[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is no reason to do squats/deadlifts if you aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 21

File: rippletits.jpg (200KB, 793x719px) Image search: [Google]
rippletits.jpg
200KB, 793x719px
There is no reason to do squats/deadlifts if you aren't a powerlifter.

>legs aren't very important to an aesthetic physique
>both of them destroy your back
>deadlifts are bad for hypertrophy
>can replace them with easier and less dangerous to do exercises
>>
if you don't do deadlifts or a derivative of them you are a big fool
>>
>>42447171
Literally everything you said is wrong.
Please stop spreading disinfo and doubt.
>>
>>42447171
ayo but stairs and slopes are a joke now you know what im sayin
>>
>>42447171

>t. chicken-legged weak fella
>>
Front squats + Rdls is all you need
>>
>>42447171
>There is no reason to do squats/deadlifts if you aren't a powerlifter.
Both increase core strength, specifically the strength of your posterior chain, which aids in every day situations that require lifting/picking up loads. The definition of practical.

Yes they are, aesthetics requires well rounded proportion.
Someone who just has a big chest, traps and lats looks ridiculous.

>both of them destroy your back
Not if you practice proper form and with weight that you can actually lift with that form.

Literally wrong, they are very good for building muscle mass, and require less volume to do so.

>can replace them with easier and less dangerous to do exercises
Exercises which are less efficient and require more of them just to engage as many muscle groups as squats and DLs do. All exercises are dangerous with improper form and too large a weight.
>>
>>42447171

No single lift is necessary providing you're actually putting in some effort.

That being said your points are wrong and you're a fucking retard who just wants to avoid doing something hard, or going for some low effort bait, either way.
>>
>>42447249
What I also don't believe; is that someone dislikes diddys.
They are probably one of the simplest lifts to do form-wise and are a massive confidence boost when you lift really heavy.

Squats I understand how someone can dislike, since there is debate over the minute details of different technique, people wreck their knees due to retarded form etc, but I just don't get how someone can rag on diddys, they're fun.
>>
>>42447171
Squats and deadlifts helped my back pain. without it i would be fucked.

Legs are important. Most females i know laugh at people with no legs and a big upper body.
>>
Squats and deadlifts increase your test faggot
>>
i do heavy dls 3-6 reps because i enjoy them

dont do heavy squats tho
>>
>>42447171
>>legs aren't very important to an aesthetic physique
yes they are but they don't need to be huge, but they definitely need to be toned
>>both of them destroy your back
only if you're a dyel retarded that can't do a simple exercise
>>deadlifts are bad for hypertrophy
not really, my traps and mid back got really bigger after i started deadlifting
>>can replace them with easier and less dangerous to do exercises
can be replaced but instead of doing deadlifts you can do maybe four different exercises, so you waste time because you're a pussy and can't do shit with good form
>>
>>42447216
>>Not if you practice proper form and with weight that you can actually lift with that form.
bullshit. Every single powerlifter busts his knees and/or back badly enough that he needs surgery at least once in their careers

Clarence0 destroyed both his knees at 22
>>
Is it true that squats make you shorter?
>>
>>42447333
maybe they just have short arms and deadlifts are hell for them, to me it's the most natural thing in the world but I have ape arms

>>42447342
you don't know any females

>>42447352
a temporary and very small increase that is completely irrelevant to building muscle

squats and deadlifts are good because they are big compound exercises that work a lot of muscle mass and lend themselves well to progressive overload not because muh test boost
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (348KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
348KB, 1920x1080px
>>42447216
Johnny candito, a dude with textbook perfect form, slipped his discs at 23

If you lift heavy : you're going to snap your shit
>>
>>42447171
You can replace squats with leg press
>>
>>42447352
No they dont, and increased test levels within normal range doesnt do shit for your strength or muscles
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/07/12/bjsports-2017-097792
>>
>>42447403
he broke his foot and squatted too early in his recovery
>>
>>42447403
if you're not competing chance for injury is very low
>>
Muscle growth is systemic. U need to work the biggest muscles for the small ones to grow.
+big test :)
>>
>>42447447
>muscle growth is systemic
>you need to work the biggest muscles for the small ones to grow

looking around any gym in the world and seeing all the curlbros with giant arms and no legs to speak of immediately proves you wrong
>>
>>42447171
>>legs aren't very important to an aesthetic physique
Maybe not massive tree trunks but no, wrong

>>both of them destroy your back
Not really at all

>>deadlifts are bad for hypertrophy
Lol

>>can replace them with easier and less dangerous to do exercises
Good luck ever looking big without pulling big weight in some fashion
>>
>>42447171
sports are a thing OP, just a reminder
>>
>>42447385
>Every single powerlifter busts his knees and/or back badly enough that he needs surgery

Well that's totally untrue.

>Clarence0 destroyed both his knees at 22
Clarence is a weightlifter, not a powerlifter, and guess what nigga he's back.

Also, most adults have at least one herniated disc and most disc issues solve themselves over time anyway, and that's especially true if you attempt the tiniest bit of prehab/rehab
>>
>>42447385
Powerlifters do whatever they can, including cheat on form, to lift as much weight as possible. That's not your conventional, casual lifter.

