[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get some lifting straps or will I fuck my grip up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6263.jpg (37KB, 555x444px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6263.jpg
37KB, 555x444px
Should I get some lifting straps or will I fuck my grip up?

I started to do deadlifts a month ago (110kg working set) so is it too early to get lifting straps?

I'm afraid of getting muscle imbalances by using mixed grip and if I alternate it feels very weird.
>>
why not just use normal grip and dont use straps, you havent mentioned any problems?
>>
>>42259980
You mean overhand grip? I can't hold the weight for more than one set with 110kg.
>>
>>42260220
is chalk an option where you life? Someones about to recommend hook grip but i havent really gotten the hang of it yet and cant comment
>>
>>42259810
DL is a full body exercise so get the straps. Make sure to train your grip, though. A lot of people claim that you should be able to lift X lbs before using straps but fuck them. The rest of your body shouldn't suffer and lag because you have a weak grip.
>>
>>42260235
Hook grip is simple anon, but is far better with chalk.
Grab the bar with thumb and and index finger, tuck your thumb under and place your index and middle finger on either side of the last knuckle of the thumb.

Practise it now by placing your last joint of the middle and index finger over your thumb joint, if you have shorter fingers it'll require good thumb flexibility to do it with a 29 mm thick bar, but it'll massively improve your grip and especially in conjunction with chalk.
>>
>>42260220
Buy some grip trainers. COC to be specific.
>>
Even with straps your grip strength will be fine, I have a bar with really light knurling and no chalk when I train at home so I just use straps but I didn't have any issues running hook grip and chalk at the same weight when I worked out with a friend one day.

I'm only pulling lmao5pl8 though so maybe it gets harder
>>
>>42260220
Work your grip, m8. With every lift you do, hold the bar as tight as you can. Do heavy shrugs, farmer walks, wrist curls, rack pull holds without straps, heavy weighted chins. I do all these (except for rack pulls) and can hold 335 fairly easily without chalk
>>
>>42263549
335 freedom units I mean, or about 150kg. Can definitely hold more, just have a shitty deadlift
>>
>>42260220
Rack pulls homie. Rack pulls and fat grip pullups. Grip problems = none
>>
Grip training is good, but learning the hook grip is an advantage as it'll translate to cleans and other plyometric lifts.
>>
You could try using chalk if you haven't tried that yet, if your gym is one of those places that doesn't allow chalk you could buy liquid chalk from amazon since it doesn't make a mess.

As someone else said, using the hook grip (thumb inside your grip with the middle fingerpad on your thumbnail for friction) could also help.

Try holding the bar low in your hands, almost in your fingers rather than high up in the hands, as it will rest there anyway, if the bar is slipping down when it's high up it will feel weird and give you bigger calluses than necessary.
>>
>>42259810
Agree that hook grip is great. I've pulled all my recent PRs with it. But get some chalk -- even hook grip feels bad when your hands are sweaty.
>>
>>42260235
>>42262719
Can confirm hook grip is great. Took me a while to get used to it, but once you stop feeling your thumb it becomes so easy. I still use regular grip for rows and RDLs as it activates forearms more, but use hook for deadlifts and oly lifts
>>
Doesn't hook grip really hurt?
>>
>>42264126
Only for a few weeks. Most people get used to it after two weeks, you just have to stretch your thumb a bit.
>>
>>42264126
Should feel slightly odd and uncomfortable at first but not sore or painful as that likely means you're doing it wrong.

For the sakenof all that is holy, don't do what the other anon suggested and grab your thumbnail instead of your thumb knuckle unless you like pain and want to have a crap hook grip.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.