[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/run/ general - Get on my Level edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 45

File: get on my level.jpg (354KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
get on my level.jpg
354KB, 1000x666px
/run/ general - Get on my Level edition

Old Thread is dead.

>Training Plans
https://www.halhigdon.com/training/
https://www.c25k.com/
http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
https://www.strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
https://www.strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
http://www.helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
https://runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
http://archive.is/VGoxG

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
>>
>How far have you run this week?
4 miles yesterday. sucked
>What are you working on?
10 mile today
>How was your last run?
satans hairy ass crack. Hot, sweaty and something i would rather not encounter again
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
in the market for new shoes

>wide feet
>flat feet
>muh pronation
>>
>>42667299
Where do i find a field full of qt runners
>>
File: 1481752711203.jpg (48KB, 720x718px) Image search: [Google]
1481752711203.jpg
48KB, 720x718px
>>42667299
First run was today and I only ran 3 miles. Decided to /fat/ out to some McDonald's an hour before my run and knocked off 2 full miles.
APFT
>How was your last run?
Not counting today great, been making good progress
Bought a new smart scale, was like half off on amazon.
>>
6 mile recovery run today at a 10min/mi pace. Tomorrow is intervals day.
>>
>>42668165
fuck my intervals. Did some yesterday and fucked myself right up. Good speeds but not used to it. Pulled 7 miles today so far (not 10 as above). Feeling it.
>>
File: 3786089-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg (56KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
3786089-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
56KB, 480x360px
>knee pain
>both knees
>foot pain
New gear Mizuno Wave Rider 20s
>pic related
>>
>>42667299

Just did a 5k, pr'd at 22:40

Would like to do an 18 minute 5k by the end of the year and a 45 minute 10k

>How was your last run?

Just got back.

Nope, had the same Asics since 2015.

On that note I love how cheap it is to run. I like cycling better but the amount of gear you have to buy and then maintain is such a pain in the ass.
>>
>>42667299

It's Monday, so 3 miles.

Recovering from nerve pain and weak legs. Trying to get back into shape. 6 weeks back at it. Would be absolutely ecstatic if I came anywhere close to my PR in 5K or had my easy runs back at 6:40 pace.

>How was your last run?

Good. Dropped 7:35 last mile. Not very fast considering it was slightly downhill and a tough effort, but it's the fastest I've done on my runs so far.

Had a Garmin Forerunner 110 from 6 years ago. Used it for a month getting back into shape, then woke up one day to find the plastic disintegrated. Upgraded to the newer model of the Forerunner 35.
>>
>>42667299

not far... but it's just monday.

trying to get faster, going to do half mile sprints, rest, then sprint again. see if that helps...

>How was your last run?
super slow, wasn't feelin' it today. had a heavy lunch weather was too hot. complain complain excuse excuse...

garmin 735 has been fun, got a 235 for my gf, she randomly asks what my heart rate is.
>>
>>42670905
>she randomly asks what my heart rate is.
"The thing that increases when I see you, my darling."
>inb4 Garmin Penis gauge
>never mind the distance feel the girth dot jay peg
>>
bump before bedtime.
>>
Fuck this life. Finally the weather is perfect for running, and my leg is still acting out.
>>
File: 1503538757190.jpg (16KB, 613x587px)
1503538757190.jpg
16KB, 613x587px
>tfw you accidentally pause workout tracking and only realise 15 mins later
>>
>>42667299
>run/ walk on treadmill twice week for like 45min
>keep pulse around 150, constant speed, change from running to walking when I get much higher
>cant see any progress after 3 weeks
Any quick fixes for that?
>>
Why would anyone do long distance running when HIIT is objectively better?
>>
>>42672916
There's no quick way to improve and treadmill running in itself is easier as you make little forward effort.

Also don't be too religious about heart rate. And go outside!

>>42673181
Apples and oranges.
>>
>>42673181
>there are runners who don’t do both
wewlad.com
>>
>>42669800
I got the 20s when they first came out. Been running in mizunos for about 5 years. These are the best ones I've had.
>>
>>42667299
finished week two of C25K. still feels bretty good.
>>
Is strava the best app for tracking? I'm starting today and I want something that I can also use with my Mi Band.
>>
Anyone slower on treadmill than on the road?

I run with my pup nearly every day, we do 2-4 miles depending on the weather and I usually average between 8-10 minute pace.

On the treadmill I run like 12 minute miles. It's definitely psychological, but I can't seem to kick it. I also fear tripping/slipping while on the treadmill which I feel slows me down.
>>
File: not2hilly4me.png (127KB, 1080x647px) Image search: [Google]
not2hilly4me.png
127KB, 1080x647px
>>42667299
Just came home from this run, I really feel that I'm getting in better and better shape could've done a few km's more.
>>
>>42674361
Strava has all the basic info you'll care about. Depends how in depth you're going to analyze your data.
>>
>>42674398
Same here. Running in the treadmill is a pain, and not only I go slower than on the road, but I also tend to run shorter distances because it's easier to just say screw it when you don't have to walk back
>>
Would it be more efficient to run a fixed distance and try to lower the time, or run a fixed time and try to increase the distance?
Given that the aim is running 12minutes and atleast 2400 meter
>>
File: IMG_1364.jpg (40KB, 630x421px)
IMG_1364.jpg
40KB, 630x421px
>Not RIP David Torrence edition
I coach boys and girls high school cross country. If you have any questions I'll be lurking.
>>
>>42674530
I thought maybe it was because it had better tracking or software. So I can be fine with Runtastic? I have the pro version and it seems to support the Mi Band
>>
>>42667299
>Consistently been 110F last week and a half
>Coolest it gets at night is 80F
Fuck me brehs, i refuse to run on a treadmill.
>>
>>42674583
neither. run longer. time shouldn't be a concern at this point in your training.
>>
>>42674843
Strava has the autism group though :^)
>>
I hate running. Apart from the 5 or so minutes of me really hitting my stride in a long run, everything else just sucks.
>>
>>42674922
describe your long runs
>>
>>42675016

Last run was 24km.
0-3km warming and getting a rhythm
4-10km normal pace
11-15km hit my stride. amazing
16-18km pain sets in
19-24km absolute torture

My absolute limit is around 28km I think but I don't think I want to find out.
>>
>>42675016

I also can't get it right when it comes to my intake before runs. I run on an empty stomach because it gets upset easily but even then the meal from the might before fucks me over.
>>
>>42675136
are you slowing down considerably after the mid point of your run or is it just painful?
>>
Guys I'm doing SL 5x5, with 3x8 chin up accessory at the end of each workout.

I want to run on off days (tues, thurs, maybe some weekends)

I eat 3k calories a day. How far should I be running? I don't want my strength to decrease or anything. I'm incorporating the cardio to stay healthy and relieve DOMS n shit instead of foam rolling. I wanna run a marathon once a year too but competitively.
>>
>>42669920
I'm not trying to put you down mate but an 18 minute 5k by the end of the year is a big ask going by your current time. It's probably achievable but it may take a bit longer. Also, if you can run an 18:00 5k then you should be looking at much faster than a 45:00 10k.