Squats and deadlifts can fix your back and relieve back pain. They don't destroy your back when you lift a weight appropriate for your strength and goals. I have lower lumbar scoliosis and work on a computer for my job and my back never felt better than when I started SS.
>>
>>42447408
Neck yourself, /pol/fag. Those are two completely different exercises and they're not interchangeable.
>>
>>42447183
What would be derivative of deadlights?
>>
>>42447500
sumo, trap bar, rack pulls (could be considered a DL deriative), RDL, SLDL, deficit deadlifts, deadlifts from boxes
>>
>>42447385
>Every single powerlifter busts his knees
If you go beyond just below parallel or ATG
>or back
That's if you're a powerlifter lifting REALLY heavy.
Most people won't be squatting beyond 4 plate.

>>42447403
He lifted a weight too heavy for him.

>>42447408
Leg press is worse for hypertrophy and actually MORE dangerous.
You've seen those legsnap webms.
Would you rather get your legs dislocated and totally fucked up or a minute chance of minor back problems?

>>42447500
Other forms that aren't the conventional exercise
e.g. romanian, stiff legged, sumo etc

In a way pendlays work some of the muscles of the lower back but obv a lot more arms and just have hammys in tension
>>
>>42447171
not everyone is doing a bodybuilding routine
>>
>>42447532
leg press is definitely not more dangerous than squats lad, don't delude yourself in this fashion

the same point you made with lifting a weight too heavy for you applies to the leg press as well - all those people who suffer heinous leg snap injuries are 1/8th ROMing a weight that is far far beyond what they should be using

many more people leg press than barbell squat in any normalfag gym in the country, and yet I don't know anyone who fucked themselves up IRL with a leg press yet know multiple people who have suffered at least minor squatting related injuries

the only credible argument for leg press being injurious is that some poorly built machines will almost force you into lumbar flexion at the very bottom of the range of motion, but this can be avoided by not going that low (stop before flexion) or doing single leg press
>>
File: 1501024960144.jpg (106KB, 624x767px) Image search: [Google]
1501024960144.jpg
106KB, 624x767px
>>42447171
More like no need to squat every fucking workout if you're not a girl looking for a big ass
I'd still do deadlifts but im not gonna fucking squat every workout
>>
>>42447408
pls stop posting on /fit/
>>
>>42447424
That's a study on elite athletes where they already do a fuckton. Your article states that the women with higher test do better at events.

You should really read the study before you post.
>>
>>42447408
>dominican
Yeah faggot please keep doing leg presses i'd love it if you snapped your legs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtTzXoX-Ag
>>
File: frank-zane-posing.jpg (37KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
frank-zane-posing.jpg
37KB, 600x407px
The most aesthetic bodybuilder in the world avoided squats and deadlifts because he thought it would ruin his physique

checkmate SS faggots
>>
>>42447637

>the only people who deadlift are SS fags who worship rippetoe

There's a fucking reason deadlifts are such a common and favored lift:

They're fucking great.
>>
>>42447668

Yeah they are fucking great for fucking up your back
>>
>>42447637
>roider gets away with roider bullshit

really makes me think
>>
>>42447673
t. too much of a child that he can't use proper form
>>
>>42447637
Well he's the yin to the SS yang
He's just chest and arms, SS is legs and butt
>>
>>42447403
>low bar
>good form

Pick one.
>>
>>42447171
>There is no reason to do squats/deadlifts if you aren't a powerlifter.
If you don't want to get big and strong, feel free to skip them.

Men pick up heavy things. Men bear heavy burdens on their backs.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>42447171
You can do pic related instead of squat
>>
>>42447927

>no core
>no stabilizers

it's for women and old people
>>
>>42447352
This post increased my test
>>
>>42447936
It works good
>>
>>42447171
daily reminder that Chad does whatever the fuck his footy coach tells him to, and that's a fuckload of squats
>>
>>42447960
>It works good
for women and old people
>>
>>42447171
There no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift
>t. Scooby1961
>>
>>42447961
this honestly. Some of the best physiques are found in SOME (american) football players, even though they don't aim for aesthetics.
>>
>>42447216
Kinobody does neither and looks proportionate, and I doubt he wishes he was stronger in every day life.

Saying you lift for functional strength is literal autism unlese you get paid money to do sports.
>>
>>42448069
I like doing squats and deadlifts because it is fun to move large amounts of weight.

Guess I'm autistic.
>>
>>42448069
not OP, but being able to lift for functional strength means being able to stay active for a longer period of time since as you get older, you lose muscle mass. You will end up a hunchbacked oompaloompa relatively early if you never developed the strength base to begin with. It serves to reason that the stronger you are, the longer you'll stay active. Look at james harrison still playing LB for the steelers at like 39 or 40 years old. (don't quote me on his age because I didn't look it up)
>>
>>42448069
>Saying you lift for functional strength is literal autism
This is a great exhibit in how a dweeb rationalizes not putting in any effort in the weight room
>>
>>42448120

That's funny because I stopped doing diddlies and squats cause they killed my energy and occasionally my back as I got closer to 30. Now I'm 31 and feeling better than ever.

