[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /fit/. Could I trouble you for some help? I've read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1370229219528.jpg (1MB, 2057x1542px) Image search: [Google]
1370229219528.jpg
1MB, 2057x1542px
Hey, /fit/. Could I trouble you for some help? I've read the Sticky, though I can't say that I understand it that well yet.
I'm not particularly fat, at least relative to others I've seen, and I'm still fairly young. (I'm 20 and I've been 105kgs for a few years. Mostly fat, can't run up a hill without being out of breath. Terrible posture.)
Was wondering how you all got started, and what motivated you to take that step. I can't seem to bring myself to start, let alone work up the courage to actually do it in public. It's like writer's block, only pathetic and it doesn't make any sense.

Tl;Dr I guess I'm looking for inspiration, or reaching out for beginner help. Maybe a little advice from someone else who had something like a Social Anxiety Disorder and got fit through it. I don't know man, I don't have anyone to talk to this about.
Pic unrelated, though I guess it is loosely.
>>
>>42216394
You start when your desire to improve yourself becomes bigger than our desire to stay the way you are. We can't give you this. You must create this within yourself. Being /fit/ is a lifestyle change, not something you do once or twice.

One piece of advice that helped me is this: No one cares. No one cares about what you're doing. You think that people are judging you for the amount of weight you're doing? They're not. That's you being self centered. The truth is that most of the people there probably started at where you are. No one is born fit. If you put in the work, you'll get the results. The people who intimidate you at the gym just put in more work than you.

I'd tell you that I hope you succeed, but honestly, I don't care. In fact, I don't want another newfag in the gym, cluttering everything up. It's up to you to work past your weakness.
>>
File: 1372199977010.jpg (363KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1372199977010.jpg
363KB, 1920x1080px
>>42216452
That's fair enough, I suppose. I think I'd prefer someone not caring at all over the other two alternatives anyway.
I wasn't talking about the gym specifically, in fact I'd never be able to stomach going there. I was looking for something like examples or advice. Personal stories of overcoming your insecurities or things to avoid, stuff like that.

Let's just say in theory then. What if your desire to improve dwarfs the desire to stay the same, but an outlying and personally insurmountable factor prevents the improvement regardless? Whether directly or indirectly, consciously or subconsciously.
What advice would give someone stuck like that?
>>
>>42216737
What factor are you talking about here? Why wouldn't you improve yourself if you want to?
>>
>>42216737
I dont know you, obviously, but it seems to me as if that paragraph is worded in a way that seems to be LOOKING for a problem aka an excuse not to take the first step and to avoid the reality of biting the bullet
>>
Start walking while listening to audiobooks, thank me later
>>
>>42216394
Back when I was 18ish I weighted about 90kg, pretty much for my height. In my country there is a saying that a man under 100kg is no man. I've joked about it many times that I'm almost a man. During this time I stumbled upon a video in YouTube with some calisthenics gods doing amazing tricks. I got motivated and tried some easier stuff, of course because my weight and no training at all it wasn't possible. I didn't understand because I always thought I'm a strong man, but my big arms turned out to be only fat. I've looked at the mirror and saw my pathetic, not even close to a strong man figure. I decided it has to change, so I searched a bit about calisthenics and I found a book which title I don't remember, but it doesn't matter. It was good because I could work out at home, a safe place where no one can laugh at me. I set up a pull up bar and started it. Fast forward, I didn't committed much to this, after a while due to changing jobs, I was away from home for about 2 weeks, then home for a weekend then back to work for 2 weeks and so on and so forth. There is no way I can set up a pullup bar so working out in the apartment where I'm staying is not possible. I found out that there is a little park near me with a running track and a pullup and dip bar. I was thinking if I'll workout there, people will looking at me and my pathetic workout, but I decided that I don't give a fuck, I'll try it. And surprisingly people didn't give a flying fuck about me, they were busy with their workout, so I can do whatever I want. I made it so far of not giving a shit about anyone that I'm going there with some exciting exercises that looks funny, but I know that no one cares about me, so I'm fine. This is my story up to date.
>>
File: 1372199598461.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1372199598461.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>42216826
Hard to explain, I'll try an example. You know how stage fright feels, yeah? It's basically that, only it happens whenever you're around people and the reasons for it to occur don't even have to make sense for you to feel the symptoms. Sometimes there doesn't even have to be a reason, it just happens.
I'd rather not provide actual examples, because thinking about some of them makes me feel incredibly stupid.