Train well and give yourself time and you can do it anon.
>>
fuck ITBS
FUCK ITBS
MY FUCKIN KNEES
>>
>>42673181
Possibly because thy want to run far. Believe or not the best way to run further is to run further.
>>
>>42673181
because i want to rape you in every race from 800m up
>>
File: IMG_9092.jpg (18KB, 219x219px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9092.jpg
18KB, 219x219px
Just started running a month ago had runners knee tried pic related fucking work like wonders. Can't believe a single exercise can relive so much pain. Pic is slant board squat.
>>
>>42675228
Bump
>>
Shoe advice?
I'm going to start running on an outdoor track, Tartan(solid polyurethane), and the only running shoes I have are some old Adidas crosstrainers.
What shoes should I get, should I consider spikes if I'm not sprinting?
>>
>>42675693
Should I time myself for an hour and just run and give it my all for that hour? Around a park local to me.
>>
>>42675781
Run 1h at a comfortable speed. If you finish strongly, then you can probably run 4-5 times a week, and go directly into a half marathon or marathon plan.
>>
>>42675885
sounds good man, did you see my original post as well?
>>
>>42675962
Yeah, if you want decent times at a marathon you'll definitely have to run almost every day.
If you don't know where you're at in terms of running, but consider yourself pretty fit (good cardio and legs), then go for what I said.
Running can be tough on the legs at the beginning, so you can do c25k if all else fails.
>>
>>42674808

His last run on Strava was "quarters of death". 2spooky4me

https://www.strava.com/activities/1155856620/pace-analysis
>>
>>42676122
I've done a few 1.5 mile runs and got amazing times. Never done much long distance though.
>>
>>42673181
>HIIT
>High Intensity Interval Training
Uhh, long distance runner do interval training all the time. Two big examples are hill sprints and 800m repeats.
>>
>>42674808
>I coach boys and girls high school cross country
I'm thinking about maybe helping out with my old team, but don't have any previous xc coaching experience. Any suggestions for how I'd gain experience or what I should do to learn how to be an xc coach?
>>
File: 01-crying-baby.jpg (48KB, 1000x660px) Image search: [Google]
01-crying-baby.jpg
48KB, 1000x660px
>>42673181
>STOP DOING WHAT YOU LIKE DOING!!!!
>>
File: 1502629283321.jpg (11KB, 165x306px)
1502629283321.jpg
11KB, 165x306px
If I have to start work at 0730, is it wise to go for an hours run at 0530? Or will I just be fucked by the end of the day?
>>
>>42678399
You'll feel more energized through the day
>>
>>42675016
>>42675136
>>42675168
Looks and sounds like someone is going too strong/fast at the front of the run.
The phrases:
>normal pace
>hitting my stride. amazing
Slow it down further

And mix up the run fuel. I literally just run on hardtack/dry biscuits.

But fuelling in general is a matter of preference. Mix it up. Me? Rice, potatoes, green veg, pancakes (made with flour and besan and water) limited protein (it gives out mucho gases). Post run is breads but those suck as a run refuel thing really.
>>
>>42678399
See what works best. If you find it too tiring then try it after work.
>>
>>42667299
any decent headphones for running?
>>
File: 1502500347091.jpg (57KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1502500347091.jpg
57KB, 700x700px
>how far have you run this week
14.5 miles, aiming for 55
>What are you working on
XC Season, have a 3000m scrimmage Friday
>How was your last run
Alright, nothing too special. Some was good, some was bad
>Any new gear you've been enjoying
USATF Duffel bag. Actually having a large duffel bag to fit stuff in is amazing
>>
What's a respectable 5 mile time for someone who thinks he has decent conditioning?
>>
>>42681177
Probably around 40 minutes? That's 8 minute miles.
>>
>>42681177
I'd say closer to 35
>>
>>42681324
>>42681356
Thanks for the reference, starting tomorrow and I'll be pleased with anything under 45.
Would you say 5 miles a day is too much to start with?
I've been doing daily 1 hour cardio for almost 2 years now, but my main objective is to run without injuries.
>>
>>42681397
>Would you say 5 miles a day is too much to start with?

If you did zero cardiovascular exercise, easily yes.

>I've been doing daily 1 hour cardio for almost 2 years now, but my main objective is to run without injuries.

What type of cardio? Different forms of cardio utilize different muscles. You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you. Even running on a beach, where your legs have to adjust to the uneven footing takes it toll on a developed runner.

Considering you seem to have the aerobic capacity though, trying five out at the pace you mentioned shouldn't hurt. Use it as a test to gauge your running fitness and work from there. If you find yourself winded by mile 2 or 3, you might want to take it down a notch and work up from there.
>>
Anybody here have advice on changing my running form? Anybody done it?
>>
>>42674915
No autism group in Garmin Connect?
>>
>>42681437
>You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you.

This. A million this.

>>42681745
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
>>
>>42681437
not that anon, but how would you say stair stepping stacks up to running? I am practicing the shit out of my stair stepper because i want to volunteer with my local fire dept, but i cant do that on my weekends
>>
>>42675298
No I really appreciate the honesty. I may not hit that goal but I surprised myself the other day by cutting a minute and a half off my time by really pushing myself and running while it was raining and cloudy (it's usually burning hot here). If I can get under 21 by December I'll be happy but I'm going to aim as high as possible.
>>
>>42681887
>This. A million this.
Why does running feel like it takes so much more oxygen than other cardio, yet it's not the best way to burn calories?
>>
>>42681915

Runners trying hills/steps will be surprised at the effort it takes. Hills are a great supplement to any runner across the spectrum, whether sprinter or long distance.

Not sure about vice versa though. Differentials you may be unaccustomed to are differences in cadence and heavier reliance on calf muscles. My guess is you'll be winded if starting running, but will obviously ease into it better than a sedentary person.
>>
>>42681978

What do you consider the best way to burn calories?

Business Insider says running 8MPH (7:30 mile pace) tops most other forms of calorie expenditure.

Granted it's fucking business insider. It says XC skiing burns less calories than running which I find hard to believe, considering XC skiing is a nearly full body workout.
>>
>>42679954
>3000m scrimmage
are you spiking up, boy?
>>
File: 1503539686009.jpg (15KB, 319x331px)
1503539686009.jpg
15KB, 319x331px
How hard do you guys usually breathe when running short distances outside, say a mile or two?

I usually run on the treadmill, somewhat full tilt, but my breath is masked by the noise. Lately, I've been running outside and my breathing seems very loud to me, even when I'm two minutes off my treadmill pace, per mile.

Is it autistic to run fast enough that other people nearby can clearly hear you? How come I don't hear other runners breathing loudly when they come by? Is it just that my breath is amplified in my own head? This is confusing me.
>>
>>42682044
Calories burned are hard to measure, but I always thought incline training, jumping rope and swimming were top of the list.
>>
>>42682145
i breathe in and out on my left footfalls
so left foot strike (breathe in) - right foot strike - left foot strike (breathe out) - right foot strike - left foot strike (breathe in). i found once i was able to focus on my breathing like that running became easier.
>>
>>42667751
LOOK CLOSER not qt.