>>42448122

Not doing useless (for health or looks) exercises doesn't mean I don't put effort, stop being retarded and argue an actual point.
>>
kek so many t-rex armed ss idiots in this thread, keep doing your autistic squats and ddls thinking you are better because you "lift for yourselves"
while I'm gonna pump my guns traps and neck, and get all the bitches attention
>>
>>42448163
Can't wait until you slip a disc trying to lift a bag of mulch and your wife leaves you for being a crippled bitch.
>>
>>42448163
lmao get the fuck outta here -- there is nothing that builds a healthy, strong and stable body like deadlifts and there is nothing that builds a thick strong physique like deadlifts

You are a brosplit bitch wannabe that is wasting his time
>>
>>42448163
I'm 30 and still doing them, just variability. I stick to lmao5plates, and to the contrary, my back issues actually we're ameliorated when I got back into diddling and squatting. It might just be a difference in anatomy. My point is though, that having a solid strength foundation is important for longevity, and nothing builds overall strength like the deadlift. the stronger you are at your peak, the more strength you're likely to retain as you decline since strength loss is proportionate, you will be ahead of the curve at any given time. This is of course assuming you stay injury free and take care of yourself.
>>
>>42448195
>pump my guns traps and neck
>doesn't do deadlift
Good luck with that. Maybe after a few years of 100lb dumbell shrugs you'll look like you've been lifting for a few weeks
>>
>>42448198

Last time I deadlifted I did 185 kgs for 4 while not training the lift, I doubt there is an everyday task that will cause me injury.

>>42448204

A proper routine does all that without the retarded risks.
>>
>>42448228
jelaous autist detected
keep destroying your back and knees because some fat redneck told you that lifting 600lbs off the floor is healthy

and btw I do my shrugs with a barbell, pretty heavy, and my traps are groing fine, I build the physique I want, not the physiqe that some autists talked me into

but the history will repeat itself soon and even the most strict autists will start doing bro split again, mark my words
>>
>>42447186
not him but they are both hard on your back

you literally squish your spine when doing heavy squats and compress the cartilage between discs
>>
>>42447637

how is that aesthetic? his lats are way too big, shits out of proportion , tiny undeveloped traps,
>>
File: 1494568890116.gif (3MB, 353x209px) Image search: [Google]
1494568890116.gif
3MB, 353x209px
>>42447171
It's OK if you don't want to do the core lifts because you are a weak faggot, just don't do them. but there is no need to try and convince yourself they are not important.
>>
>>42448280
>b-b-but muh functional strength
99% of pro body builders don't do that retarded shit, they all pump their guns using machines, and legpresses, but there is this stupid trend since couple of years and idiots destroy their health because a fat redneck told them to
better start saving money for your knee and disc replacement surgery faggots
if squats and ddl were so good or even slightly better than machines every pro BB would be doing them to get advantage over his competitors
>>
>>42448267
>>42448255
>too big a sissy to lift heavy
>b-b-but muh knees and muh back
>>
>>42448346
Pro Bodybuilders run enough gear to grow while sitting on their ass. Their training methodology is moot.
>>
>>42448346
>caring or following what chemistry experiment bodybuilders do
lmaoing at ur life bruh
>>
>>42448354
I'm just not retarded like all of you t-rex armed idiots with big legs and asses, you look like fucking triangles hahah

>>42448372
but like I said, if squats and ddls were better than machines, they would be using them to gain even the slightest advantage, but they don't because you can build any muscles without those retarded lifts
>muh stabiliation
I have a home gym, but if I had the access to machines I would never touch free weights, wasting energy for stabilizing the lift that could be used to destroy the muscle more on a machine by adding more weight
it's all about looks faggots, not about who lifts more or who looks more autistic in the gym trying to
>lift for muhself
>>
>>42447171

There are more sports than powerlifting the world you fucking retarded nigger.
>>
>>42448426
Being weak is nothing to be proud of.

My home gym is nothing but free weights, and that's all you need.
>>
>>42448442
Any respectable sport that requires strength trains essentially like a powerlifter, you retarded nigger.

t. american football
>>
>>42447183
>or a derivative of them

this is the big one. You absolutely do not have to do conventional deadlifts but you do need to do SOME sort of hip hinge like RDL
>>
>>42447171
Why do you assume that training for aesthetics is the sole and only reason to lift weights?
>>
>>42448460
>trains like a powerlifter

football players at all levels are way more worried about their hang clean/power clean than their deadlift
>>
>>42448477
>doesn't understand that building a strong deadlift is part of building a powerful clean
>>
File: 1499994318616.jpg (52KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1499994318616.jpg
52KB, 800x450px
>>42448426
>cares so much about what other people think he is willing to work hard to get their approval

its fine that you want to please others, thats your preference. But to tell other people how they should be living according to you is retarded. Do you also believe everyone should have the same hair style as you and dress the same as you?
>>
>>42447171
But OP, how do I prove to the world that I'm a MANLY MAN unless I do the most dangerous, inconvenient, and uncomfortable exercises possible?
>>
I lift to get better at picking shit up and moving it
>>42448346
Body builders use leg press because it allows them to get higher volume
>>
>>42448426
It's pretty clear you're a run of the mill gymrat, where do you get the confidence to talk like anything you have to say is worth listening to?
>>
>>42448507
>dangerous, inconvenient, and uncomfortable exercises
Picking up a heavy thing using a hip hinge is basic shit.
>>
>>42448507
by doing the easiest thing possible. which is nothing.
>>
>>42448426
>I would never touch free weights, wasting energy for stabilizing the lift that could be used to destroy the muscle more

