[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is mountain biking in actual mountains if you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3697.jpg (59KB, 385x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3697.jpg
59KB, 385x220px
How difficult is mountain biking in actual mountains if you've never done it?
>>
>>42165110
uh, it depends?
>>
Depends. Are we talking well-trafficked fire roads/hiking trails? Pretty easy. As long as you don't get too crazy on the downhill and skid off a cliff you're good.

Single track with hairpins on a steep downhill? Not so easy until you have great balance of front + back wheel and braking. I would still do it, but make sure you don't just disappear one day and break a major bone then die in the wilderness.

Ability to rock hop and the cool jumps you see on youtube and think "wow that looks like fun! I can do that!" come later.

Expect to fuck your shit up. Get up and keep trying.

I do a 20 mile mixed single track/fire road trail with about 1/4 of solid dirt jumps once a week. It can be a rush, but I've been riding seriously for 15 years. I know how to fall, and I wear a fullface helmet.

It can be a lot of fun and extremely fulfilling, not to mention /fit/ people tend to pick it up more quickly than fatties off the couch.
>>
>>42165175
I want to try my luck on the red trails

https://www.whistler.com/trails/bike/
>>
>>42165216
all of the red trails look like downhill segments, which is more a test of bike handling skills, balance and concentration than fitness. if you're a novice, start off with basic XC trails and develop your skills from there; see also what >>42165202 said and, for specific skills etc., GMBN on youtube has a lot of videos
>>
>>42165295
>than fitness
You've never done this. Not with a stopwatch.
The cardio demands of true timed downhill are on par with sprinting.
>>
>>42165493
i misspoke; the limiting factor for a novice will be their bike handing skills. (we're talking to a person who's asking the question "How difficult is mountain biking in actual mountains if you've never done it?")
>>
>>42165493
>>42165539
also, as you might be interested: http://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/abs/10.1123/ijspp.2014-0135
>>
>>42165216

whistler has a lot of long, fast trails. with a few mandatory jumps. when i first went biking it was on burnaby mountain my friends gave me a 5 minute crash course and then took me down intermediate trails. a lot of rough ground, rocks, tree roots and stuff. and no run off area if you screw up. needless to say i bailed a lot. but if you keep at it it can be pretty fun and you'll pick it up fairly quickly
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.