Also impossible if there was such a field they would just run away from . faster then you could catch up
>>
>>42667299
I just finished C25K and am starting to get some hip pain on one side towards the end of my runs. I'm thinking that the shoes I'm running in are perhaps done (they're some cheap New Balance). Are the Ghost 10s from Brooks any good?
>>
>>42682460

Not shoe related but hip pain may be IT band related. Shoes and strengthening exercises will do the trick.
>>
Ok so, I recently quit smoking, and I want to take up running instead.
I've been a smoker for 3 years, I am not fat, I do excersise in the gym (no cardio there), and I bike omw to work (it's a very hilly way, I bike about 40 mins at least daily).
How long do you think that I'd take me to be able to run 5k? Any other ex-smokers here? Any tips?
>>
File: pic.jpg (146KB, 1400x934px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
146KB, 1400x934px
>>42683647
ex-smoker. Early 40s. Smoked for .... 15 years maybe?

Dropped out of cycling, started again after quitting cigarettes. That upped my cardio. Thought I was fit.

Tried running. >>42681437 is correct. Different muscles. Not impossible though.

Been running 1 year. First run was 2 miles. Bought shoes, couple of times a week I went out, increased mileage, got hooked.

Now? 80km cycling a week basic. 50km a week running minimum. That took about 4 months to work up to. Though I was already cycling between 80 - 160km a week. I swapped out extra miles for runs.

Do C25k, move on from there. You can do it.

That feel
>pic related
Use that to power you out the door and down the road.
>>
Do you any of you run in minimalistic running shoes?
if yes, what pair / brand of minimalistic shoes can you recommend ?
>>
>>42675169

I slow down considerably towards the end. I'm guessing that its just a matter of my body getting used to it because I'm not out of breath at that point

>>42678614

Thanks, man
>>
>>42674398
>I also fear tripping/slipping while on the treadmill which I feel slows me down.
You get used to it real fast. I used to be terrified of tripping as I'm pretty clumsy, but now I can sprint full speed without thinking about it.
Having to keep a constant pace can also slow you down on a treadmill.

>Anyone slower on treadmill than on the road?
I'm hoping this will be the case for me, though I think the slope and weather will slow me down. I can run a 9 minute mile, want to get down to 8 (female, new to running and have 20lbs to lose, so I think 8 is a good target for now) before I switch to running outdoors.
>tfw I could barely run 100m a few months back
>>
>>42681437
>You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you
I have exercise asthma, and cycling doesn't bother me at all but I need an inhaler to run.
Running feels so much more rewarding though, the dopamine high is like no other exercise I've tried.
>>
I struggle to breath after half a mile and don't know what to do. It feels like I have narrow air ways.

I just got my heart checked and its as healthy as its ever been, so its not that.

ALSO my quads get sooooo painful when running its all I can think about. They're quite big from lifting and every time I run the pain is similar to DOMS in a bad way.

How do I make running easier?

I hate doing it because its so painful, but my military tests are in a month and I'm barely where I need to be.

I can't just tough it out tbqhfam
>>
>>42684243
>military tests are in a month
>I can't just tough it out tbqhfam

Shit nigga get it together.

You sound like navy! You gonna be sucking navy cock nigga?

Get asthma shit checked out.

>quads
https://youtu.be/kv-qDcJRlWQ
>>
>>42684243
>I struggle to breath after half a mile and don't know what to do. It feels like I have narrow air ways.
I'm >>42684199
and sounds like you have exercise asthma too. I used to be gasping for air within 300m, and it didn't seem to get easier no matter how much I did it. Felt like I just couldn't get the air in, and took me a long to recover to "normal" breathing. It was embarrassing, breathing that hard.
Now with an inhaler, I can run a lot longer before getting out of breath, and even then, I'm not nearly so out of breath as I used to be.
>>
>>42684294
This is the second time I've been suggested this idea and you have me convinced to try an inhaler.

>>42684293
Okay true, I gotta get my head in the game.
Thank you for that video!

>>42684294
>>42684293
Just wanna say I have never gotten helpful responses so quickly on 4chan before and I really appreciate it!
>>
>>42684306
It has it's moments.

I like /run/ everywhere else is cancer.

Question:
long distances. running for more than 2.5hrs.

wat do? slowed down and covered 25km in 2.5hrs
>dead.jpg
want to hit the 50. am I gonna have to go like 13min mile or something?
>>
>>42684353

Increasing mileage will naturally make your more tired. Increasing mileage is a staple to getting faster as an endurance runner. As such, it's a new physiological adaption your body has to overcome. You will feel tired if a single run you do is significantly longer than normal.

It's appropriate to increase weekly mileage about 10%. Not sure comparing the distances between one long run and another though.
>>
>>42684401
yeah, I am getting the same average miles per week roughly but on one "long run" I went for time rather than distance. the distance was only 4km more in the end and recovery has been a bitch.

summer doesnt help.
>>
>>42681824
Not as far as I know, but you can simply link garmin connect to strava and it will sync all your shit automatically.
>>
has anyone here tried to balance running long distance and lifting heavy?

did it work? how did you do it?
>>
>>42685151
Run on the days you are not lifting, dont run long after the heavy deadlift or squat day
>>
of all the things to take an extended break from, running has to be the shittiest to get back into.

>was running pretty well during 1st quarter of the year after not running for a while
>shift goals and shelf most of my running for a few months
>decide to go for an easy 3 mile run this morning
>knees hurt, hips hurt, cadence is horrible, breathing is off, balls chafe, pebble in shoe

How long does it take you guys to get back into running after not doing it for a while?
>>
>>42686116
Just one day, try again tomorrow.
>>
>>42686282
I'm going to the gym tonight, gonna do another 2-3 miles on the treadmill. it'll take more than a day though; I imagine it'll be a week or 2 before the runs stop being noticeably uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1503704353746.jpg (117KB, 750x422px)
1503704353746.jpg
117KB, 750x422px
Eating before running is a silly meme. I have absolutely no cramps, and my stomach remains calm during and after runs. I feel lighter and more energized without a pre run meal. I have breakfast after my workout. Maybe it's not this way for everyone. For me, however, empty stomach = masterful performances
>>
>>42686565
First time I tried running before eating, I threw up and I normally have a strong stomach, only time I've ever thrown up without food poisoning.

But I tried it again months later and weighing 30lbs less, and had no problem. I now run on an empty stomach whenever I can.
Dunno what was wrong that first time except being hideously out of shape.
>>
File: 1501634898809.png (431KB, 640x478px)
1501634898809.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>42686630
I threw up after my first day of training ever. I was cycling and lasted about 15 minutes. I staggered up to my front door and lost my guts all over my front porch. I think we both over-exerted. You probably would have vomited with, or without a meal. Being unfit makes exercise brutal.
>>
>>42686565
This is interesting for me. I usually have pasta and tuna and coffee before an hour before u run but it intrigues me that this could inhibiting me.
>>
>>42667299
>Running

Non-Dutch people are truly degenerate.
>>
cyclepleb who wants to start running here.

Should you carry water while running or just drink after?
>>
>>42687184
You really wanna drink while running but it gives me cramps personally :(
>>
>>42675136
>tfw can only run like 3km's

>been practising for 2 years

guess 8 years of smoking did no good to my lungs and you can't recover
>>
>>42687482
I've been running 6 months and can't run past a mile at 8mph, or at least I barely can.

I can run for ages at 6mph but that's like fast walking...
>>
>>42687507
yeah same man i can go easily on 2 hour walks and i walk always fast

when i walk for long i also start to sweat

its just running that i cant do

i was told if you stop smoking your lungs will restore for like 95% but i feel that is way off

like 3km is the limit and i almost die at the end
>>
>>42687538
The advice I got was to work on distance first, speed second.
So jog like 15+ miles a week, then increase your speed slowly over time.

