[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are warmups really necessary? When I do them, it doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1470246935511.jpg (132KB, 424x460px) Image search: [Google]
1470246935511.jpg
132KB, 424x460px
Are warmups really necessary? When I do them, it doesn't seem to change my performance at all, so I stopped doing it.
>>
>>41970130
see you in snapcity
>>
>>41970141
But I stretch before working out. Is that not enough? I thought the warmups were just to improve your performance, but it doesn't really change anything in my case.
>>
>>41970165

dude you serious stretch afterwards not before you fucking dolt.

and yes warmups are necessary
>>
>>41970130

tl;dr on warm ups:

>They prime the nervous system for lifting weight, NOT 'warm up' the bones body as many believe
>When you have been lifting for a while and achieve decent poundages, you need to lift progressively heavier weight to hit your maxes or close to it
>E.g. You are more likely to hit a new max if you work progressively heavier towards it. Ex: 40%x3/60x3/70x3/80x2/90x1/95x1/102x1
>If you are new and/or working in the 5 rep range it is unlikely you need much beside the most basic of warm ups (and then only for squats/bench) because doing 3-5x5 you are always working in the 75-80% range at all times. This weight range doesn't require warm ups as it is not 'heavy'
>>
>>41970680
was with you until the last one, 75-80% 1rm absolutely does require a warmup if you want to avoid fucking yourself up

just doing something like 50% x5, 60%x4, 70%x3 goes a long way towards priming you to lift the weight and making sure you're in the groove, anecdotally jumping into anything more than 60% ish on bench without a warmup makes my elbows cranky
>>
>>41970712
>>41970680
and also if you're in the tail end of a linear progression program, your first set may be around a 6rm weight or 85% ish, that's fairly heavy and definitely something you want to work up to
>>
>>41970680
>>41970712

yeah since warming up lubes up your joints, this process takes some minutes.
>>
>>41970712
>75-80% 1rm absolutely does require a warmup if you want to avoid fucking yourself up

It depends.

If you're doing 5x5 with Squat/Bench/Dead - probably. Overhead, curl, row - maybe not as the weight a newb in particular is lifting isn't high.

I do agree with you though. For an absolute newb like OP who doesn't enjoy them I'd say drop it, but once he starts to feel the first set is heavy or he misses reps on the first set I'd add an 80%x5. When that's heavy add a 60%x5, and so on. The focus on WU's for a beginner, especially one who doesn't enjoy them, is overstated.

>>41970731

Doing rotation exercises will do more for your joints than a 50%x5 before your overheads will. Warm ups = nervous system preparation for heavier weight. Lubing joints/actual warm up = light movement and rotation exercises.
>>
>>41970791
for a beginner, sure

there's no way in hell i'd even attempt to deadlift my 10rm without a warmup
>>
>>41970130
No don't worry, warming up is for bitches, you can do 105% of your 1RM 10 times without warming up.

Stupid faggot, keep not warming up, see you in snapcity when 'ill be an old cuck.
Also if you don't see any difference w/o warming up then you're propably a DYEL lifting 5 lbs
>>
>>41970130
Just wait until you start lifting actual fucking weight anon.

See you in snapcity.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.