[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else is /homegym/ here? I just bought a barbell & plates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Who else is /homegym/ here?

I just bought a barbell & plates set, and next pay I'm going for a bench.

I work pretty crazy hours, and when you come off an 11pm-7am nursing shift the last thing you wanna do is hit the gym, so I'm pretty hype that soon I'll be able to tell them to fuck off for good.

Anyone got any tips and tricks? Must-have items? SHOULD I drop the gym membership completely? Or should I maybe stick around for classes or something?
>>
>>41882874
>I just bought a barbell & plates set, and next pay I'm going for a bench.
Go for a power rack next, then adjustable bench. After that basically just stock up on weights and maybe dumbbells.
>>
I have a homegym and love it. I would suggest getting a power rack. You'll be able to lift heavy and safely. Also it'll let you do weighted pull ups, and you can get a dip attachment.
>>
>>41882899
>>41882911
>power rack
Space is a factor in my apartment, would something like these by okay:
https://www.mydeal.com.au/adjustable-weight-bar-barbell-squat-rack-holder
https://www.mydeal.com.au/sr-1-compact-squat-rack-with-barbell---safety-hooks

Or should I go for a cage, eg:
https://www.mydeal.com.au/multi-purpose-power-rack
>>
>>41882970
i've a home gym. i used to have a squat rack like that in your second link and i've since gotten a power rack to replace it. a power rack is much more stable, secure, and safe when compared to a (cheap, light) squat rack. you don't need any gimmicks like lat pulldown attachments—power racks often have a pull-up bar

as to the original question: of the things i have, the rack, bench, matting and barbell are essential; the plate-loadable dumbbell handle, rings, foam roller, lacrosse ball, bands, dipping belt, landmine post and V-handle are all useful; the specialty bars (Swiss bar, EZ-curl bar) have fallen out of use

it sounds like a lot of stuff, but you don't have to get it all at once
>>
Looking into investing in one.

Torn between that and paying 700 for a 2 year membership at a local chain gym.

Already have a barbell, some plates, a bench, a few dumbells, a bike and a treadmill. Last part would be the power rack but its hefty for a newbie. My basement also has a low ceiling.
>>
>>41882874
>TRX in OP image
Overpriced gymnastics rings. Just get rings. They take about the same time to setup, do pretty much anything TRX is designed to do, but you can do way more on top of it. Plus, no wearing out straps rubbing against each other.
>>
>>41883321
OP here, can confirm. The TRX straps at my gym look like they're about to snap at any second.

I just chose it because... ass. (And it's the only exercise equipment I have in my "gym sluts" folder)
>>
>>41882874
Pull up bar + Weights + Punchingbag + Somewhere to run and do body weight exercises.

Nothing more is needed.
>>
>>41883611
Punching bag, eh? Never even considered that.
Learning to box would be pretty cool.
>>
>>41883778
Its good exercise, but you won't learn shit without sparring. So you kinda need to be a member of a club, I have a club nearby that I run too (around 2.5km), it's really fucking neat it's one of those old men teaching rookies stuff clubs.
>>
>>41882874
at least gym is a good reason to go outside and leave the house for a while.
>>
Got one in the garage, its a bit of an issue lifting in the winter cuz its cold af
>>
File: IMG_5690.jpg (107KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5690.jpg
107KB, 500x494px
>>41882874
Nurse bro with home gym here.

>Depends what are your goals?

Bodybuliding?
Fitness?
Strenght?
Sports?
Martial arts?
I just do weighted incline push ups, no bench. You need a pull up bar for your door. You can do single leg squats with plates. Make sure you have 300lbs maybe more for your barbell.

You still have cardio.
Jump rope and running is the best way.

My weights are next to my bed. I do them either before or after sleeping.

I do both compound and isolation with my barbell or ez bar.
>>
Giant power cage reporting. Made the cross bars suitable for hanging sit ups. Homemade deadlifting platform with nice foam inlets to keep it from rolling, cheap Walmart bench I don't really use, 200lb in weight from Goodwill plus another 250 or so golds gym plates, set up nicely next to ping pong table and a giant leather couch for resting and shitposting

All told about 400 usd thanks to Craigslist. Best investments I've ever made.
>>
Yah, I'm home gym.

You'll slowly find yourself investing more into it, so here are some tips

>You're gonna drop a lot of money at first, but this is something you'll use for the rest of your life.
>You can go cheap on plates. Middle of the road on a barbell. Don't cheap out on a power rack. Read up on that.
>Have a power rack for chins, Press/Bench/Squat
>If you want to save time when you life, then you should have at least a trap bar and one barbell. (Trap bar to replace squat/barbell deadlift)
>Have your other barbell for press/bench/row (I personally have a trap bar, row bar, and a press bar)
>Have 45's dedicated to your trap bar
>Have 45's dedicated to your press/bench/row bar
>Buy a 2inch/Olympic dumbell (the kind that uses the same weights as your barbell)
>Have multiples of 10lbs and 5lbs
>Buy an ab wheel
>Buy a neck harness
>Buy a grip training device
>Buy fat grips
>Have a 5 gallon bucket for your chalk
>Don't worry about buying bumper plates because you can buy horse stall mats for cheap and protect floor with that
>Doing full body and supersetting your lifts is the quickest way to workout

T. Guy who works 66 hour weeks and has a home gym
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.