Don't try and mentally limit yourself. I do it too, and now I am stuck :c
>>
>>42687549
>jog 15miles a week

thats like 25km

i said i cant even do 3km

the problem isnt the distance its the speed

i can walk for long but not run for long
>>
>>42687594
That's your issue, you need to do more.

Jog 5km three times a week, feel free to take a couple min rests, just make sure you run the full thing.
>>
>>42687612
ok i'll try maybe tomorrow
>>
>>42687614
I'll do it with you

....tomorrow
>>
After runs I have slight pain in my upper quad/maybe hip area. Usually it's there the next day but gone the day after that so I'm fine to run. I'm getting new shoes and doing glute exercises but it's fine for me to run on that right?
>>
What 5k time would consider /fit/ for a woman?
>>
>>42689095
25 mins but I have like, a bad understanding of running.
>>
>>42689095
>>42689130
I'd say 27 or so. As a baseline "fit" time.
>>
>>42689222
>>42689130
Thanks, 25:00 is my aim for the next couple of months, but I feel slow compared to all the sub 20 times
>tfw proportionally short legs
>>
>>42688727
As long as it's not getting worse, it should be ok. Be sure to check your form every now and then.
>>
>>42689411
What form wise might be causing that? My biggest issue I think is not picking up my legs enough, I don't keep my legs locked out straight but I don't think I'm lifting my feet up enough. I'm not quite sure how to rectify that though, if I consciously try to make an effort to bend my knees more it feels weird
>>
>>42689647
Could be slow cadence?
I don't pick up my legs either and haven't had that kind of problems. Maybe I'm just lucky though
>>
File: Screenshot_20170830-135901_01.png (21KB, 1080x335px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170830-135901_01.png
21KB, 1080x335px
What's the hottest heat you ever ran in
>>
>>42674808
have you ever hooked up with any of the qts
>>
>>42689812
I don't run very fast so perhaps that's the case. I'm not running for a hobby but I have conscription duty once I graduate from uni so I need to run for that and meet the requirements so I'm not too concerned about speed, just don't want to get fucked by my hip. I'll try running with a faster cadence and see where that gets me
>>
running in rain (and humidity and heat because fuck you that's why. Thanks weather!)

advice from anons?
>>
>>42690932
Protect your nipples.
>>
>>42692150
I already shaved off chest hair so my KT tape sticks better.

>aerodynamics
>>
Passed a group of highschool cross country girl runners today.
Felt good, despite being 10 years older than any of them.
>>
Doms
>>
I need to stop making excuses and just fucking stick a running plan
>My hip hurt a bit after that last run, probably should take a week off
>I feel a bit sick, I probably shouldn't run

This always happens to me after I do the easiest fucking shit in the world like week 1 of c25k. I internally agonize so much about whether or not I'm doing things in the most optimal way that I never end up doing anything
>>
>>42667299
When did you anons start running? My dad got me in to it when i was 11.
>>
>>42689883
115F
But back in high school where i abused the shit out of my body doing runs and recovery wasnt nearly as bad as before
>>
>>42695427
>I internally agonize so much about whether or not I'm doing things in the most optimal way that I never end up doing anything
This is used to be me with studying/schoolwork, up until my depression got so bad I could no longer see the point in doing anything and had a complete breakdown.

The key to getting out of that mindset is finding a balance between challenge yourself but also give yourself breaks when you actually need them. "Reward" yourself just enough to keep going (you don't have to do any "self love" crap, just make sure you're getting something out of it) but also aim to always be be better. Having off days is okay, and learn to take failure in your stride - you can be disappointed, but don't be crushed. Aim for better, but learn to cope with imperfection.
>>
>>42695555
quads of truth.

Plus running is less about performance and more about pain tolerance. How much discomfort can you endure before calling it quits?

Don't damage yourself but learn to live with stuff that is not comfortable and identify that as independent of injury.
>>
>>42695642
>Don't damage yourself but learn to live with stuff that is not comfortable and identify that as independent of injury.

This is what fucks me up, because I'm still learning to judge the difference between just temporary muscle pain and when you should stop before you make it worse.
I hurt my ankle a bit yesterday, and there was very little warning before it turned from "normal" pain that goes away and sudden sharp pain. I think I'll be okay to run again tomorrow, but it's annoying as fuck.

Also, I'm shit at warming up because I don't have the patience and want to go straight into a faster speed, but that's my own fault.
>>
>>42695440
at 24 or so.
Ran every now and then through highschool and university, probably around once a month
>>
>>42695741
you sound exactly like me. Bet you do perfunctory post-run stretches after, right?

The tight muscles in the legs will pull on the back and the feet and stuff creating more discomfort. Does with me.

Rolling them out works wonders, especially the thighs. I don't have a foam roller, I use a 2L coke bottle filled with water. A bit of give in it but quite hard. Sort of works.
>plastic
>cylinder

TL;DR Do your stretches and rolling.
>>
File: behind.jpg (31KB, 500x500px)
behind.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>42696853
2/3
>>
>>42696853
Thanks anon, you're the second person to recommend rolling. I'll try with a bottle or something similar, too broke right now for a foam roller.
>>
Anyone else played sports and have done the yo-yo test? This is my third time doing it and my best is 17.1. It is hell on earth.
>>
File: oh my.jpg (31KB, 500x500px)
oh my.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>42696869
3/3
>sorry.png

Good site for sport stuff. Got lost looking at water carriers and compression tops.

>no really.
>>
>>42696920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLCBXf9MXhs

That is brilliant idea
>>
How to attain 6 min mile? I can maintain that speed for about 2 min before tiring.
>>
>>42696984
Alternate between that speed and walking until you can keep it for longer and longer
>>
>>42695440
Same with me
>>
I am wanting to get to where I can run 5 miles in 40 minutes. I have a long ways to go though currently I can

>run a mile in 7 minutes, exhausted cannot run any farther
>jog 3 miles in 30 minutes

Should I just keep running flat out and work up to being able to run 5 miles in 40 minutes, or get to where I can jog 5 miles and then work on lowering my time?

>t. recovering fat whose lost 95 pounds
>>
>>42675407
this
>>
File: 20170831_091808.png (397KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170831_091808.png
397KB, 1080x1920px
Fug lads, we just did a team time trial (8 mile tempo), plus a 2 mile warmup and a 2 mile cooldown. I'm absolutely dead right now, but I did great.
>>
>>42697471
I'd say work up to 7-8 miles, all while doing intervals once or twice a week. You should see improvement quite quickly.
>>
>>42673181

1. aerobic running improves running economy, making your HIIT intervals faster
2. aerobic running improves your body's ability to handle extended anaerobic intervals (ie. the stuff that actually improves VO2max)
3. Ignoring the face that intervals and easy runs support each other, the term objectively better implies that there is an objectively better aspect of fitness to improve, and parenthetically, that anything more than a singular goal is mutually exclusive
>>
>>42697544
mirin dat pace
>>
>>42683749
Another cyclist reporting in, I gave it a try last night. Went slow and easy, no tendon/joint issues, just muscle soreness. A lot of muscle soreness, I walk like a cripple.
Love it.
>>
>>42697544
>42:55
>8 mi
>5:22/mi
I don't think I can sprint one mile in 5:22. How are you gazelles moving that fast for that long?
>>
File: IMG_8075.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_8075.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>42678399

Started my long run at 5:42 AM on a weekday this week. Last hour or so of work sucked. Still had enough energy to fug my wife later that night. Just eat a lot, drink some strong coffee, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>42697665

Not that anon, but LOTS of easy mileage, a fair volume of running at paces both a little faster and a little slower than the pace at which you accumulate lactic acid, some HIIT, some sprinting, some weights, some hills, and a few years of patience and persistence.

