[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I bought a gym membership and I'm ready to get /fit/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 506134950.jpg (43KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
506134950.jpg
43KB, 612x408px
So I bought a gym membership and I'm ready to get /fit/. The amount of different bits of information and opinions is somewhat crippling.

What should I do in first gym session tomorrow?
>>
File: SKruJBF.png (31KB, 481x584px) Image search: [Google]
SKruJBF.png
31KB, 481x584px
SS is generally regarded as a meme routine, for a lot of reasons. Everyone can agree it will put you in t-rex mode, though. (In other words, you'll look stupid and have shitty upper body strength compared to lower)

Try pic related. It's not perfect, there are a few things I don't like about it (can't really squat heavy as there's only one 4x4 squat day) but bench/ohp every day give you much better upper body gains than SS/SL, which is what guys actually care about. You also get to deadlift often which is fun.
>>
>>42246961
I recommend Greyskull lp.
>>
>>42247008
Couple questions,

What if I'm unable to do 8 chinups? (I'm not actually sure on this one)

Also, if it's 4 reps per set, does that mean I set the weight so it's only humanly possible to do 4 reps?
>>
>>42247078
On your first week or two you aren't going to be sure what weight you should use, so experiment. Start with the bar and work up. For a 4 rep set, yes, you want it to be high enough that you won't be able to do more reps, but not SO HIGH that you will fail the rep and hurt yourself. Better to do 5 or 6 reps on your last set than do 3, or worse yet failure causing you to injure yourself.

If you can't do 8 chinups do assisted chinups. Your gym might have an assisted pull up machine, otherwise you can just use a chair (look up a video)

The idea of a beginner routine is to do the main compound lifts to establish a strong foundation for the future. You'll do this for a little under a year. After that you'll do an intermediate routine, which will lower the volume (because you won't be able to do the same volume due to your weight being significantly higher than starting out) but add in additional exercises.
>>
>>42247059
On the Greyskull lp, when it says alternating between chin ups and rows for instance, does it mean on the same sessions do one then the other ?
>>
>>42246961
What I did was strong lifts for a few months and now I've switched to coolcicada's PPL routine. I'm still a dyel but I have grown some muscle mass and I'm making progress. It took me a long time to get the form of some lifts and feel it in the right places, but you really need to get that down or you're going to hurt yourself or not make gains. I did hurt myself pretty often at first too, because of poor form, but don't let that discourage you. Wait until you heal and keep going. I switched to a PPL routine partially to get in more accessory lifts, and partly because my gym is tiny and only has one squat rack, so my entire session used it and people had to wait or I had to wait for them.

If it's your first time lifting, don't overexert yourself and definitely do not lift more than you can handle. You're probably going to get DOMS, and you'll be sore for a few days after. Even if you think you can do more, start with a very low weight and work up from there. You might be able to lift more, but you won't lift it with perfect form on your first try. Form is much more important than lifting heavy to show off
>>
>>42247078
use a lat pulldown machine or cables to simulate chinup. Some gyms have a hanging pullup machine that pushes against your feet to help.
>>
>>42247132
Alternating between sessions
>>
>>42247177
So week one, do one exercise then do the next one week two?
>>
>>42246961
Ivysaur 448 is a pretty great noob program, but I think it has two big flaws:

1) you don't get to bench or squat heavy often enough, meaning you can't build the foundation of maximal strength you need to put volume in at weights that are much closer to your plateaus.

and 2) It doesn't include significant work for your rectus abdominus, the primary muscle group people associate with abs. I suggest adding in some of the exercises from this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4
>>
>>42247225
I do ivy's 448 but I just do the p90 ab 100 after every workout
>>
Cheers for the advice guys, I think I'm going with greyskull LP and see what happens. Any tips for me? Correct form, don't lift too heavy.. anything else?
>>
>>42247249
Make sure your diet is correct, or else you're basically wasting your time in the gym
>>
>>42246961
Something, something.. sticky
>>
>>42247249
Weigh yourself every week to make sure you're not going out of control. A big mistake some people make while trying to get bigger/stronger is that they let themselves get really fat. Or they do the opposite and never eat enough to make significant progress
>>
>>42247386
>>42247249
calorie counter app like lose it makes it painfully easy to keep track
>>
>>42246961
1) The most important thing by far is your diet. As a general rule you should eat a diet around a balanced protein/fat/carb ratio with +/- 500 calories above/below your maintenance depending whether you want to build muscle or burn fat.

2) Aim to work all muscle groups. At the most basic level you should do exercises that target your 4 most important muscles: Glutes, Lats, Chest, and the heart. That means deadlifts/squats, rows/pulldowns, upper/lower chest, and cardio/hiit.

Bonus) Once you've gotten the first two down, you can start adding some isolation exercises if you need them, like arms, neck, core, shoulders, calves etc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.