[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would taking up Boxing/MMA training be a good idea for me? >above

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

Would taking up Boxing/MMA training be a good idea for me?

>above average cardio
>average strength
>no knowledge of either

Seems like it could be fun, although I dont want to make myself look like a complete idiot.
>>
Boxing is a fucking joke in 2017. Learn mma
>>
>>42692280
Connor pls go
>>
>>42692181

do it you fucking pussy
>>
Go for boxing if you want working knees by the age of 30
>>
>>42692308
>tfw I almost am 30

A....am....am I too old to start learning?
>>
Careful with boxing. The risk of brain injury is real. Less so with grappling sports but injuries still happen.
>>
>>42692308
>train boxing
>exploding brain
>>42692325
>train grappling
>exploding knees
>>
>>42692181
be ready for injuries, like the other anons have said.
both are good but if you're looking for practicality, go with MMA. All around good skill set for life in general and makes basic things easier, like functional movement during your day and what not.
And theres no avoiding looking like an idiot. Everyone is an amatuer when they start, coaches and other teammates/training partners know that. No shame in trying, failing and trying again.
>>
MMA is better. Don't be blinded by that spectacle last week, Conor would have murdered him outside the ring.
>>
File: 1470253116489.jpg (3KB, 113x125px) Image search: [Google]
1470253116489.jpg
3KB, 113x125px
>>42692416
>got tko'd by a 41 year old man
>w-would have beat him on the street
>>
>>42692434
A 41 year old Conor could do anything he wanted to a 29 year old Mayweather on the streets.
>>
>>42692434
>41 year old man had better cardio

This is the part thats inexcusable. Sure Floyd had TONS more experience inside a ring, with boxing and all. But cardio is universal, how the fuck do you let an old man beat you?
>>
Brain injury is more of a issue if you plan to compete, even more of a issue if you fall on a heavy weight category

You are more likely to get injured by assholes who go there just to hurt others if you have a shitty/absent teacher
>>
>>42692181
Hehhe yeah cone to mo gym kiddo maybe I want hurt you to bad ahahuer
>>
>>42692476
That weigh in cut completely fucked him desu, going from 168-150 something on weigh in day back to 168 for the fight fucks with your body
>>
>>42692476
>But cardio is universal
i dont agree with you
>>
>>42692497
Whats not to agree with?

>>42692481
Surely the people just sparring arent there just to hurt others?
>>
>>42692181
Boxing if you want to learn an art/sport that has good carido, MMA for something practical/ easy to pick up.

Both we'll teach you fundamentals of fighting.
>>
>>42692476

Boxing cardio is very specific and take years to build up. Nobody debuts in a 12 rounder, and most go through 4, 6, 8, and 10 rounders first.

Floyd TKO was the bet of the decade, made an absolute killing.
>>
>>42692541
>Floyd TKO was the bet of the decade, made an absolute killing.

Explain
>>
>>42692322
It is never too late to start learning, but it is best to start learning anything while you are young. Just go into it with no regrets.
>>
>>42692509
you would be wrong. think about the kind of person an mma gym attracts. you dont win by not hurting people.

you obviously are not naturally violent so good luck getting your ass handed to you by chimps with sadistic reflexes
>>
>>42692555

Odds were listed at 1.70-1.80 when they really should have been like 1.10, they were out of whack because of all the brainlet Conor fans throwing their money away.

