[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>TFW you realize both starting strength (meme program) and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: 1501901834950.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1501901834950.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>TFW you realize both starting strength (meme program) and stronglifts(meme program) are bad because they have far too little bench press volume/frequency

What retard's idea was it to bench ONCE per week, yet SQUAT 3 times per week?
>>
>>42416533
Brosplit is where it's at, 2 days a week for all muscles, decent rest time of 2 days between the days on the same musclegroups, a rest day to prevent overtraining.
>>
>>42416554
Yeah but what if you're natty?
>>
>>42416533
are you retarded?
Just add chest isolation to OHP day, curls on the day youre not doing chins, and atta 4th set of 8 reps to all upper body lifts and the programs are really good for aesthetics.

God damn noobs with no programming experience.
>>
>>42416646
>just completely change the program

protip: if you have to modify the program so drastically even when the creator repeats to not modify it, it's not a good program.
>>
>>42416654
Adding two accessory exercises is not completely changing the program, you fucking retard
>>
>>42416687
You're a retard, the point is that the program isn't even good for strength because of how infrequently you bench press. So you'll pretty much get a squat over 300lbs yet a bench barely scratching 200
>>
>>42416619
Then you brosplit... And eat enough food. If you're fat, you brosplit... and eat healthier, but slight deficit till you lose weight enough to start clean bulking.

My brother got aesthetic, and he's got a fucked throat/head so he can't eat any more right now, can't get any bigger. If he could do it, even though I'm quite a lot taller, I sure as fuck can too.

You won't end up looking like those 5% bodyfat complete full package every inch of body worked perfectly guys you get on google, but you CAN end up looking pretty fucking good either way.
>>
>>42416730
"brosplits" are useless
>>
>>42416715
Its good for strength because you do OHP as much as bench press. There are lots of powerlifters out there who can bench nearly 400. yet struggle with a 135 OHP.
Would you say that guy is strong or jsut good at the bench press? Jim wendler and dave tate talked alot about this issue.

Bench press isnt a good strength exercise. Its good for helping other strength exercises.
>>
>>42416737
... Okay, let's call it something else. Let's call it "work back and biceps two days a week for over 1 hour and 15 minutes, work chest and triceps two days a week for over 1 hour and 15 minutes, work legs, core and shoulders for two days a week for over 1 and a half hours, all the while eating above deficit and not eating garbage food, while getting enough protein"

That's what I do, and it works pretty fucking well as long as I stay consistent.
>>
>>42416766
>Bench press isnt a good strength exercise. Its good for helping other strength exercises.

wat. Bench press 1/3rd of powerlifting, and responses extremely well to volume and frequency. Overhead press on the otherhand isn't even a lift you should be training.
>>
>>42416533
>how come larger muscle groups can be worked more often than smaller muscle groups
>>
>>42416802
>the bench press uses small muscle groups
>>
>>42416533
>What retard's idea was it to bench ONCE per week, yet SQUAT 3 times per week?
This isn't SS though (you moron)
>>
You are only supposed to do them for like 6 months. Then once you have a good base of strength you switch to whatever shitty intermediate program you feel like doing.
>>
>>42416828
It is though.
>>
>>42416824
>smaller
>small
>>
>>42416858
Then where's the logic behind overhead pressing as much as bench pressing, according to your logic? Doesn't the overhead press use even smaller muscles so it should be done LESS than bench?
>>
>>42416828
Whoa you still post here?
>>
>>42416797
yeah bench ress is 1/3rd of powerlifting. But that doesnt make it the best strength exercise.
That makes it a competitive lift, those 2 are can be completely different.

>and responses extremely well to volume and frequency
Any exercise responds extremely well to volume and frequency, except deadlifts.

And you still have the issue were powerlifters are really good at the bench press, yet struggles with a 135lbs OHP. Then when they increase their OHP their bench numbers go up.
>>
>>42416956
>And you still have the issue were powerlifters are really good at the bench press, yet struggles with a 135lbs OHP

No one with a strong bench press struggles with a 135lb ohp.
>>
>>42416915
Yeah I've been in plg for the last five years and saw no reason to leave

>>42416844
You bench 1.5 times a week and press 1.5 times a week. You can easily make that 2:1 if you're not stoopid.
>>
>>42416871
The reason why you bench as much as you OHP is due to the fact that you dont want to create an imbalance. If you a horizontal press more then you do a vertical press you start to get imbalances, which can cause injuries and shoulder issues.

The same way you should do as much or more back work than horizontal pressing.
If you increase the frequency o the bench then you have to increase the frequency on everything else around the shoulders and back.
Sure you can do more bench press for a small amount of time, but when you do training blocks like that youre not a beginner.
>>
>>42416989
>The same way you should do as much or more back work than horizontal pressing.

You should not do "as much", let alone MORE back work. You should do just enough to not have fucked up shoulders
>>
>>42416871
Nope, the properly executed press works all the core muscles far more effectively than bench, and uses pecs maybe more than bench does delts.
>>
>>42416964
Except Jim Wendler who struggled with it untill he made OHP a priority in his program. And there are more stories out there with the same scenario
>>
>>42417046
You mean the "rippetoe press" where he swings his entire body?
>>
>>42417006
Are you for real? The bench press only use 3 muscle groups. The number and volume of those muscle groups are way less than those of the back. You need more variety and more volume to train the muscle of the back to the same extent.

Do you even lift?
>>
>>42417006
Chest is a fucking meme
>>
>>42417089
Do you? I realize i'm talking to someone who benches sub-2.5plate but come on it doesn't take much logic to realize this.
>>
>>42416766
>there who can bench nearly 400. yet struggle with a 135 OHP.
Doubt
>>
OP if you want big tits I suggest you become a qt trap
>>
>>42416871

No, the press hits the traps more which are relatively small but they are a part of the same group of muscles as the bench
>>
>>42416737
for strength maybe, still better than ppl for strength. for hypertrophy they are ideal sorry pal
>>
People like OP remind me of how fucking retarded alot of /fit/ is. These are the people offering you fitness advice here.
>>
Heres how you bench and ohp twice a week

Day 1
Flat bench heavy
Db ohp volume

Day 4
Ohp heavy
Db bench volume

It's not fucking hard

I even throw in close grip bench on both those days

And guess what

On days 3 + 6 I do even more volume for side/rear felts

SS and SL are possibly the stupidest things you cold do starting out. Calling them retarded is an understatement. The worst thing is that everyone says this but you still get dyel idiots shouting about how good it is.
>>
>>42417289
Actually the retards are the rippetoedrones or even worse the shitsplit advocates
>>
>>42416533
kek people who hate on these programs - how long do you think you're supposed to stay on them?
>>
>>42417311
>a well known and published strength training coach who has been considered an authority on the topic for longer than youve been alive or some faggot on the internet
Enjoy taking 18 months for 4 pl8 deads and 2 pl8 bench
>>
>>42417402
>rippetoe
>well known for anything besides being a fucking retard who's NEVER trained anyone that has done well in powerlifting
>>
File: frog-cover.jpg (27KB, 320x247px) Image search: [Google]
frog-cover.jpg
27KB, 320x247px
Fuckin idiots
Why u dont even read that fucking book?

Theres 100+ pages on accessories alone
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.