You tipped your troll-hand here
>>
>>42448069
>unlese
>>
>>42448477
Sure but they all squat and bench. It's not a massive difference in training style.
>>
>>42448346
>bodybuilders would be doing something that increases strength over something that increases muscle mass to get a advantage over their bodybuilding competitors

are you literally retarded?
>>
File: 1471395442068.jpg (459KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471395442068.jpg
459KB, 1200x800px
>>42448468
what is the reason then other than doing some kind of sport at a high level?

it's all about looks, if the muscle didn't get bigger from working out nobody would be going to the gym,
inb4 muh health purposes
yea because everyone who didn't touch weights in his life dies at 50yo, yea right

>>42448505
>>42448511
>>42448516
kek, the butthurt is real, take care t-rexes, gotta pump my guns and neck now, somthing you faggots will never have and will always look DYEL in clothes crying that noone appreciates your quads, glutes or whatever
>>
>>42448507
>most dangerous, inconvenient, and uncomfortable exercises

Many lifters for many years have done them safely.

They require a bar, a floor, and a rack.

If picking something up is uncomfortable go to a physical therapist, if having a bar on your back is uncomfortable try doing it more than once.
>>
>>42448530
>concentrating 500 pounds into a cross-section of only a few inches placed across one of the most vulnerable parts of the human anatomy (i.e. your spine)
>lowerng your ass all the way to the floor many times while carrying this dangerous amount of mass in the most precarious way possible
>"safe"
edgy, insecure, typically dumb teenager detected
>>
>>42448477
that's more the current generation of coaches, they all jerkoff to cleans for some reason

lifting heavy is great for strenghtening all your connective tissue and all but the explosiveness of a football player has more to do with drilling using your body as a weapon for 2-3 hours a day for 4 months
>>
>>42447183
*small fool
>>
>>42448069
Saying you lift for looks is literal autism unless you get paid money to do competitions. Literally, there is no point in getting better at anything other than making money.
>>
>>42448581
>not taking advantage of modern technology and modern exercise science
LUDDITE
>>
>>42448582
Post physique
>>
>>42448576
the only thing you pump is a dildo in your ass faggot
>>
>>42448571
so you admit that there are better soultions to get big than those retarded lifts? kek that's all we needed to know, who gives a fuck about strength, it's all abut size especially for natties who just can't get too big

or maybe in jor job you have to lift 500lbs for hours huh? enjoy your fucked up spine
>>
>>42448163
>it happened to me so everyone must be the same as me!
Well, diddlys made me more energetic than ever, and right now, after a year or so of not deadlifting, I sleep 12 hours daily with no hope of reducing them below 10. In fact, thanks for being a massive faggot and reminding me how good heavy lifting has been making me feel.
>>
>>42448582
As someone that squats over 500 lbs and deadlifts over 600, you are pathetic.

Just because you're weak, don't try to convince everyone else to be.
>>
>>42448604
You first
>>
>>42448582
>strength training
>insecure compared to bodybuilding
>you should be training for looks, not strength which gives you very little to show
>insecure

boy, you really got that anon
>>
>>42447637
But Arnold did do squats and deads.
>>
>>42448610
>can't understand the big words I'm using
>resorts to base insults
dumb, dumb, dumb.
Enjoy your shattered spine
>>
>>42448607
its pretty retarded to get bodybuilding routines and strength training routines mixed up. Its also pretty retarded to think you can't get hurt doing anything. You can literally get hurt just from walking down your street and having some guy run you over because he/she wasn't paying attention to the road.
>>
>>42448426
>skips leg day
>aims for v taper
>calls others triangles

I see through your scheme, Jeff
>>
>>42448624
you avoid doing hard work in the weight room and fantasize that the people who do put in the work hurt themselves, get it together autist
>>
>>42448619
I'm an actual athlete in an actual competitive team sport, I don't have time to waste on stupid shit like 'aesthetics', I train for better athletic performance and think you 'aesthetics' guys are a bunch of mirror-preening faggots, what do you think of that?
>spending 20 hours a week in the gym just for 'looks'
Why not just go get liposuction then silicone implants all over your bodies instead? Works for women who want bigger tits.
>>
>>42448624
I'm going to guess your lifts based on your insecurity.

Ready?

