[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You know running is a meme right? http://startingstrength.co

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

You know running is a meme right?
http://startingstrength.com/article/why-you-should-not-be-running
>>
>5. Strength training makes you more “durable,” in the sense that it makes you tougher, harder to hurt, and harder to kill.
>>
>>42255971

Mental gymnastics.
"Strength athletes" will do anything they can to find ways to justify avoiding any kind of physical activity that lasts more than 30 seconds.

This is, quite simply, because enduring physical exertion for a longer time is harder than short bursts.

Hence you get "strength coaches" advocating "conditioning" which is always high intensity short bursts, sprints and such. Don't get me wrong, sprints and HIIT are awesome and everyone should be doing them, but trying to claim it as ALL you need is dumb.

And Rippetoe is a fucking retard. He's funny, but if you take his word as gospel then you're a retard too. Speaking confidently and ridiculing other ideas does not mean he is right.
>strong people are harder to kill"
No m8. not if the threat can run faster or for longer than them.
>>
File: 1499661350482.png (270KB, 463x509px) Image search: [Google]
1499661350482.png
270KB, 463x509px
lifting more than twice a week is a meme

prehistoric men didn't have pointless, bulky muscles...those that did died out because such a physique slows you down and consumes too many resources
>>
>startingstrength.com
Yeah no
>>
>>42256100
But it's 2017.we are running from nothing now senpai
>>
>>42256060
wrong

do lots of low-intensity shit (walking, swimming, hiking) and occasional high-intensity shit (lifting, sprinting). everything in between should be avoided. there's a reason so many marathon runners have heart attacks.
>>
Running is a meme because it's shit for your joints.

Cycle or walk instead.
>>
>>42255971
Swimming is the ultimate. A strength training cardio extravaganza.
>>
>5. Strength training makes you more “durable,” in the sense that it makes you tougher, harder to hurt, and harder to kill.
The fuck kind of argument is that? Humans evolved for distance running because you're sure as fuck not going to take down any prey stonger than you in CQC but you can damn well outrun them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting
>>
>>42256188
Not doing any kind of cardio is even shittier for your joints
>>
>>42255971

Football players do a lot of cardio and running.

besides you powerlifters are so fucking autistic. functional strength will never be useful in your life.
>>
I do 4 minutes of rowing at 95% hrm after lifting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3667025/

Mostly because I'm lazy and running gives me shin splints. But now I have another excuse, thanks OP.
>>
>>42256250
I believe they mainly do sprints/hill sprints not distance runs
>>
>>42256169

>the only thing between high intensity cardio and super low intensity cardio is marathon training.

Mental gymnastics, as I said.
>>
If you do only strength training or only cardio in the first place then you're a fucking moron and is more concerned with your looks than actually being fit
>>
>>42256269

You believe wrong.
Have you seen the total distance some of them cover in a single game?
>>
>>42256245
>cycle instead

Can you not read
>>
>>42256269
Some soccer players cover more than 10km in a single match
>>
>>42256308
Running is better for your joints than not doing any cardio is what I said you dipshit, the negative effect running has on your joints is vastly overstated
>>
>>42256315
is that what they run for training?
>>
>not playing a competitive sport at least once a week that serves as cardio
>>
>>42256337
At least, if not more, do you think they don't do any distance running when they need to be running for 90 minutes in a match?
>>
>>42256169
Lol. There is a difference between jogging for 20-30 minutes a few days a week for cardio vascular health and running marathons meant to test human limits past what we think is humanly possible.
>>
Running is fun and feels so good. I don't know why so many avoid it
>>
>>42256464

Word.
I just think most people give up before they realise they can push themselves to the kind of point that achieves a real runners high.
It makes me laugh when people claim they get a runners high from lifting
>>
>>42255971
This retarded fat fuck better do some cardio to lose some fat if he doesn't want to have a heart attack.
>>
post the before/after starting strength pics
>>
File: PIo8E.jpg (130KB, 935x898px) Image search: [Google]
PIo8E.jpg
130KB, 935x898px
>>42256507
>>
rippletoe probably gives the worst advice of any of the board memes
>>
Is uncle rippy /ourguy/?
>>
>>42256513
GOMAD is a meme friend. The before pic shouldve cutted
>>
>crotchety obese geologist asserts that one must choose between 'strength' and 'cardio' to encourage those who are excluded from the dominant culture to drink gallons of milk and become similarly crotchety and obese
>>
>>42256250
No, we don't. Longest anyone on my varsity team ran at practice was 1.5 miles, and that was as punishment. We did sprints, drills, and lifted. Not much cardio to be found.
>>
>>42256718
Your team sucks.
>>
>>42256596
Ripplettits said it's for
>young
>underweight
That guy was just young.
>>
File: 100301_side.jpg (179KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
100301_side.jpg
179KB, 480x640px
Reminder that this is considered perfection by Rippetoe
>>
running is good unles you are trying to bulk, in which case you should minimize running

if you aren't literally trying to gain as much weight as possible then not running is retarded and unhealthy
>>
If I'm running just for general fitness is 5k a week enough?
>>
>>42256901
5k every 2-3 days is "fine"
>>
File: Scooby2007.jpg (37KB, 300x393px) Image search: [Google]
Scooby2007.jpg
37KB, 300x393px
>>42255971
Hmm... I wonder what Scooby would think about that. Clearly just by looking at rippletits gut you can tell that he would benefit from doing some cardio.
http://scoobysworkshop.com/2010/08/14/importance-of-cardio-cardiovascular-exercise/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7-pxsFIBjU
>>
>>42255971
One of the studies he cites is misleading, or the way he cites it is. He cites the death rate of marathoners during a race and then compares it to the death rate of people competitively lifting, saying that the death rate of marathoners is high and lifters isn't even measurable. This could obviously be a function of time and the ages of the respective populations. Time: the amount of time spent running during a marathon is measured in hours vs the time spent lifting at a meet is measured in minutes, if not seconds. Clearly a direct comparison will show more deaths for marathon than for lifting; you could take hours spent walking or driving and those would have a greater number of heart attacks than a couple minutes of lifting. Also ages: the average age of competitive marathoners is far higher than the average age of competitive lifters. Lifting and large amounts of muscle mass are a young man's game; comparing heart attacks between a youthful population and an aged population will always favor the youthful population. It would be interesting to see a study on the difference in heart attack rates between competitive marathoners and lifters of the same age.
>>
why does he say it /fit/?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.