a way better choice assuming I still enjoy it.

I think I'll try it out. If it does get too busy I'll just go later at night or get up early.
>>
>>42696774
Yeah that's how I got around the problem, been going for years now and intend to stick around
>>
>>42696129
you should be looking at this as a lifetime decision not just a "locked in for 12 mo".. you sound like you wont even get in through the door of not making it.
>>
>>42696911
I've never done it. If it's something which I knew I enjoyed then I wouldn't have an issue with it, but while I'm still trying it out I'd prefer to have the shortest contract period possible.
>>
>>42695531
>>>42695455 (OP)
>Free weights up to 75lbs at least. Bench press and place to squat. Find the cheapest that'll get you those.
This & pullup bars
>>
>>42695455
A gym can be easily judged by it barbells. If they're smooth and/or bent and there's no identifying brand on the end cap, find a new gym.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.