Any serious boxing fan knew that Floyd couldn't carry Conor 12 rounds even if he wanted to.
>>
>>42692509
sparring builds confidence and technique, its experience
you need an asshole with lack of restraint and common sense to go there solely to hurt somebody, its worse when its an teacher "favorite"
more import than what martial art you choose is how reputable the place is
>>
>>42692181
do whatever you want, man. You are a grown adult.
>>
>>42692681
>its worse when its an teacher "favorite"
I hope that English isn't your first language.
>>
>>42692181
Amateur boxer posting, my vote is obviously boxing, mma in my opinion is very practical for real life applications although boxing is just as good hands wise definitely better, nobody is gonna be a mma pro fag on the street fighting you so any amount of training will help you greatly. Theres also less risk of injury in boxing purely by where you're hitting and what you're hitting with.If you're looking to go pro and grab belts then prepare for a long life of ahead of you. However if you're goal is to just do some amateur work its fairly easy. Most gyms will give you at least 6 months to a year of training depending on your aptitude before they help set you up for amateur bouts. Its great cardio and provides great skills for defending yourself as well as some social bragging rights. There are a lot of good styles out there and great information online however the best way to see how to actually box is to watch boxing matches by great people. Muhammad Ali, Lomachenko, Mike Tyson, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Mayweather Jr, etc etc, actual training is what will refine what you learn and actually get your senses tuned for boxing though. Look up good gyms nearby or even a gym that offers open sparing if you want to give it a try, though be careful as there are gyms that will just put you through rounds untrained completely against good people with no control who don't care if they're gonna knock you out and hopefully you will just pick up shit along the way as you pick up your shit out the door. I'd avoid these gyms but sometimes they're usually the best gyms in the area. Find a coach who's willing to work with you during free time or even privately though the later will cost money. Having a school that has a good atmosphere overall is also key, ie everyone is friendly everone wants to just learn from each other.
>>
>>42693232
To clarify on my post as word limit hit me I don't mean mma is overall safer in any way. However breaking your toes from shitty kicking form or getting an elbow to the face won't apply with Boxing naturally. Walking around with sore ass shins and feet sucks way more than soar forearms from blocking punches in boxing. In general if you take a bad hit to the head you'll have the same symptoms from either sport. For me I personally started with Taekwondo and then transitioned to Boxing. I go to a Kickboxing gym for their open sparings but I have a gym membership at a Boxing place where I fight Amateur. I think its just smarter to try out a individualized style first to see if you have any love or aptitude for combat sports in general before you try to do MMA all at once and get overwhelmed. Most MMA fighters have backgrounds initially in individualized styles either way. I have a lot of respect for mma however, I love the idea of pairing all sorts of styles and training to see which comes out on top it really diversifies the technical aspect greatly compared to just individualized style fighting. My only complaint is that most mma matches end with ground and pound which to me is rather boring. There are usually two types of fighters those who view fighting as a mind game of chess and technique and those who are purely about the fight. Usually those who combined the two tend to be the best fighters imo. Though there are monsters everywhere in the fighting world. Hope some of this answered you in any way.
>>
>>42692295
Stay mad delahoya.
>>
File: 1351074507269.gif (2MB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
1351074507269.gif
2MB, 352x240px
>>42693232
>>42693330
>>
File: Golovkin.jpg (985KB, 4256x2832px) Image search: [Google]
Golovkin.jpg
985KB, 4256x2832px
An MMA fighter has less chance of beating a boxer in a boxing ring than a boxer has of beating an MMA fighter in an MMA match.

FACT
>>
>>42692181
it would be a good idea to know how to punch people and for self defense, but for looks probably not the most optimal thing out there. it's all core training and cardio, most boxers do not weight lift, you train for speed and endurance because 1 punch kos don't usual come with those big gloves on unless you're a freak of nature.
>>
>>42693502
>>42693502
:(
>>
>>42693521
GGG would have murdered McGregor in at most 4 rounds
>>
>>42692476
Dude, google Marat Balaev, the guy is rocking russian professional MMA with 8-0-0 record, he is a champion of USSR in freestyle wrestling and his cardio and functional strength is way better than of those 22-23 year old guys that he beat the shit out of. He also spent 10 years in jail before coming to MMA. So age is not a real argument my friend.
>>
>>42692383
We are doomed to explode
>>
File: oscar-de-la-hoya-cross-dressing.jpg (113KB, 468x571px) Image search: [Google]
oscar-de-la-hoya-cross-dressing.jpg
113KB, 468x571px
>>42693521
Boxing is a sissy sport
FACT
>>
>>42696175
>Tfw a tranny who weighs 100lbs less than me could kick my ass.
>>
>>42692322
>tfw joined a MMA club at 37
>tfw it was 4 years ago and still going
>>
>>42692476

> Better cardio

Because Connor was the less skilled fighter his strategy was to be on offense most of the time. He was throwing way more punches.

Being the better boxer let Floyd do less work. How do people not get that?
>>
Never done straight boxing but a cool thing about MMA is that you can often do multiple classes for the same price as long as it's not over a weekly limit.

The one near my house does boxing, MT, BJJ, wrestling (through a visiting club though) and some mixed classes.

Basically an old boxing place was going under and now works out of the same space but if you pay for x classes per week you can do boxing.
>>
File: 1493338888532.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493338888532.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>42692280
>retards actually believe this
>>
>>42693521
A fact should be proven. So, prove your fact.
>>
>>42692476
Boxing uses a lot of small muscles in the calf and in the shoulders. Unlike MMA you can't grapple to let the small muscles recover. Also McGregor doesn't train cardio lol.
>>
>>42692280
Spotted the ass hurt connor fan
>>
>>42692509
Once during Muay Thai our coach went to the wrestling room to assist the other guy or some shit.

I watched this spar session turn to 100% fighting in a few seconds. Idk what happened between the two but one guy just went off throwing high kicks at this guys head and going in for 100% clinches knees to the back.