To the anon who did at 8 5:22, gonna guess you're around 15:30-16:00 for 5k on the track? I did some long tempos in college of 6-8 at 5:20-30 and ended up with a 15:11 5k PR, so if you're time trialing that distance and pace that's where I'd guess you're at.
>>
question: me and a friend want to join a 5k that is being held in 23 days, neither of us run and are not in the best shape but we lift. how can we prepare for it in the time span?
>>
>>42667299
45km
Endurance
>How was your last run?
Some hills training in the bush.
I just ruined a wireless headset, and liked it enough that I am replacing it. (plantronics backbeat fit)
Protip - don't charge while the unit is still sweaty. It will cook in corrosion a lot faster.
>>
>>42697740
My track 5k is 14:59
>>
>>42697627
Thanks lad
>>
>>42697665
Basically, easy days are easy, hard days are hard.
>>
>>42697471
>GOTTA GO FAST!!!
>>
Do I have asthma?

I just ran 8mph for 9 minutes without stopping
(Which is like 1.10-20 mile)

Afterwards I started hyper ventilating and have a pain in my heart.

My doctor just yesterday said my heart was normal and fine. (I had a scan)

Am I asthmatic?
>>
>>42699277
Just to add, I also am gasping for air when running

But now, 3 minutes later I am back to normal, with just a little Heart pain
>>
File: 20170831_181527.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px)
20170831_181527.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Marathon training complete. Form on point.

>Tfw you're so in shape you only burn 1600 calories on a 30 km run

Feels bad man
>>
>>42697471
>RANGER!
>>
>>42699477
fuck thias almost round screen shit bothers me,remembered when smartwatches where new and somewhat promising the moto watch came on the scene and it was gorgeous,very nice leather band too,not too expensive, it had the same screen,second gen,same fucking screen
then everyone realized most smartwatches are maymay and the first guys in where also the first out,(motorola)
>>
File: 1504059804788.jpg (498KB, 1084x1912px)
1504059804788.jpg
498KB, 1084x1912px
>>42697716
>>42699477
cool watches
>>
>>42699477
How long did it take to achieve this? How old are you? Height and weight?

I'd love to be this fit but it running is one of the most painful things in the world for me.
>>
>>42699574
This will probably be demotivating as fuck, but I started running 2 years ago. I was also 140 kg 2 years ago.
>>
>>42699595
Demotivating in what way? That's impressive as fuck.

I'm 5'10 and 91kg, just doing a mile run hurts like nothing else I can describes.

I hope to be like you one day
>>
>>42699618
It might not be demotivating now, but it can be down the road if you try and fail to get the same results. On the other hand, it can also be motivating that you don't want to lose to a fat slob.
>>
>>42686565
I feel like I have less energy

For those that do what does /run/ eat beforehand?
>>
>>42699554
>>42699554
>>>42697716
>>>42699477
Great watches m8s
>>
>>42699977
Fug, messed that one up
>>
>>42699477
Trim your arm hair.
>>
>>42699977
>check this brand on amazon
>150-300 euros

wew

anyone know of any cheaper alternatives? I just want something with GPS for distance and timings
>>
>havn't ran in 4 days because of depression
>not running actually makes it worse
>yet I can't motivate myself to go
>>
how do I increase aerobic gains without compromising my 800 time?
>>
>>42700196
If you don't care about accuracy, just use the strava app on your phone. All actual GPS watches will be at least 150+ dollars
>>
>>42700389
Or Garmin FR 15 which costs only $70.
>>
>>42700206
Just get out the door, the rest works itself out.

Just get that far. The shoes, the door. small victories. Then think about running.
>>
>>42700820
Leaf here, that shit is 160 CAD
please end me now senpai
>>
>>42700206
I haven't ran in 4 days either but because of a small injury. Will try a short run today and see how it goes.
>>
>>42699554
Clean your bathroom.
>>
40 meters x 20
I'm trying to sprint faster, I don't know how to train though, so I just go to a park, and run 40 meters as fast as I can every other day. Will this work?
>>
>>42701352
Run a 6 minute mile first
>>
>Strava vs mapmyrun

well /run/?
>>
>>42701352

A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
>>
>>42667299
6.6 miles
Just started training with a triathlon team, so I've been swimming a lot, and getting back into running.
>How was your last run?
2.9 miles at 6:20 pace. Just a quick little moderate paced jog before a date tonight.
Literally none. I've had the same damn running shoes for 2 years.
>>
>>42701427
Which one do you see in the OP?
>>
>>42667299
Not being awful at running.
>How was your last run?
5K.
New brooks shoes.

I just started running regularly. Have all sorts of aches and pains so am taking some time off to recover and get back to it. At the moment I'm incredibly slow but have at least managed to run for an hour non-stop.
>>
File: black-and-white-pomade_1.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
black-and-white-pomade_1.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
Anyone else out there need to grease their thighs and/or other bits?

Found a good use for my old Black & White's hair pomade. It also annoys the fuck out of me that this stuff has been highjacked by the vintage hipster crew. Shit Been buying this stuff since before half you hipsters were fucking born.

My hairy thighs are now slick.

>Not buying specialist thigh grease

>pic related
>>
>>42702085
run to recover. go far slower and chill, keep moving.
>>
>>42667299
>5k time is about 30mins
>10k time (with hills) 1h10

How fucked am I got half marathon mid October? I don't run too often
>>
Need some advice from runners.

Running a 5k for the first time in 2 and a half weeks. Last time I ran distances over a mile had to be like 4 years ago when playing high school sports. Started training this week by running a mile each day. Calves feel fucking destroyed, so I took a rest day yesterday and the pain hasn't gone away.

Need to know how to train up for endurance since I don't really care about time, only care about completion. My mile time is only about 11 minutes and that alone makes me feel fatigued.
>>
>>42672916
>twice a week
>for three weeks
>SIX runs
>whereismyprogress.jpg
>>
Should I eat at a surplus to get faster?

