[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me this: Why when you row you have to use your arms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: rowing down the river.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
rowing down the river.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
Explain to me this:
Why when you row you have to use your arms as hooks and pull with your elbows to take the biceps out of the equation?
answer: because you are making the movement easier on the lats.

>the function of the lats, in this situation, is to move the humerus backwards
How does using the biceps when doing rows help the lats?

>inb4 you don't use your biceps because it fatigues faster and you limit yourself
That's another thing.

Please explain.
>>
idiot
>>
>>41946446
Answer my fucking question, dickcheese.
>>
because actively flexing the bicep shouldnt be a part of the equation when you are only focusing on using the lat to pull the humerus toward the body, hence the cue to pull from elbows? the lat only acts to pull on the upper arm, not lower.
>>
Decreases moment and increase momentum
>>
>>41946526
If the humerus goes up, so does the radius, ulna, and weights.

>>41946546
>moment
?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(physics)

The momentum part i kinda get it, but still, wait i'll draw something in paint.

I am not a troll, i just want to discuss something i don't really understand which i believe i have proof it's broscience, stick with me, please.
>>
File: kek.png (21KB, 723x601px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
21KB, 723x601px
>>41946563
I'll think of a better way to explain, as the last time i did physics was 10 years ago, in highschool.
>>
>>41946681
You pull on the weight, the weight pulls on you. Each joint is separate in forces, the total energy at the elbow is still the weight + the weight of your arm. Pulling with the biceps only might make it seem easier because you engage more muscle fibers by contracting the biceps too.

Remember the "grip the bar tightly when doing OHP so you can recruit more muscle fibers"? It's the same thing.

I hope i made myself clear, i still think i didn't explain my train of thought exactly.
>>
>>41946742
i "pull with my elbows" not because it isolates the lat more or whatever, but because when i started, for the first 3 or 4 months, i couldn't get my back, especially lats, sore. now i know soreness doesn't mean shit in terms of muscle building, but i'd get sore from any and every shoulder and chest exercise, also arm exercises, and legs, but not my back

this is what they call having a weak mind muscle connection

now i dont claim to believe that shit, but yeah when i pulled with my arms, i felt it in my biceps and a bit in traps; when i started pulling with my elbows, i started feeling it in my lats, traps, rhomboids, and biceps aswell

i dont care what physics or science or whatever says, it's the way i do it and my back has grown significantly since switching.
>>
>>41946681
Try to do lateral raises with straight arms vs lateral raises with bent elbows. Which one is way easier? That's moment
>>
>>41946958
English is not my native tongue, sorry. I get it now. We call it something else in Romanian.
Yeah, moment counts too, but i was thinking the weight is already heavy, you can't really move the arm from perpendicular on the ground just using your biceps.
>>
>>41946423
if youre using the biceps then your bending the arm too much. Which limit the weight used. Youre changing the leverage, so its easier fo the lats when you use the biceps.
>>
>>41946992
By using your biceps you are moving the weight closer to the joint (in this case the shoulder) so even though the weight is the same and the speed is the same etc, the lift becomes easier (think about it like this - the weight now has shorter distance to travel)

Also there's momentum which I've mentioned that also has a lot of impact (basically your biceps help your lats to "throw" the weight up a little)

Personally I'm all in favor of cheating reps as long as you're aware of cheating
>>
>>41947017
>>41947004
>>41946958
So i understood correctly. Thank you, /fit/s.
I was always asuming that it's broscience because i row with heavy enough weight that i can't really change the position of the forearm and it's always perpendicular to the floor, so no momentum change even if i contract the biceps.
>>
>>41947049
Youre not rowing with a weight with which you cant move it closer to the shoulder by using the biceps.

If youre using the biceps it moves the weight closer to your shoulder, shorten the lever arm to your lats and therefore give the lats less work.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.