Coach came back and saw that, he got in the dudes face pushed him around started throwing teeps at the guy I remember it perfectly "you think your so tough mother fucker let's see it then, come on you fucking idiot let's see it"

Was a mad house that day entire class was gawking in awe. Coach didn't fuck him up but everyone knew what he could do, iv seen that guy launch 130 pound bags with little effort. Our gym send some a lot of fighters to competitive scenes, it's pretty cool we got a bunch of banners hanging up with our pro fighters.

Anyway that guy got his membership revoked. Don't spare with a hulk or someone who looks like their not in a good mood, all the advice I got.
>>
>>42692509
Not really. Just don't spar with angry people or people who are too big. I'm a tiny female and I do sometimes spar with men, but I refused when they asked me to go against a 7 feet tall mofo.
>>
>>42692181
Boxing, yes.

MMA is a meme for people who say muh fighting in the streets.

Only niggers fight in the streets and if you fight a white guy in the streets you’ll probably get shot.
>>
File: IMG_0331.jpg (167KB, 640x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0331.jpg
167KB, 640x499px
>>42699102
"MMA"

Kek you don't go "learn mma", you learn boxing judo or muaythai then combine your strike art with a grapple like bjj, now your an mma fighter, how is that a meme? Boxing is a cool SPORT, and it always will be, there's a lot of skill involved in boxing and you need max conditioning to be considered decent however it's just a sport. If you plan to compete in armature fights and don't want to be bloodied up badly boxing is for you.
HOWEVER, learning how to grapple and 8 point contact striking is more applicable to real life, not just in terms of a real live fight but manual labor and normal day to day activities. You gain a great skill set that can be applied anywhere from flexibility to even the bed room.

I personally will never compete in Muay Thai or mma ever, period. I do train a strike and a grapple though, it's great way to bond with friends and it's you feel like a bad ass.
>>
>>42699301
What white person who isn't a white trash piece of shit does manual labour? Go go go /pol/ if you wanna discuss with brown people.
>>
i'm guessing it's plausible to train like a boxer and hone your discipline without actually setting foot in the ring. i don't even know if i would get into proper boxing fights because i don't want the brain related problems in later life.
>>
File: IMG_0009.png (898KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.png
898KB, 750x1334px
>>42699985
I think this nigger is false flagging. Gtfo you filthy kike.
>>
boxing has increased my stamina. it's good cardio. get a reflex and heavy bag
>>
>>42699301
After you pass 22 and leave the meme years of School, assuming you’re in college, you’ll realize people don’t “fight in the street” unless they’re nogs and nogs get shot up constantly.

You’re better off going to a shooting range than practicing MMA for self defense.
>>
>>42700587
>>42700587
Yeah man I'm better off drawing my pistole and shooting Tyrone so I can end up on every single media network and my last name phone number and address get leaked and people come to trash my house cause he dindu nuffin
>>
>>42700587
>you’ll realize people don’t “fight in the street” unless they’re nogs and nogs get shot up constantly.
Americans are so funny.

Street fights are a daily occurence here in Germany. Very rarely one on one, even more rarely without weapons.
>>
>>42700710
Yeah its better to get jumped by a group of niggers after beating him up.
Dumb faggot.
>>
>>42700790
>worked in the most ghetto places in the Bronx for a year
>never saw a street fight

How bad is Germany?
>>
>>42692322
I'm 29 and I just started this year. Don't be a pussy and just go for it.
>>
>>42692322
Yes, you’re too old.

You’ll probably get injured and be in chronic pain for life.
>>
>>42693521
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIYYd-v8jI
lmao m8
>>
>>42700790
It being normal to you doesn't mean it is normal to others Muhammed
>>
>>42692308
and be brain dead at 40.
Just use kneepads and tap early.
>>
File: 1443339396709.gif (2MB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1443339396709.gif
2MB, 500x320px
>>42693232
>>42693330
Thanks for the feedback
>>
>>42700920
No, not old at all. 30 isn't the death sentence it was thirty years ago. This mentality needs to die already.

The best advice I'll offer is don't try to train like the 19 year olds, as you'll recall you could get away with a lot more shit at that age as far as taking care of yourself goes.

Rest, nutrition, and stretching will be the things that keep you going for at least the next ten years.
>>
>>42692181

anybody know a good boxing gym in STL? been looking but they all seem like memes for yuppies who just want to burn calories. i want to FIGHT

>also almost 30 :(
>>
Shit posting about MMA and boxing aside, would doing a boxing or kickboxing routine interfere with gains from weight training? It's a shit load of cardio work afterall.
>>
>>42699985
Tens of millions of them. Who want to hang your ass.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.