>squat
225, ass to grass, of course

>bench
185, touch and go

>deadlift
315 with straps, cat back

>ohp
100 lbs, and you shat yourself

Bodyweight 145-160, because you like to tone without being too bulky.
>>
>>42448599
when you look better you feel better, period
noone would be wearing nice clothes, bitches wouldn't be spending money on make ups and plastic surgeries
>>
>>42448658
Are you stupid. I was telling anon the irony of his post you dumb shit. I am literally saying how insecure it is to say bodybuilding.... lol, forget it.
>>
>>42448660
LOL I don't do ANY of those because I'm not REQUIRED to. Are you involved in ANY real sport? Bodybuilding 'competitions' don't count, those are just faggy beauty contests for closeted homosexuals.
>>
>>42448687
Sean, get a life.
>>
>>42448675
Oh hey sorry about that! You're totally right of course about bodybuilders. Being an actual athlete and most of my buddies are athletes I can tell you that we've got our own insecurities but they're NOTHING in comparison to bodybuilders and how insecure they are; they're like little girls or something. The /fit/ variety is even worse because these losers can't even get a girlfriend and they actually think looking like a bodybuilder will fix that, LOL
>>
>>42448707
>he thinks 'having a life' is spending 40 hours a week in the gym
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 599x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 599x489px
>>42448687
>>
>>42448725
>he thinks 'having a life' is trolling 40 hours a week on 4chan
>>
>>42448746
for sure better than destroying your back and knees without any looks benefits
>>
>>42447365
Volume and technique based squats to supplement pulling is acceptable
>>
File: YOKE.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
YOKE.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
>>42448195
YOKE TRAINING
O
K
E

T
R
A
I
N
I
N
G
>>
File: 1491878485282.png (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1491878485282.png
10KB, 400x400px
>>42447171
you fucking wish, start squatting you pussy it's not that hard and doesn't take that much time
>>
>>42447637
look at his legs
they're thrice the size of yours

if he wasn't squatting he did at least something equally effective
but believe me, you are not
>>
>>42447199
> t. Nigger
>>
>>42447171

Lol.
>>
I'm on SL and I was starting to think legs weren't important up until I switched gyms and saw a couple tall dudes with pathetic legs.
Big legs probabbly won't impress normies but weak weak legs will fuck up your aesthetics
>>
>>42449469
yea from one extreme to another,
we can build legs doing extensions and curls for hamstrings, that's gonna be MORE than enough in terms of size
now good luck having big arms neck and traps with your autistic ss5x5fbwredneck workout
top kek
>>
>>42449670
only an overcompensating, insecure manlet would care as much about arms necks and traps as you
>>
>>42447500
I would personally say Trap Bar Deadlifts are the most superior lower body exercise.

They put much less stress on the back, even less than doing RDLs at a lighter weight.

They let you lift more weight

If you happen to be limited on time they are fine to be done by themselves since they work the quads more than conventional, but since you can use more weight due to the lower back not being as involved you actually get a pretty equivalent amount of glute/hamstring work done.

Also because of the parallel handles the bar is easier to hold onto and wont cause imbalances like using mixed grip.

To say the very least its a ridiculously underrated exercise.
>>
>>42447408
>You can replace potatoes with sugar
>You can replace chicken with whey
>You can replace peanut butter with coconut oil
>You can replace kale with a multi
>You can replace sex with masturbation
Why don't you go ahead and replace your oxygen with helium
>>
>>42449893
these are the most important muscles, most visible, deal with it you t-rex
why do you need big legs and ass for then? mr not overcompensating?
and I'm probably taller than you
>>
I do deadlifts because I like lifting heavy shit and if I follow form it won't destroy my back. Same for squats.

Also, mixed grip deadlifts are for fucking faggots. Double overhand for life.

Also, posterior chain you pusfuck.
>>
>>42450080
ask me how I know you can't pull anything worth mentioning and have been lifting for about a year
>>
>>42450080
>if I do it with proper form nothing's gonna habben
I love this meme xD
just because human body is capable of lifting 600lbs off the floor and squating 500 or so doesn't mean it's healthy you morons
are you gonna tell me that doing rackpulls +1000lbs is also not dangerous as long as it's with muh proper form?
where the fuck are you gonna use that much strength in real life situations you idiots?
but as long as you pay for your knee and disc replacement surgeries it's all good, just don't ask the goverment to pay for your stupidity
>>
>>42448321
post pics faggot
>>
You don't have to do them but they're still great exercises.

If you have a poor build for deadlifts you can just pull off of 2-6 inch blocks and get most of the benefits while reducing the injury risk.

Squats don't destroy your back unless you have super long femurs like Layne Norton. In that case you can just do front squats.
>>
>>42450198

Or you could do none of that shit, and look good and be healthy and not have to jump through hoops.

I know, crazy.

I've been observing fitness and in and out of gyms for years, I haven't seen a single well adjusted person with a real life outside of the gym and a respectable body at the same time do heavy deads or squats.

This guy is one of the few youtube natties, and doesn't dl or squat. I'd say he looks both healthy and aesthetic.
>>
>>42450312
god tier genetics and still looks like shit, he's just lean which has nothing to do with going to the gym and more to do with his lifestyle. Stop going to the gym if you want to look like that and get better parents.
>>
Can someone tell me once and for all if deadlifts and squats are really that bad for your back?

My numbers are starting to get respectable but I still want to be able to play with my kids one day.
>>
>>42447171
You need the glutes for the slootes, though.
>>
>>42450312
Again, I'm not saying you have to do squats and deadlifts. I'm just saying that they're great exercises and there's no reason to shit on them just because you don't want to do them.

