[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into martial arts to get in better shape, relieve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: putin1.jpg (64KB, 632x332px) Image search: [Google]
putin1.jpg
64KB, 632x332px
I want to get into martial arts to get in better shape, relieve stress, and become more skilled in self-defense. I am 29, physically strong but also fat. I'm going to sign up for classes in Kenpo Karate. Is anyone familiar with this? What should I expect starting out?
>>
1. /asp/ is a better place to ask about this

2. Kenpo Karate is a joke but if you like the old 80s/90s martial arts mystique it'll be fun. If they charge you by the belt then look elsewhere. Martial arts start up is super high. If you get good and work really hard you'll be able to defend yourself against drunks and pussies.

They'll train you to hit as many strikes as possible but the strikes are usually ineffective, especially against a moving target that fights back
>>
learn a legit grappling art like sambo, judo, bjj or wrestling

learn a legit striking art like boxing or muay thai (legit karate places do exist but they're few and far between so it's safer to just avoid it)
>>
>>42486719
It really depends on your goals, since you say you are strong and fat, I'd say kickboxing is a good striking option for you, and wrestling as grappling.
>>
Bjj, Muay Thai, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, judo

Pick one
>>
>>42486811
/asp/ MAG is dead, its been dead since the wrestling cancer was moved there.
>>
Brazilian Ju Jitsu + Muay Thai= god tier combo

Everything else is pleb tier
>>
>>42486811
This about Kenpo. It's not necessarily bad, but there are a lot of crummy places for Kenpo out there. Good point about being charged by the belt, too.
>>
File: hajimeno_ippo_001.jpg (264KB, 1490x841px) Image search: [Google]
hajimeno_ippo_001.jpg
264KB, 1490x841px
choose boxing and watch hajime no ippo

>t. 29 yr old who decided against eastern martial arts and recently picked up boxing
>>
File: 1442613289700.png (26KB, 397x262px) Image search: [Google]
1442613289700.png
26KB, 397x262px
>>42486719
>swallowed the BJJ meme pill and joined the best BJJ/grappling gym in my city 3 years ago after doing Hapkido all through my teens
>130 bucks a month for unlimited classes
>achieve blue belt and start chipping away at purple
>every purple belt I roll and drill with is super aggressive and is only interested in puffing up their egos even if I means hurting the other person rather than actually learning
>the 2 black belt instructors literally only do demonstrations on each other so I get zero fucking hands on instruction
>they probably do this because they don't want to risk some fuck head hurting them as well...
>randomly decide 4 months ago to go to the once a week Sambo session they offer.
>instructor is a 51 year old retired US army lieutenant that was stationed all around eastern Europe during the late 90s and early 00s
>"holy fucking shit this is awesome"
>3 bros and one 35ish year old chick are always there are actually super cool
>literally decide to stop going to the BJJ sessions and drop my membership to 2 sessions a week...
>decide to take the extra 70 bucks I saved and just do Taekwondo for fun 3 times a week as well as the sambo twice
>mfw I'll have to move to Russia to actually git gud at it though
>>
File: 1fe.png (59KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1fe.png
59KB, 658x662px
>tfw too stupid to remember all the techniques in grappling
>>
>>42486719
Muay Thai, Sambo, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Kyokushin Karate, Sanshou.
These are the only good ones to learn. A God Tier fighter would be excellent at both Boxing and Judo
>>
>>42489327
Talk more about your impressions on sambo
>>
>>42489327

Pretty sure this is bjj everywhere.

Bunch of tatted up huge ego faggots that are just there to fulfill their latent homososexual submissive fantasies.

Bjj average 150-200$/month here. I left that pos and do kyokushin for 50$/month with a bunch of bro tier guys.
>>
>>42489327
You could also supplement that Sambo with Judo. Clubs are forbidden from making a profit so their prices are usually pretty low
>>
>>42489436
Which one of these is the most cost effective? Could you rate them by average monthly feeds?
>>
>>42489619
*fees.
>>
>>42486719

>physically strong but also fat

This is what fat weak people say.
>>
>>42489619
It depends on your area what it's going to cost.
There's no reason you couldn't find a cheap Muay Thai or Boxing gym for sure. Judo isn't expensive since they're not allowed to make a profit off of running their schools.
Sambo shouldn't be too bad, but BJJ will easily be the most expensive.
>>
>>42489647
Why is it that BJJ is so fucking expensive?
>>
>>42488471
W... W... Why not pick two senpai
>BJJ and Muay Thai Master race
>>
>>42489677
The instructors often try to make their living off of teaching it alone, so it tends to be pretty costly.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.