[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been trying to diagnose my garbage squat form for a few weeks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1372558822138.gif (2MB, 324x244px) Image search: [Google]
1372558822138.gif
2MB, 324x244px
Been trying to diagnose my garbage squat form for a few weeks. I've been stretching hips and ankles, and am able to get reasonable depth in BW squats without much butt wink if I focus.

But as soon as I add the bar (or even a broomstick), my weight immediately shifts forward considerably and I basically completely collapse my upper back and chest. Getting low enough is almost impossible. I've gotten my squat up to a little over 1pl8 but am struggling to add more weight, often lose balance forward and do pseudo good mornings, etc.

I'm fairly sure I have excessive kyphosis on my t-spine and tight shoulders due to lifelong bad posture, I'm guessing that's the root of the problem. Can that be alleviated enough that I can squat well one day? What are good stretches for it?
>>
>>42452622
How tall are you, how tall are your legs, and how good is your ankle mobility?
>>
>>42452642
6'1 I think (maybe 6'2), about 42 inches if I measured it correctly, and I think so, can get my knees about 5 inches past my big toe.
>>
File: 1354554205157.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1354554205157.gif
499KB, 500x281px
bump
>>
>>42452722
If you're 6'1'', or 73 inches tall, and 42 inches of that are just your legs, than that means over 55% percent of your height is in your legs alone (Normal is around 45%). This is the case with most tall guys and it's the reason why they make such shit squatters, and why short men and asians make godlike squatters.

To squat, you must be able to keep the weight precisely over the complete center of your body. Any slight deviation will lead you to falling forwards or backwards and putting a much higher load on your back than normal. The problem with tall guys is that their legs are so long they HAVE to lean forward to get the weight over center foot. This is not something you can choose to change, you HAVE to lean forward as a tall guy because that's the only way you can get all that weight over your center. If you try to lean back more to get rid of the forward lean and back strain, you'll fall back due to the weight going behind you. Arnold was very tall and his height was mostly in his legs, this is why he had a shit squat (Which he also has said before) and can be commonly seen using wooden planks beneath his feet in many pictures. You might also see some really lanky guys doing good mornings and then getting shit on for it from time to time here, it's the same case with them. Tall guys make for shit squatters.

You have to realize that most guys are under 5'10'' and have normal proportions at that; you are not like them. Exercises change with different bodies, yet since most of the people who work out all fall in the same demographic, you'll find that you'll hear the same squat advice that doesn't seem to work for you. My advice,
>get elevated heel lifting shoes
>widen your stance greatly to alleviate for your leg length
>stick to low bar
>strengthen your core
>Try any assortment of the other leg exercises including the squat variations

Watch this guy's videos to get a better understanding of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
>>
>>42452875
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8&t=1s

Part 2 is more focused on leg length and forward lean/good mornings
>>
>>42452875
Thanks for the response! I had seen both videos, in fact you may have answered me in a different thread, I've been researching this for a while.

I've accepted that I have shit proportions for squatting and that bending over significantly is inevitable. The issue isn't so much that I have to bend over a lot, and more that I can't do so without collapsing my thoracic spine (as in my lumbar is relatively neutral but my t-spine flexes down, like my chest is closer to the floor than the angle of my lumbar necessitates, hopefully this makes sense), which shifts my weight forward of my center, putting it in the front of my feet. This happens regardless of the amount of weight, just putting the bar in position causes this to happen.

I did just get lifting shoes, my stance is already a bit wider than shoulder width I think, and I do low bar (though getting the bar low enough is already super uncomfortable; also, if I focus on hip drive, it makes the problem even worse). So I really feel like the issue is t-spine and shoulder mobility. Do you think I should focus more on core strength anyway? If so, what are some exercises?

Thanks again!
>>
File: 2394501774_c6f59e992d_o.jpg (62KB, 300x517px) Image search: [Google]
2394501774_c6f59e992d_o.jpg
62KB, 300x517px
bump.
>>
final bump
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.