[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Scientists Can’t Agree on Whether It’s Unhealthy to Be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: lead_960.jpg (96KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
96KB, 960x640px
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/is-fat-bad/536652/?utm_source=feed

>Even when adjusting for smoking, age, and sex, overweight people—those with a body mass index of between 25 and 30—had a 6 percent lower risk of dying than normal-weight individuals.

Well, /fit/, do you feel foolish?
>>
>>42508510
Shut up, fatty.
>>
I don't really trust "health reports" from major newspaper or media outlet if it conflicts with what I've been reading from health-specific websites. All of their articles are usually lean towards justifying unhealthy lifestyles (like CNN telling people fasting is a dangerous fad diet that's simply too hard).
>6% lower
Even if true, that's not much. I'd rather be strong, sexy, and be able to appreciate myself in the mirror than have a 6% higher chance of "dying." (from what exactly?) I'm a 30 right now and I fucking hate myself.
>>
>>42508510
Probably because fat people stay inside and do nothing risky all day besides eat.
>>
maintenance medication has come a long way.
Get your insulin and you won't die 30years younger, just maybe 4 or 10years younger.
>>
The thing is the vast majority of overweight people are in a transitional state from normal to obese. No shit they aren't dying like obese people, the damage takes years to add up - by the point it does they're no longer just overweight. This is like pointing to smokers under 40 and saying the risks for smoking aren't clear because they aren't keeling over like the older smokers.
>>
>>42508510

In the immediately following paragraph:

> A “pile of rubbish” is what Walter Willett, a Harvard University professor of epidemiology and nutrition, deemed that paper. Willett has co-authored studies finding the opposite effect. He and Andrew Stokes, a demographer at Boston University, say Flegal’s work suffers from a problem they call “reverse causality.” They think that because she didn’t examine her subjects’ entire weight history, her study didn’t control for people who used to be overweight, but became normal-weight because they got sick before they died. They argue her study conflates normal-weight, healthy people with formerly overweight people who lost weight due to liver disease, cancer, or some other illness. Having those individuals in the pool of normal-weight people makes the normal-weight people seem sicker, and the overweight people seem healthier, than they actually are.
>>
>>42508510
Fuck that shit. When I was at a BMI of 30 I felt fucking awful. The emotional issues alone of being so unhappy with my appearance were enough to get me to finally start losing weight.

I'm now at a 25.8 BMI and working to get back down to a 22-23 range. I feel so much better and I look 5 years younger.
>>
>>42508510
>being overweight is healthy
>meanwhile every single HAES fag dies in their 40s
>>
BMI over-states the bodyfat of men and understates the bodyfat of women. Over-fatness in general helps extend the life of people with wasting diseases (aggressive cancers, chemo side effects, etc).
>>
>>42508510
Most people between 25 to 30 BMI aren't really that fat. I'm 25.8 and people call me skinny, outline of my ribs is visible at all times, etc. It's an arbitrary line - the practical difference between 24.9 and 25.1 is really nothing.

And maybe, just maybe, when we're talking about life and death issues - and obesity certainly is one, not to mention a growing public health crisis - we should use measurements more nuanced than a person's height and weight.
>>
>>42508744
TL:DR
Fatties lose weight on their deathbed and count towards "unhealthy thin people"
>>
>>42508744
Go figure a female tried to make healthy people seem like the worse off group.
>>
>>42508510
That's fat out wrong.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.