I don't bench press. I just do overhead press, weighted dips, and flyes for upper body development. However, I'm not call the bench press a bad exercise just because I don't need them for my goals.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (174KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
174KB, 960x720px
>>42450335

t. someone who has been lifting an ENTIRE trimester
>>
>>42450351
if done properly>safe
if done improperly>worst thing you could do for your back
I recorded myself for a long time on every set before I finally stopped. I developed a feel for when my form is falling apart and when it's still proper. Don't do high reps and you should always be good to go.
>>
>>42450397
LUL what? if you think his body is impressive, then you need to lurk moar
>>
>>42450419
his body is amazing for a natural looking for aesthetics
>>
>>42450419
that body is objectively impressive

you have awfully high standards for a skinnyfat geek
>>
>>42450351
They're safe. They just get a bad reputation because stupid ego-lifters max out all the time with weights that are way too heavy for them. Keep most of your sets challenging but submaximal and you should be fine. Only max out 2-4 times a year if you don't compete.
>>
>>42448321
APOLOGIZE
>>
>>42448576
>sprinting
Do you do reverse hypers or hip thrusts? There are several lifts thay give way more glute activstion than squaats and deadlift.
Squat and deadlift are in the range of motion for jumping. Hipthrustand reverse hyper simulate more the contraction in your glute needed to drive your body forward with each step in the sprint
>>
>>42450419

t. I lifted for an entire trimester and been on fit for even longer (4 months!) so I know and can judge natty physiques
>>
>>42448576
Some people just enjoy lifting and want to get better at it. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I play piano. It doesn't make me more attractive to women or improve my social standing. However, I practice because I enjoy playing piano and want to become a better musician. Same goes for lifting for strength.
>>
I do them for a thicc back and forearms

I like having the whole gym watch when I pull 4 plates too hehe
>>
>>42450512

a) Playing piano doesn't ruin your joints
b) Most people get into fitness to look good and stay healthy, and get recommended squats and deads over and over as if it's the most efficient way to achieve those goals

Your autistic pursuits are orthogonal to their goals.
>>
>>42450555

>hehe gym looks at me when I pull baby weight
>>
>>42448494
Nah, weightlifters don't, or rarely deadlift
>>
>>42450568
Neither does heavy lifting as long as you don't ego lift like a moron. If you slowly build up to heavy weights and build a base with lots volume and submaximal training you can lift heavy and stay safe.
>>
>>42450794
Lift heavy and sub optimally occasionally maybe.
But you simply can't do it regularly and expect to stay 100% injury free always.
Most people who'll disagree with me are new lifters with not even a few weeks under their belt or lifters who've injured themselves but are so deep in the hole that they simply brush that off and claim it doesn't count.
>>
>>42450442
reverse hyper is the greatest machine ever made and its a fucking joke that most gyms don't have one
>>
>>42450080
I can't hold overhand grip past about 110kg
>>
>>42450848
>But you simply can't do it regularly and expect to stay 100% injury free always.
I'm personally not discounting that. My question is will heavy compounds absolutely leave you wrecked. If I have to one day deal with the occasional ache or pain then, for me, it would have all been worth it.
>>
>>42450442
>>42450906
Lay on bench, hold weight between ankles, lift weight. ??? Success.
>>
>>42450848
I've been lifting for 11 years. Lifting heavy doesn't mean maxing out regularly. I only max out once every 3 to 4 months. Other than that, I pretty much always leave a rep in the tank.
>>
>>42450914

That's more than their max obviously.

I have trouble with even 100 kg for reps, and I rep over 180 and close to 200 with straps.

Once again, autism from people who have lifted for a couple of months and think they know shit.
>>
>>42450438
noob here, what's the point of going for maxes besides ego lifting?
My bro is DYEL as fuck and goes for maxes (on different lifts) every other week and misses his next 2 workouts

He says is to tweak his workouts but to me it sounds like a waste
He says he's on SS btw
>>
>>42450928
Good for you.
Then don't fucking sit there and lie about the fact that consistent heavy lifting will lead to inevitable injury.
>>
>>42450967
>consistent heavy lifting will lead to inevitable injury
Not always.

You can lift above 85% 7 days per week if you have good form and keep your volume under control.
>>
File: 1452991535484.jpg (6KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1452991535484.jpg
6KB, 225x224px
>>42447171
>>
>>42450957
I think it comes for rippetoe advising to keep overhand grip for as long as posible to train grip strenght or something before switching to mixed grip if at all
I haven't read SS but a friend told me that
>>
>>42450914
Then you're fucking weak. I'm also weak, but I'm currently doing 120kg for 5 double overhand.
>>
>>42450967
You know you WILL die someday, right?
>>
>>42450983
Yes always.
It's not a question of if.
It's a question of when and how bad it will be.
>>
>>42451003
Yes.
I don't want to have a shit life because of an injury gained for stupid fucking reasons before I die however.
>>
>>42451017
When I'm 70 years old and strain my back I'll remember this day and come back to thank the internet faggot that tried to convince me not to be strong.
>>
File: 0bN5fKv.jpg (370KB, 873x796px) Image search: [Google]
0bN5fKv.jpg
370KB, 873x796px
Who the fuck gives a shit if some people here decide to live their prime years as a weak cuck. Yes, you might live longer than me and I might even injure myself badly, but atleast I'll be remembered as "that strong man" and you will probably be just another regular guy. Don't do squats and deadlifts, living dangerously is for men.
>>
>>42451031
There are a million lifters out there who've gotten an injury or two over the years. Know what they do? Recover and train around them. Even a herniated disc isn't the death sentence you seem to think it is, plenty of (probably most) world class lifters have blown a disc and come back to medal later on.
>>
>>42451061
This is bait.
>>
>>42451045
You're just going to be a fat faggot with blown out joints and a wrecked back at 50.
All because you squatted every day and chased that new PR high.