Some background: I'm just getting out of a 8 week injury, before that I could run a 1:22:00 half marathon. Now I'm trying to build my speed & endurance back. I've never really put too much thought into my diet, so I'm thinking of how best to get my legs back into shape.
>>
File: 1451445192904.jpg (35KB, 696x785px)
1451445192904.jpg
35KB, 696x785px
>>42701427
>not using Golden Cheetah or TrainingPeaks to get valuable data on training stress so you can plan out your runs and paces better
>>
13.2 miles long run. Slight improvement. Still feel like a failure.
>pic related
>old fag
>not fast enough for me
>>
How can I go for a run without normalfags staring at me?
>>
>>42703837
Ignore them.
(And put some clothes on)
>>
So I've started my first serious cut and I'm incorporating cardio regularly into my workouts. I've been trying to do HIIT or just standard running, but it gives me a super sore lower back the next day. Serious discomfort coming up from bending over and stuff. What do?
>>
>>42703590
An 8.44 minute mile is pretty good dude
>>
>lifting going well
>try some cardio again
>enjoy it
>really enjoy it

Havent lifted in 2 weeks. Running 2-3 days and cycling 1-2 now. I went down this road once before yearsago and went from 1/2/3/4 lifts to skellington. I dont wanna do it again but why is cardio so fun? Something about lifting seems to bore me after several months. Hitting PR's is fun and all but just doesnt compare.

How good could one possibly get in say running lifting and cardio if doing all 3 at the same time? Am i doomed to be a mediocre jack of all trades or can i actually get a sub20min 5km while lifting well and cycling?
>>
>>42702266
With some dedication six weeks is enough to make noticable but not crazy improvements at your level. I think you're looking at a 2.15-2.30 half with some work
>>
>>42706370
Help me obi-wan, you're my only hope.

Should I focus on doing a lot of short runs, or a few long runs?

Or if there's a 6 week plan to follow?

Anything in my diet I can do different? I'm cutting out sugars and snacks as much as I can.
>>
>>42703837
wear camouflage compression tights
>>
>>42706488
doubt there are any six week plans for a half-marathon, i think the general idea is you need like 10 weeks to properly prepare in an organized manner. thats not to say youre fucked, slower people than you finish halfs every day.

since you have a 10k time it sounds like youre used to doing pretty long runs so thats good. try to do a long slow run every week, build it up to maybe 14-15km for your last long run two weeks before the half. also do one shorter but high intensity run per week, and 1-2 middle distance but a bit easier runs

dont worry too much about food. at hobby level it hardly matters unless youre poisoning yourself. just eat some extra carbs the days before the race, and maybe charge up a little extra before your long run days too.
>>
Does anyone here do heavy squats and running?
I can't seem to keep up my endurance when running and squatting on the same day.
I'm not sure if I should be squatting on the same day as I run or on the off days, but that will mean I get no rest for my legs.
>>
>>42699554
>>
>>42706580
I swim on my lifting days instead
>>
>>42706571
Thanks! :)
>>
>>42697716
Fuck thats a good pace, did my first half a few weeks ago and got 1:33 couldn't walk proper for a good while and your doing that shit before work. Props to you
>>
>>42697544

Nice. I take it your 5K PR is in the low 15's?
>>
>>42703590
>I don't match up to the e-stat Anons...I'm therefore a failure.
No. Stop comparing yourself to attentionwhores.
>>
>>42706580
No, I focus more on stabilization and endurance instead of strength and power (which I do with hill repeats). When I do squats, I either do shrimp or pistols with a 20-40lb on a weight vest. 4x20, then 1xF.
>>
>>42705645
>>42707477

Eh.... 8:44 is pretty slow. I'm not sure if most anons realize just how slow they are relative to the population of people who actually run. Sort of like how people come into the gym and get stoked and think they're strong because they can do half range squats x 5 with "one of the big plates."
>>
>>42707980
There is no reason not to be happy with improvement anon.
>>
>>42707980
>I have better stats!!!
Who fucking cares other than your circlejerk? What matters is that he is doing something other than being a complacent fuck and is willing to improve.

/run/ used to not care but now it's pretty much another /plg/ circlejerk. It was really just a matter of time though.
>>
>>42705645
it's not...
>>
>>42707980
So you are comparing apples to oranges? Overall, that is a decent time within one standard deviation from the median of half-marathon times.

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/how-do-you-compare-to-the-average-road-racer

Stop being an elitist.
>>
20 miles. 25 by the end of the afternoon
Consistently running 5 miles everyday. (25 miles weekly).
>How was your last run?
It was alright. Wanted to run more miles to make up for not running last Friday but I was to exhausted.
>>
is my phone full retard? I can't download strava and Google play store can't find it
>>
>>42708260
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava
>>
>>42708277
it says 'item not found' i have an S6 so I'm guessing it's jewgle trying to get me to buy a new phone
>>
>How far
33 right now , should be 41 later in the day
>Working on
65 k before ends of week and consistently starting everyday with an asap 5-8 km jog
>First time doing asap running after waking up , alarm beepin' at 2am , outdoor at 2:08 just enough time to put clothes on and drink a sip of coffee , eyes were closing themselves during the first 2 km out of 8 total .
>>
>>42708328
Oh man, I would love to be able to run before starting my day (< 7). In this shit city I would probably be stabbed in the first week.
>>
>>42708345
I'm in a small countryside village , 350 old fuckers max in it , I run 600m in the on the road and i'm in the wood , it's comfy but i'm afraid of getting my shit pushed in by an angry animal .
>>
>>42708290
Could be an international restriction? Although I dont see why would strava have that.
You can always download the apk directly
>>
>>42708361
Living in small cities is awesome for running, sadly impossible in my career choice. Do you have survival skills? Seems like a good idea to learn some, I would feel a lot safer in your situation carrying a knife or something.
>>
12.5Km and 16 hill sprints (Its a really long hill)
I have provincials (or state, but i live in the great white north) at the start of november so im on a 3 month training plain to do a sub 12min 3k
>How was your last run?
Hill sprints were yesterday the 16 times almost killed me... I have a 4k recovery today

Also fun fact I'm a para-athlete and might be going to Tokyo in 2020 (finding out early next year), Im a T37
>>
>>42708394
I wonder If a knife would really help against an angry badger or boar
>>
>>42707320
14:59 atm. Our coach called this a "time trial" but he did have a set of paces he wanted us to go. It was basically a long tempo to gauge who would be in the top 5 for this season.
>>
is running on a beach barefoot detrimental to your health? Like bad for feet, or legs, or back, etc.
>>
>>42708466
I think it would be if you went too fast / too often too soon .
>>
File: garfieldpipe.png (796KB, 727x597px) Image search: [Google]
garfieldpipe.png
796KB, 727x597px
is it weird to use a camelbak when running to hold things instead of for water
will people laugh me
>>
>>42708624
What would you want to carry?
I used to put my phone in my hydration belt, but didn't really care or pay attention if people noticed.
>>
>>42708624
I used the bladder pack of my hydration vest for food instead. I know plenty of springs on the trail I can use to refill if I neef to refill the my two water bottles and I also carry a portable water filter + water purfication tablets in the event the springs are not closeby and the creek is the only source of water.
>>
File: cat.jpg (84KB, 846x437px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
84KB, 846x437px
>>42708818
phone and inhaler
>>42709039
ty
>>
>>42709070
Any tips for running with asthma?
>>
>>42702297
I guess the problem is you tried doing too much too soon. I'd say rest until recovered, then run at most once every two days. Depending on how you're feeling by race time, i'd recommend a run/walk approach
>>
How fast will I get injured if I run 10km every day as a novice?

I can comfortably run at 9.5-10km/h for what feels like an eternity because it's under my lactic threshold, but I'm worried about getting injured.
>>
~18miles
Building up to a half-marathon run. I started running ~2 months ago and have made it to 10K so far. Current plan is to inch slowly forward, 10K, 12K, 15K,etc. Short term goal atm is 15K, long term goal is a marathon. Hoping to maintain my current 5min/km pace all the way.
>How was your last run?
I went a new route, it ended up being very hilly with 1 mile total ascent. Overall it felt good but I think these hills are fucking up my knees.