>>42216884
Maybe so. I couldn't say either. At least I don't want to be doing it. I'd like to not be shooting myself in the foot though, if what you say is true.

>>42216969
That sounds like it might help, I wouldn't even have to think about it.
Maybe I could ignore my thoughts.
>>
>>42216394
I can't speak for you, but I can tell you what my thought process is.

Motivation is internal. Working out for some external goal (approval of others, etc) is hollow and will not sustain you. Stop caring about external validation. Get fit for yourself.

For me, I always had this idea in my head that some abstract future me would be relatively good looking. Then the years went by, and I still looked like shit. Then I realized that looking good wasn't something that would happen on its own. I had two choices: Actively work to improve myself, or give up and accept looking like shit. There's no third option. You either work to get the body you want, or roll the dice with genetics.

From what you've written, you look like shit. You have two choices anon. Either accept your body as is, or work to change it. Any other option is a fantasy.
>>
File: wallpaper-60079.png (123KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-60079.png
123KB, 1920x1200px
>>42217040
It's nice to hear you're making progress, gives me a little hope for myself at least.
Did you have to take a while to convince yourself to work out outside? Or did you jump right into the shark tank? I'm terrible at metaphors.

>>42217113
I would say I'm on the more attractive side of the fat scale, though obviously still undesirable. I think I have a relatively pleasing face, if nothing else.

I don't think I can stop caring about external validation, but that's only because of my internal thoughts about it. I don't care what people think, I do however deeply care what I think people think.

I feel a lot more motivated now though. I wonder why people pointing out your flaws and calling you out on your excuses feels so strangely good.
>>
>>42217220
No, I jumped straight in. I'm at that part of my life that I'm forcing myself to not care at all about other people's thoughts, and it's working so far. I was beta, and there was a video on YouTube about how to be alpha, and I follow some of the "rules" and honestly I feel more confident and I'm doing stuff that I was afraid of because what other people might think.
>>
>>42216737

I used to play golf competitively. I'd hate to guess how many hundreds of rounds I played in proper tournaments, before thinking about goofball matches with friends, and just playing by myself for practice. EVERY FUCKING ROUND, I was at least a bit nervous or antsy on the first tee. I'm pretty sure everyone is a little anxious over their first tee shot. But you take a breath, just go through your usual routine, hit the shot, and more often than not, I'd actually hit a pretty good shot. And even if I hit a bad shot, I'd go find my ball, play it from there, and by the end of the first hole, I forgot I had ever been nervous. I was just playing more golf.

That's what going to the gym is going to be like for you. You're going to be nervous, then you're going to do something, and you're going to get over it without even really realizing you got over it. You'll just be working out.

And you are going to go to the gym, because, unless you want to get a power rack, platform, and barbell set up in your garage or something, trying to do fitness in your living room is like trying to play golf in your backyard. It's an exercise in wasting time while accomplishing nothing.
>>
>>42217056
Hey man, you're on an anonymous image board full of weebs and outcasts. We all have our anxieties and depression and what not. Tell us what's really going on and we can help you out
>>
>>42216394
I'm on the schizophrenia spectrum. I have social anxiety and depression. I didn't find out I was schizophrenic until I was 21, but I started weightlifting when I was 20.

I started weightlifting because I had always been skinny throughout highschool. I was 6'2 160 lbs when I started weightlifting. I started because I had always been skinny, I thought it'd be hilarious if I got big. what kept me going was I found it helped a lot with my anxiety and depression.

Find some non-superficial reason to be /fit/ and you will succeed
>>
>>42216394
>What motivated you
I got accepted into a university 200 miles away from mommy and literally couldn't even get a haircut without reaching triple-digit beats per minute heart rate

>let alone do it in public
I spent 2 years sneaking into a local park at midnight when all the kids went home before I even stepped foot in a gym; and if there were weed smokers on the park i'd just skip that days workout and try again tomorrow.

Social anxiety aint fun my guy but lifting raises your confidence to a base level high enough that you can talk to strangers and whatnot, then you just have to build up from there by talking to people.
>>
>2012
>be 22
>weed gets me into walking
>pack flippin sandwiches, coffee, water, and prerolled joints and spend whole days walking in the woods.
>realize i could make it
>start working on my future

And appart from a swift 2016 which was mostly partying, fucking and drinking (was employed as a chef at a "trending" restaurant in sweden) ive been making alot of progress.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.