That's okay though. Because you made the fucking choice to do that. And you stuck with it.

But don't fucking lie to me to others or to yourself about the dangers involved. Because that leads to people being fucking stupid and egostistical. That leads to them approaching every lift as if it's 100% safe and that they can slack off and inevitably get a one way ticket to snap city. Or worse end up crippled like that poor dumb bastard from crossfit or even fucking dead.
>>
>>42450944
yeah that's really gonna replace doing 500lbs on the reverse hyper pendulum

this board is all fairyboys i swear man
>>
>>42451132
How weak are you to be so insecure?
>>
>>42451061
>>42451087
This is autism*
>>
>>42451132
>That leads to them approaching every lift as if it's 100% safe and that they can slack off

Nobody anywhere ever has said form was unimportant
>>
File: dominican 2.png (237KB, 514x531px) Image search: [Google]
dominican 2.png
237KB, 514x531px
>>42447408
>>
>>42451148
Yeah I'm weak as fuck.
I have the strength levels of a prepubscent anorexic tween girl.

Does that make you feel better about yourself?
>>
>>42451242
No, but it explains your whining.
>>
File: IMG_0345.jpg (160KB, 539x655px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0345.jpg
160KB, 539x655px
I only work with machines fuck that deadlift and squat Shit
>>
>>42451261
Chinlet opinions are not welcome.
>>
>>42450957
>>42450914
>>42450105

I pull 140 kg, double overhand, with nothing extra. No straps or anything. I've been working out for 4 months, so the third guy's right, but I haven't had any problems since the first month when I was still learning the form to begin with. I'm going for 3pl8 in about a week, and yes, I'm going to use double overhand even then too.

>>42450137
>real life situations
I love this meme. I said in that post I lift heavy shit because I like to, and because I want to see how far I can go. As for the rest of your post, I'm 21 and completely natty. Once I get to an age where lifting heavy could easily give me an injury, then yeah, sure, I'll stop. And it's true that lifting heavy doesn't give you any health benefits, but lifting heavy isn't all I do. Finally, you sound like an argumentative little prick who fell for the crossfit meme.
>>
How heavy is too heavy for squats? Just started lifting and I was able to get a 5x5 at 225lbs. Tried again three days later and was still way too sore.
>>
So I've been trying to reduce the amount squats I do and I've realized - since you can do fewer reps with more weight I can reduce the amount of squats I do provided I lift as much weight.

Squats:
0 reps - ∞lbs

Deadlifts:
0 resp - ∞lbs

What does /fit/ think of this routine?
>>
>>42450963
It's good to know your max if you use percentage based programming. More advanced programs often prescribe weights based on a percentage of your one rep max. For example, a program might prescribe 3 sets of 10 reps at 70% of your 1RM.

But you don't need to max more than a few times a year for that. Your friend just sounds like an ego lifter.
>>
>>42447171
I'm not even gonna read this thread, just going to point out that its a huge false dichotomy:

>if you're not a bodybuilder you're a powerlifter

Like fuck off, I want to be strong AND look decent. So I do squats and deads + isolations so fuck you.
>>
>>42451196
But if they honestly believe that every lift is 100% safe and don't walk up to a weight or the bar and treat it with respect then they'll soon be fucked.
>>
>>42451132
>and that they can slack off
Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>42447183
for you
>>
>>42447171
>take of pants
>half of your body looks like a fat man

>help friend with moving apartments
>lift heavy thing
>collapse
>>
>>42447403
That's not why he got injured though.
>>
>>42451207

hahahaha fucking dyel
>>
>>42447582
You do realise that the main muscle active in a deadlift is your gluteus right?
.....Right?
Plus, assuming you're squatting high-bar, it's mostly quad. Very little hammies, and way less glute than a deadlift.
>>
>>42451207
>>42450007
rekd & kekd
>>
>>42451281
you have been lifting for 4 months, you know absolutely nothing (yet are confident that you know everything there is to know about lifting) and you need to shut the fuck up and stop giving advice on the internet to other clueless newfags

you are everything that is wrong with /fit/, you are a poster child for the Dunning Kruger effect
>>
>>42447500
depends on the variable
>>
>>42451596

>being salty enough to where you put your lift in your name field

So what's your grip style on deadlifts and why do you lift so heavy then?
>>
>>42451680
Even if he did 575 with straps he's stronger than your poverty deadlift.
>>
>>42451707

Sure, but he obviously has been lifting longer than 4 months and didn't just walk into the gym one day and lift nearly 600 pounds of the ground, which according to that other anon isn't healthy, so why do it?
>>
>>42451725
He obviously has been lifting more than 4 months I don't think you read his post though.
>>
Keep in mind heavy is relative, not an absolute.

A guy whose max is 500 lbs will be safer while deadlifting 400 lbs than a guy whose max is 300 will be while deadlifting 275.
>>
>>42451756

I did, but neither you nor him have answered my question, and haven't really said much of anything at all besides saltposts.

