[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain the foam roller meme to me? i've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Hip_Flexors.jpg (51KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Hip_Flexors.jpg
51KB, 620x349px
can someone explain the foam roller meme to me? i've been lifting for a while and never used one of those things. what's the point? am i losing something if i don't learn to roll around on the floor?
>>
>>42302759
might be placebo as I have not looked into any studies, but It helps with recovery and tightness for the next day if you do after lifting. Course maybe basic stretching works just as well.
>>
>>42302759
So long as you do the dinosaur,
along with everybody else,
you're fine.
>>
It's basically just a different way to do stretching. That's literally it.
>>
>>42302759
>>42302774
It's not a meme but you don't really need it unless you run or bike, although it is beneficial. Constant use of any muscle causes tightness due to a build up of damage to the sheath of your muscles which can result in join pain. Using a foam roller or getting a massage causes the sheath to become more limber.
>>
>>42302790
I can't even see how it does that. This myofibral "release" shit sounds like horseshit. You're supposedly just stretching the fascia, not the muscle fibers. One, I don't see how this actually stretches the fascia, as I just feel it in my skin. Two, why would stretching the fascia be good at all, as opposed to directly stretching the muscle?

tl;dr, have yet to find a reasonable explanation
>>
>>42302759
i use it to crack my back feels good goyim
>>
>>42302812
Dunno man, that's just what I thought it was. I've found it helps in the same way that massage helps muscle pain but your experiences may vary.
>>
>>42302759
increasing mobility is proven
>>42302774
"We concluded that consistent foam rolling produced increases in hip extension during a dynamic lunge, but these effects are not seen within the first exposure. Foam rolling received positive reception and perceived improvements in hip extension. The findings indicate that repeated foam rolling is beneficial, both objectively and subjectively, for increasing range of motion immediately preceding a dynamic activity."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25734777

It is different than static stretching.
Think of a deep tissue massage. the term is called myofascial release.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_release
wiki has American Cancer society saying they haven't seen proof that it relieves pain or restores flexibility. but if you search foam rolling on pubmed there are tons of studies that say foam rolling increases mobility (may not relieve pain). These types of medical societies don't change their position until there is like 20 years of studies and a bunch of retirements for them to accept something new.
anecdotally i believe it releases tightness in muscles, its like a mildly painful massage, once you're finished rolling, feels comfy
>>
>>42302812
Because stretching normally won't stretch your fascia, and doing cardio can cause them to contract and seize up. Using a foam roller presses the fascia between your muscle and the foam like a rolling pin.
>>
>>42302841
1. Why do I want to stretch my fascia?
2. Would getting a "pump" stretch my fascia?
3. What proof is there that rubbing on a foam log will stretch fascia, not merely the skin layer?
>>
>>42302864
>rubbing on a foam log
its called roller, not rubber

but just don't do it faggot who gives a shit.
if many high level athletes do something and you're not convinced because there is not the perfect research article for you, don't do it
>>
>>42302875
Many high level athletes wear KT tape.

Have you tried reading the OP?
>can someone explain foam rolling?
>no, but it for real works, but if you don't like it, don't do it, lol
>>
File: 1495542344896.jpg (43KB, 768x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495542344896.jpg
43KB, 768x720px
>>42302828
so it just stretches the fascist part of my muscles? can't i just read Julius Evola instead?
>>
>>42302951
>Julius Evola
mind gains are important too
>>
>>42302864
>1. Why do I want to stretch my fascia?
Doing cardio can cause them to contract and seize up, and they'll stay that way until you fix them. That said the goal is more or less to crush sized lumps more than it is to stretch them
>Would getting a "pump" stretch my fascia?
Maybe a tiny bit but the workout is going to cause more tightness than it will release via a pump.
>What proof is there that rubbing on a foam log will stretch fascia, not merely the skin layer?
Take a lump of dough, a rolling pin and a layer of paper. If you put the dough under the paper and run the rolling pin over it as hard as you can. Obviously the dough will be flattened because the paper is going to deform to the shape of the pin very well. Your skin won't be stretched you're not stretching the fascia, you're rolling it out. You should feel a dull but intense pain in the muscle you're rolling and no stretching whatsoever
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.