[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody please explain something for me I can't find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: 1500981788086.jpg (186KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500981788086.jpg
186KB, 960x960px
Can somebody please explain something for me I can't find the answer elsewhere (not even sticky).

Why is it that people say you have to stick to eating over or under your TDEE EVERY DAY if you want to gain or lose weight.

For example if lets say my TDEE is 2500 cals. Why can't I do a generic strength program or Phraks Greyskull or w/e HARD 2 times a week, on training days and the day after eat fuckloads, large calorie surplus, and then on other days eat at/under maintenance and still make (lean) gains?

Also, why is it recommended that you immediately need shit like protein shakes after a workout if muscle building is generally such a slow and gradual process.
>>
>>42357381
>For example if lets say my TDEE is 2500 cals. Why can't I do a generic strength program or Phraks Greyskull or w/e HARD 2 times a week, on training days and the day after eat fuckloads, large calorie surplus, and then on other days eat at/under maintenance and still make (lean) gains?
You can. Just maintain a sufficiently large weekly deficit.

>>42357381
>Also, why is it recommended that you immediately need shit like protein shakes after a workout if muscle building is generally such a slow and gradual process.
Because that's when your muscles actually need resources to repair the damage caused by training - to strengthen themselves against the next time.
>>
File: Screenshot_168.jpg (65KB, 803x169px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_168.jpg
65KB, 803x169px
>>42357381
>why is it recommended that you immediately need shit like protein shakes after a workout
Stimulation signalling.

It's also possible gaining muscle on a deficit. The research on this cutting vs. bulking thing seems nonexistent, but there are studies with gains on very minimal diets.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3411406/
>>
Shakes are a meme, you have to be elite pro athlete level to be needed, and even then you really don't need them, you can easily get all your shit from eating food, real food, just spread up your meals through out the day and you get more than enoguh from there
>>
>>42357381
>>42357580

Thanks to both, will investigate. I worked pretty hard to lose about 20kg, I am also definitely more muscular (albeit barely) than I was so I was kind of wondering why everyone is insisting I now have to take in 4000 cals a day to make any kind of meaningful gains.

I think it can be done lean, but probably more slow.
>>
File: Screenshot_172.jpg (356KB, 669x491px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_172.jpg
356KB, 669x491px
>>42357580
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10838463
>>
File: 1479855489743.gif (3MB, 414x382px) Image search: [Google]
1479855489743.gif
3MB, 414x382px
>phraks greyskull
>strength program
>>
>>42357381
most people lack discipline. keeping the routine constant makes it less likely that you will slip up and go over/under your goal calories.
>>
>>42357730
Sorry I don't know whatever XL Super McZoogle 9000 program all the cool kids do these day, but you should probably quietly stick with it. then kill yourself.

>>42357736
That is fair enough. I kind of feel the opposite. Days when I train I want to eat like a horse, much easier to eat under tdee when I've not done much all day.
>>
File: ivnnv.jpg (23KB, 306x454px) Image search: [Google]
ivnnv.jpg
23KB, 306x454px
>>42357730
>drumpf
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1499666273741.png (361KB, 1267x779px) Image search: [Google]
1499666273741.png
361KB, 1267x779px
pic related to everything im about to say

>calorie intake reduces serum cortisol levels (think of cortisol as the catabolic hormone and what makes working out after a certain point eg 1.5 hours rather fruitless in regards to work for reward)
>48 hour rough period of recovery for muscles although that doesnt mean you cant train opposite muscles each day to alternate the recovery period also as a beginner you can likely do a lift every day and be fine for a while although DOMs might be uncomfortable
>think about weekly calorie intake as opposed to daily,
>post workout meals are important and current science suggests OPTIMALLY that the anabolic window does kind of exist and consuming a skim milk protein shake directly after a workout is optimal, supplementation of BCAAs, EAAs also increases the rate of MPS if consumed directly after a workout (although it is debateable whether straight l-leucine, BCAA or EAA suppplementation is better for this as they share receptors)
>500kcal surplus per day is optimal considering average rates of MPS, spacing these meals is also important considering protein CAN be wasted as excess of any macro is metabolized to fat if it cannot be directly used (latest studies suggest 20g-40g of protein every 3 hours to maximize this although this is dependent on the age of the athlete and is about a 20% increase in MPS from 20g to 40g

overall you can experience re-composition (losing bf and building muscle by maintaining weight) but it is far more optimal for building lean mass to eat surplus calories and optimal protein
>>
>>42357381
>Why can't I do a generic strength program or Phraks Greyskull or w/e HARD 2 times a week
.. Because muscle growth signalling lasts 24hrs., and lifting for that window is key.
>>
>>42357940
Being weak is for l*berals

>>42357834
>Just let me do my Reddit meme routine and kys!!!! Ha! I said it again, mom!
>>
>>42357949
What's MPS?
>>
>>42359607
Muscle protein synthesis
>>
File: 1500376514673.jpg (26KB, 449x667px) Image search: [Google]
1500376514673.jpg
26KB, 449x667px
>>42357940
>implying being /fit/ won't help MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>42359684
big thank
>>
>>42357949
https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.