>>42451758

I agree. Egolifting and disregarding form are what lead to injuries. If you don't try to go for numbers and instead lift only what you can reasonably lift, it's fine.
>>
>>42447171
Let us leave the elephant in the room alone, ok?
>>
>>42447738
wow, some people are actually just stuck-up retards
>>
>>42447171
Wow, you're a retarded.
>>
>>42452080
>You're a retarded
>a retarded
>>
>>42451207
I remember that CBT, lol.
>>
>>42451812
>I agree. Egolifting and disregarding form are what lead to injuries.

nobody fucking cares what you think or what your opinion is on this matter, you have been lifting for FOUR MONTHS

just stop posting you fucking pencil neck geek
>>
>There is no reason to do isolations if you aren't a bodyboduilder
>>
>>42451261
Nice filters
>>
>>42449670
And you know whats going to happen? One day you're going to be moving furniture and and you're going to try to lift a couch and you're going to throw out your back and tear your hip flexors because you only do isolation exercises and your main leg muscles have outgrown their supporting muscles. Remember this post during the months of physical therapy anon.
>>
>>42452191
I think you're the pencil necked geek here. I apologize if you're feeling frustrated over your progress lately.
>>
>>42451281
>4 months
Yeah when you actually start lifting heavy weights and your grip becomes the only limiting factor in your deadlift you will reconsider your plan.
>>
>>42451352
The math says you'll either get 0 gains or infinite gains, try it and report back.
>>
File: piettroinspo.jpg (322KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
piettroinspo.jpg
322KB, 1080x810px
Squat and deadlift, just not too heavy =)

Your joints are more important than the amt of weight you push/pull. Try not to fuck yourself.
>>
>>42447385
clarence also lifts more at 22 than almost the entire human population. he also admitted himself it was his own fault for pushing his knees after they were bugging him. nigga went and did a meet with hurt knees and had people inject them so they were numb.
>>
>>42447500

Rack pulls above the knee
>>
>>42451602
kek was waiting for someone to say this shit
>>
>>42453478
Those are good for upper back and traps but you miss on the posterior chain benefits. Rack pulls below the knee would be a better deadlift substitute.

If you do choose rack pulls above the knee then you should add in romanian/stiff leg deadlifts so you still hit your posterior chain.
>>
Even machine focused BBrs and serious gymrats get injured all the time. Injuries happen if you go too hard and don't listen to your body.
>>
>make more gains lifting for da PAHMP than 2 years of SS
>>
>>42447927
that's a silly car, the wheels aren't even touching the ground.
>>
File: 1390266340691.jpg (55KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1390266340691.jpg
55KB, 500x375px
>>42456343
>0/10
>>
File: 1384742985426.jpg (36KB, 476x518px) Image search: [Google]
1384742985426.jpg
36KB, 476x518px
>>42447171
I do Zercher squats and Good Mornings. Come at me christfags
>>
I wouldnt lift it werent from those two lifts. Standing around doing fucking lateral raises, curls, flyes, and shit like that is dead boring. Moving some heavy ass weight with your whole body is way more fun.
>>
>>42455383
I'm new here. What do PAHMP and SS mean?
>>
>>42448321
when you spread your lats (like Zane is), your lats look bigger and traps look smaller.
>>
>>42456493
He means pump. Ss means super sayian
>>
Deadlifts keep me alive.
>>
>>42456533
Thanks!!
>>
>>42456555
The super saiyan part was a troll. Here SS refers Starting Strength, a popular lifting program/book written by Mark Rippetoe.
>>
>>42456572
This is why I don't ask questions around here. lol
>>
>>42450080
>if I follow form it won't destroy my back.
That's really not true though. If you lift heavy for long enough, you'll injure yourself
>>
>>42456584
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84cVizR6sPQ

chase the pump and you'll blow up with gains
do memelifts by mark rippletits and you'll literally look the same in 1 year
>>
>>42456608
How do people unironically watch this video and feel inspired?
>"as satisfying as cuming"
>proceeds to talk more about cumming
>on tv
I get the feeling good about the pump part but do people not see how stupid that sounds?
>>
>>42456608
Stop equating strength training with Rippletits. Starting Strength is garbage but that doesn't mean all strength training is.

Training for strength doesn't mean never doing any volume or isolation work. Looks at some of Sheiko's programs. His programs are high volume even by bodybuilding standards. Also, look at Chinese weight lifters. Most of them do a bunch of bodybuilding accessory work in addition to their heavy weight lifting and look aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>42456647
Cumming is better desu
>>
>>42456665
>Stop equating strength training with Rippletits
But he didn't say that at all you stupid nigger
>>
>>42451510
>You do realise that the main muscle active in a deadlift is your gluteus right?
vast majority of people are not activating their glutes
>>
>>42456676
Meh, not really.
A good workout can last for 4 hours and leave me tired happy and ready to take a good long nap.

A good fuck can last for 20 overly conscious super slow and careful minutes if she's a cuntlet or an hour if she's got a bit more room to work with and will leave me wired tired and wondering why she doesn't wake her ass up and get out.
>>
>>42452363
his legs look terrible in comparison to his upper body
>>
>>42456934
Only other guys who browse /fit/ would even say or think of things when they look at another guy
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.