[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of intermittent fasting? Calories in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Intermittent-Fasting-States[1].png (139KB, 1903x1422px) Image search: [Google]
Intermittent-Fasting-States[1].png
139KB, 1903x1422px
What's the point of intermittent fasting?

Calories in - Calories out. When I eat less than I consume, I lose weight. Does fasting help protecting muscle and using fat or am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong. It's been a week, eating around 1600-1700 kcals/day (TDEE is 2500) and I'm used to fasting already but just wondering the purpose behind fasting.
>>
Lots of people find it easier to stay within their "calories in" limit when they only allow themselves to eat for part of the day
>>
people have gotten shredded before any meme diets existed and i've yet to see clinical studies which suggest IF has any actual benefits in losing bodyfat, but i've had friends who have had success with it.

fasting is rooted in a lot of religious traditions and is considered a form of penance and self-control, so even if there is no genuine purpose to do it in losing weight, there might be other reasons to consider it.
>>
>>42652503
IF can help with weight loss by just being a mental tool for helping you maintain dicipline. But physiologically? No, doesn't help. Long term fasting is just straight up bad for you, kills your gains.
>>
As others have said, its just easier (for some). If it works for you, go for it. Its not magic though, calories are still going to be the king. There was an interesting study done and reviewed by Greg Nuckols' on his site, strength by science.

It basically showed no real difference in fat loss between an IF and non-IF group. However, there was improvement in most major health markers for the group doing IF. The biggest question was if it was due to the calorie or if there was real benefit so its up to some interpretation.

IN the end, if it works for you, go for it. If it doesn't, dont. Its not magic.
>>
>>42652466

It increases fat oxidation - you don't lose fat faster, but the amount you can burn per day before losing muscle is slightly higher, therefore allowing you to do higher deficit cuts. That also makes Recomping easier. I'm too lazy to post the ncbi articles, but it effectively increases fat oxidation by 30% over baseline. Alternative Day Fasting is even more effective by increasing it by 60% 24-hours post meal. Keto gives similar results. Also, some people find it easier to stick to since Insulin isn't constantly being spiked throughout the day.
>>
>>42652559
Trouble with alternative day fasting is that amino acid demand will cause muscular catabolism regardless of energy demand. Maybe only consuming protein supplements every other day would work though. An alternating version of protein sparing modified fast
>>
>>42652466
>What's the point of intermittent fasting?
Another way for fake natties to distract and make money
>>
>>42652613

Nutrient absorption occurs up to 36 hours post-meal so could be easily mitigated by doubling protein intake.
>>
>>42652498
>>42652521
>>42652503
>>42652549
This. If you've ever done it you'll know its much easier to stay cut when you can only eat on 4-8hour window. The hunger during the fast doesnt bother you and it starts to feel good
>>
>>42652691
It can take up to 36 hours but it is very front loaded, the vast majority is done within 12
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.