I'm starting to get knee discomfort after runs. Is it poor quality shoes (Asiics Patriot 7 are my current ones) or all the downhill running I do? Or a combination of both. Or is it just normal for beginners to experience it after a couple months.
>>
>>42710347
Imho 10k 7/w will keep you busy but progress will probably be kind of meh.
What's your current mileage? What are you trying to achieve (faster/longer/mix of both)?

>>42710472
I think it's normal as downhill needs practice. Just make sure not to do consecutive hill days and let the knees recover if they still don't feel right.
Maybe find something <=8% incline to practice: you want to lean forward while going down, taking lighter steps midfoot.
>>
>>42702266
I did half mar from 0 runing to 2:01 half mar at 31 degrees while also being a smoker in 3 months

Half mar is more about mind, do one 15-16km run on your own before it, so you will understand how your body performs and then you can manage it in your head.

My more /fit friends ran 2:17 and 2:35 cuz they didnt have the mental endurance.
>>
>>42710713
>What's your current mileage? What are you trying to achieve (faster/longer/mix of both)?

Atm I'm running from 5-7k every other day. I'm having some slight knee-pain right after my runs and my knees feel really stiff 10-20 minutes after I'm done running, so I'm a bit worried.

I don't have any specific goals, just running longer I guess.
>>
What do you anons think of this article:
https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-8-minute-mile-standard
I don't know enough to know if it's all factually true, but I think he makes a good case for achieving a good base in speed before trying for longer distances.
>>
File: chrome_2017-09-01_11-29-52.jpg (208KB, 1704x1021px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-09-01_11-29-52.jpg
208KB, 1704x1021px
>>42706781
reporting in...
>>
File: 1496258479771.jpg (25KB, 480x439px)
1496258479771.jpg
25KB, 480x439px
>>42667299
I just started seeing someone who thinks I am not accomplishing enough with my life because fitness and nutrition my passion and makes me happy.

How am I suppose to deal with this?
>>
>>42711340
Depends. What is his/her suggestion? As far as hobbies go you couldn't find a better one desu. If it is screwing with you working/your relationships maybe you should reevaluate.
>>
>>42667299
>how far?

This week I only clocked around 35 miles, I like to shoot for 40-45.

>what are doing totay?

Went to the gym to kick the shit out of the stairmaster and eliptical. Then Strength training for calves quads and asscheeks

>last run?

I touched the "tree" 5 miles to a uni and back home. A nice 10 mi run at a rough 9"35 pace. I'd like to get faster and touch the tree twice, hence me going to the gym and skipping on mega runs like that.

>New gear?

A fucking phanny pack. My phone is too big and I didn't want to carry it in my hand, now I can add weights and put a small swig of water I stead of buying a camel back or stopping at the Carl's junior for a cup of water haha
>>
File: rf.jpg (103KB, 500x500px)
rf.jpg
103KB, 500x500px
>>42711340
Rarley have felt contentment that compares to a shower and a bowel of oatmeal following a run I name easy but most would consider the achievment of a lifetime.
>>
>>42710995
>this
That was my 8:44 13.2 mile earlier. Been doing this 1 year. I go alone. I run. I'm well over 40. Ex-smoker. I'm annoyed because I missed my PR for that distance.

>carenot.gif

Intrinsic vs extrinsic motivations.

>comparison is the thief of joy
>pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 420x600px)
image.jpg
31KB, 420x600px
Training for apft. I get to 1.25 mile at 7:30 pace but I tire so quickly once I hit it. Do I just need to run distance at slow pace for endurance?
>>
>>42667299
My area is absolutely shit for running, more likely to get run for my phone than anything m thinking about buying a treadmill to run at home. Hows this look?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007O5B0LC/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504298157
>>
>>42712574
Slow the fuck down, Sonic. Build your aerobic base before focusing on speed.
>>
>Get horrible knee pain whenever running
>Take a week break and stretch for 45 minutes every day, knees are feeling better
How should I stretch prior to/ after running to prevent injury?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 720x540px)
image.jpg
55KB, 720x540px
>>42712611
Well the problem is apft broski. I have to do 2 in under 15:55 so that's a good pa e for me to be used to do I have a small amount of time to rely on for bad conditions on pt test day.
>>
>>42712683
You have to run slightly faster than 8 minutes a mile.
Find the pace you want and keep at it until you can't do any more. See what distance you ran. Add 10-15% due to the psychological boost from it actually mattering in the APFT. Keep training at that pace until you can complete at a passing speed comfortably.

AROTC?
>>
>>42711214
Speed is part of the problem. Establishing an aerobic base and focusing on form is more important than speed. Speed has nothing to do with form. I know plenty of 5 minute mile heel strikers who are constantly sidelined due to injuries. I know plenty of mid distance runners with achilles tendonitis due to toe running. That guy does not know shit. Further proof that anyone who cites BM seriouy should be laughed and shamed.
>>
>>42712767
>heel strikers

where are you supposed to strike?
>>
>>42712784
Midfoot.
>>
>>42712813
well shit. I been fuckin up.
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 960x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 960x656px
>>42712764
National guard. I see the fat fucks in my btn and I don't want to fail my pt like them. It's disgusting. Especially being a 68w.
>>
>>42712784
Midfoot. The only benefit to heel striking is that it uses way less energy. However, it has a very significantly higher risk for injuries. The payoff does not outweigh the negatives.
>>
>>42712838
Get some minimalist shoes (or run barefoot on a really soft surface) once a week. It was how I corrected myself. Many have said hill sprints does the job too.
>>
Hey guys,

anyone recommend me a decent app? Been running a long time but never recorded any stats to see how i've been doing. Would like something that records distance/time

much appreciated
>>
>>42712990
Strava
>>
>>42712869

Hey, when I run I got from the 'ball' of my foot to the heel (in fact, my heel doesnt hardly impact the ground)

I do this precisely because I heard about the 'natural running movement' thing and figured that would be it; am I doing it right?
>>
>>42713012

cheers m8
>>
File: ankle-sprain.jpg (55KB, 699x384px) Image search: [Google]
ankle-sprain.jpg
55KB, 699x384px
>tfw sprained ankle

Usually takes me about a week before I can walk properly and 2 weeks to apply full pressure on the foot.

How fast do you recover from a sprained ankle /run/ ?
>>
Had a good run tonight lads. 7.5mi, average 7m47s pace. Since I started bringing my headphones along I've stopped having negative thoughts from exertion. The only thing is I don't notice cars unless I see their headlights.
>>
File: 20170901_182340.jpg (2MB, 4032x1960px)
20170901_182340.jpg
2MB, 4032x1960px
Might as well join a thread theme of GPS watches.

