[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me a reason why I shouldn't switch most of my lifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: hexs.jpg (130KB, 1500x896px) Image search: [Google]
hexs.jpg
130KB, 1500x896px
Give me a reason why I shouldn't switch most of my lifts to dumbbell variations.

I started doing dumbbell bench press and it not only feels a lot better for my shoulders but I feel like the increased range of motion and additional use of stabilizer muscles will benefit me in the long run. As well I've never gotten well with barbell over head presses and yet with dumbbells it just feels a lot better for me.

Explain to me why I shouldn't use dumbbells without idiotic arguments such as "But that's not what rippetoe said you should do!" or "But that's not powerlifting!"(I do not intend in ever competing in powerlifting).
>>
after a while setting up for exercises becomes a chore, I db press 44kg dbs and getting into position is a pain

also specifically for bench press I find bb bench hits your front delts way more than db bench. that may be a positive or negative for you depending on the rest of your training
>>
>>42260942
Why are you not using dumbells already you dumb monkey? Enjoy your lop sided gains because one arm is stronger than the other
>>
>>42260964
I am no where close to being that strong though. Maybe in 5 years.
>>
>>42261007
i personally always db benched more than i bb benched because i feel it felt better, didn't need to wait for a bench rack, didn't need a spotter etc. only downside is is that bench press is the 'standard' or strength so if you ever want to compare with your gym bros etc bb bench is a better measure, otherwise i say go for it
>>
>>42261034
i don't really want to compete with anyone, it's pointless because most people don't actually do full ROM bench press that I've seen anyway
>>
>>42261057
i'm just telling you the downside, as you start to look like you go to the gym people will ask how much you bench, "I only do dbs" can hamper some social gains

not much of a downside imo though, hence i mostly do db myself or weighted dips (dat autist workout)
>>
>>42261076
To counter this I guess you could test your barbell bench max every two months and then add 25% to it like everyone does.
>>
>>42261088
haha, adding your dbs together and adding 20kg ('the bar') is also a decent approximation
>>
I've been lifting for a little over a year now. My lifts still suck, but recently I've been having great success doing both barbell and dumbbell variations in the same workout.
>>
>>42261112
I heard it's dumbbells + 30lbs or so, so if you bench 50lb dumbbells you can bench around 130-135lbs
>>
>>42261129
this is pretty good, i especially find bb ohp followed by db bench later in the workout, and bb bench followed by db ohp later in the workout works better than db -> db or bb -> bb
>>
>>42261154
pls muh ego :(
>>
>>42261154
This seems pretty accurate
>>
>>42260942
In reality, there should be a place for both barbell and dumbbell exercises in your routine but here's some pros to barbell training since you asked specifically for barbell advantages.
>Progression is easier aka 2.5lb increments
>Easier to use when the weight gets heavy
>More practical for home gym owners

That's it really. I'm assuming your goal is not pure strength based or else you would be a retard for using db over the bar because it allows you to go heavier and build strength faster. In my personal experience I've never seen someone who was absolutely fucking jacked in the gym who was only doing sub 100lb dumbbell lifts.
>>
>>42261154
Maybe after you get used to DBs. I just started doing db press and I'm amazed how much weaker I am using DBs. I do 5x5x175 for BB bench but struggle with 3x10x35 incline db press.
>>
>>42262160
I can bench 80s for reps, but can only really bench 165 on the barbell maybe 6 times. So the +30 seems off, at least for me.
>>
File: 5443453454555.jpg (29KB, 399x582px) Image search: [Google]
5443453454555.jpg
29KB, 399x582px
>>42262305
And this is why you all should be doing both.
>>
>>42262160
That's very very odd unless you have terrible form on bb bench.

I barbell bench press 35lbs less than you and yet incline db bench 45's.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.