>tfw poorfag and cannot afford a better GPS watch
>>
I'm running a 5 mile race tomorrow morning, any advice?
Should I eat breakfast (8:30 start time).
I was told to go slower than normal at the start because my adrenaline will make me run faster and fuck up my pace/endurance.
Probably going to be raining and cool, should I wear my underarmor long shirt, or just a regular one?
I usually run 8~ minute miles, so I'm hoping to get a flat 8 tomorrow since it's my first race.
>>
>get call for job
>they ask if I am still interested
>I say yes, thinking they are setting up an interview
>ask for the soonest interview
>she says she will send an email with the details
>read the email
>its the physical test, not an interview
>in just 3 weeks
I wasn't prepared for this. What are the best ways to improve cardio in 3 weeks, even if it is very small improvements?
>>
new runner here, is it detrimental to just keep running when you absolutely feel like shit? I cant get past 2/3rds of a mile because I feel like shit but Ive heard that if you just push you can really hurt yourself. Ive gotten to the point where I can run .6 just fine but anywhere after that I plummet
>>
>>42713880
Have you ran in any other races? Do you run in the morning? If so, do you usually eat? Warmup for 0.5 to 1 mile at a 10:30-11:00min/mi pace about 15-30 minutes prior. Dress as of it's 10 degrees warmer. Is the clothing water resistant? If you usually run 8 min/mi, you'll probably run 7:30 min/mi at minimum. Your adrenaline will be skyrocketing. It would not be surprising that you run it completely at <7 min/mi without realizing. It helps even more due to coolness.
>>
>>42713924
Run/walk intervals

>>42713954
Progress will always be uncomfortable (I hate speed drills for this reason). Have you been doing run/walk/run sessions? Theres a reason c25k includes them.
>>
>>42714025
I am currently doing c25k and Im on week two but I wanted to see how far I can run total as a base line. I plan on continuing it but at the same time I just want to be able to run a full mile. Should I just stick to c25k and ignore the full "mile" runs?
>>
why do i get really fucking winded when i just sit and breath in and out fully? Shit, do i have to wear one of those gay masks while I work at my office?
>>
>>42714090
Don't deviate from the plan. It's set up that way for a reason.
>>
Started B210k last week (had a 32min 5k before). How should I adapt it for a 10k by the end of the month? I'm running 3x a week in my rest days from SS.
>>
File: 1499370670764.jpg (384KB, 1024x1348px)
1499370670764.jpg
384KB, 1024x1348px
>>42667299
How far have you run this week?

What are you working on?
Marathon

How was your last run?
Good! Couldn't go too far, as I want to run a faster 6mi tomorrow morning, and a 14 mi the next day.

Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Finally broke my shoes in, it feels like (Nike Odyssey Zoom 2). I have probably like 150 miles on them now. They were giving me lots of blisters before.
>>
>>42712869
>>42712813
Thanks for the tip guys, I tried modifying my running strike today and that did a lot to deal with my aches. Only problem is I'm slow as hell. I'm guessing that's a muscle imbalance which will be rectified with time.
>>
>>42713996
Nope, this is my first run.
Usually mid/late mornings. 10 o-clockish. No, I don't eat then. Was just curious because it was earlier in the morning.
K, I can do a quick jog before I go.
10 degrees, got it.
Not water resistant at all, no.
>sub 7
I can dream, but I don't see it happening.
Thank, though.
>>
>>42712603
Bump for help
>>
File: pic related.jpg (29KB, 417x450px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
29KB, 417x450px
Pic related. Got another 16 tomorrow I have to do.

Marathon.

>How was your last run?
Good since it was a nice, slow recovery day.

Nope.
>>
>>42714532
Why is your area shitty?
>>
>>42714258
I think you're pushing yourself a bit too hard. A 32 min 5k says to me that you need more training before accelerating anything. Just follow the b210k guide.
>>
>>42714552
what kind of pace are your hitting across these different runs?
>>
>>42687482
you fat piece of shit been smoking for 6 years and im trying to quit been running my usual 10k every week just try to spit all that shit drink a lot and you'll get it much love
>>
>>42714739
Most of them are really slow recovery runs at 9:30 min/mi with the exception of yesterday which was at 10min/mi since I was just exhausted from stress from work. The intervals I did on Tuesday were at 12x(6:30 for 400m, 1 min rest @ 10:30). Just to add info, I do my long runs are at 10min/mi pace.
>>
>>42667299
How do I get faster I run a mile/1600m at 8:50. Mind you I haven't ran a mile for about 2years. What are the best things I can do to get faster and lower my time?
>>
>>42714897
cardio.
Start c25k, start racking up miles. Your heart will learn to pump blood, and the miles will eventually melt away.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>42713072
Did that in basic. Right before a fucking run of course. My ankle swelled to the size of a fucking grapefruit and was pure black with purple edges. Looked like cancer or necrosis. Took like a week to heal. It didn't hurt after the first three days unless I angled my foot in a direction that wasn't parallel to the direction I was headed.
>>
>>42714575

Blacks
>>
Started running a few months ago. Shoes are starting to smell of accumulated sweat. How do you guys deal with it - handwash? Sun them?
>>
>>42715144
Baking soda.
>>
File: pot.jpg (64KB, 350x402px) Image search: [Google]
pot.jpg
64KB, 350x402px
>>42715144
>deodorant
>pic related
>make wet
>put in shoes
>leave overnight etc

Best if you have fragments of one you dropped and now can't use for shaving or as deodorant.
>>
File: 1501423475375.png (68KB, 183x184px)
1501423475375.png
68KB, 183x184px
>>42708407
>para-athlete and might be going to Tokyo in 2020
Noice
>>
>>42714943
Any breathing techniques I breathe through my nose and exhale through my mouth is this correct?
>>
>>42715144
I have a shoe/boot dryer. It's two plastic 'feet' that you put your shoes on, and it slowly blows warm air through them. Alternatively find an air vent and put your shoes upside down on it.
I let them sit overnight and they're dry and don't smell in the mornjng.
>>
>>42715539
Breathe however you want, just be in control.
>>
>>42667299
Should you weigh yourself before or after a run
>>
>>42681974
To give you a bit of motivation, in the span of one summer (3-4 months) i managed to go from 22 minutes to 18 for 5k. Now ofc we all progress at different rates but i like to think anythings possible in the world of running so long as youre persistent. My training at that time was real simple. I worked up to 8-10 miles, then did that 5 to 6 times a week that whole summer. Good luck to yah anon! I believe in you!
>>
>>42715642
Don't bother, just have a consistent (bi) weekly weigh in.
>>
>>42715539
nose in mouth out is what I do for pace-setting.

afterwards when it gets too demanding i just breathe normally.
>>
>>42714297
>Nike Odyssey Zoom 2
>google shoes
>girls shoes

are you a gril? anyways

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
Is running 1/3 mile, walking for 1/10 then repeating a good idea?
>>
>>42716007
shut the fuck up
>>
>>42715539
I find I can breathe faster/deeper when breathing exclusively through the mouth.
>>
>>42716007
this is one of the cringiest things I have seen on this board yet.
>>
>went running
>didn't stretch
>calf pain

TL;DR DO YOUR STRETCHES SENPAI
>>
>>42711042
I'd focus on increasing the number of days /w that you run to 5-6, then you can safely start upping mileage on some of the runs.

>knee
Depends on where you feel the pain.
>>
File: 1488026448734.png (934KB, 900x1040px)
1488026448734.png
934KB, 900x1040px
>>42717592
Around here
>>
>>42713209
What kind of headphones you got that work well for running?
>>
>>42715144
I wear my stinking shoes like a badge of honor
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.