[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can I do way more pullups with a neutral grip than overhand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: neutralgrippullup.jpg (161KB, 755x857px) Image search: [Google]
neutralgrippullup.jpg
161KB, 755x857px
Why can I do way more pullups with a neutral grip than overhand or underhand?

Which is better?
>>
>>41865795
Neutral - biceps and back
Pull up (overhand) - back
Chip up (underhand) - biceps
>>
>>41865845
>chin-up is for biceps

lol'd
>>
File: IMG_5375.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5375.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>41865795
You utilize your brachioradialis more, your rotator cuff has less work to stabilize your shoulders due to the neutral grip, elbows are also easier to adduct toward your ribs allowing your lats to really kick in. I taught my ex gf how to do pull ups using a neutral grip first.
>>
>>41865857
Are you retarded?
>>
>>41865795

Actually there isnt much difference, the neutral is a bit better for the shoulders.
>>
>>41865795
With underhand or Overhand you have to control the rotation of your shoulders.

Neutral grip is the most ideal of the three supinated second and overhand being least efficient.
You'll have slightly different benefits from the different grips, but I would recommend (and this is what I did) that you go will a neutral grip if you can since you will make the fastest progress with it.

Just abuse neutral grip and switch to the other grip at a later date.
If you'll notice, people that do one arm chin ups start with either a neutral grip or an externally rotated grip and finish with a neutral or slight internal rotation of the shoulder. (They start more externally rotated and finish more inwardly)

Unless you have a pull-up bar with rotating grips you cannot mimic this with a two arm chin up, but that is the ideal shoulder rotation throughout the movement, and the neutral grip is a great compromise between the two.

>That's why

>>41865857
Also, what this guy said. I can do one arm chin ups and have done them at a bodyweight as heavy as 180lbs. Your biceps will be bigger than a normie and even some novice lifters, but they won't be bigger than an intermediate lifter unless you do some isolation or ALSO get to an advanced level with row variations.

Chins alone will not make biceps
>>
Mostly its due to just being more practiced with a certain style. Bodyweight movements are as much about regular practice as they are about strength.

As said above, different grips mean more or less biceps involvement, which can make you capable of a few more reps, but its not as big a difference as most think. I can do more overhand pull-ups than I can chin-ups, purely because I train them way more often.
>>
File: pullups chinups.jpg (225KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pullups chinups.jpg
225KB, 1200x1200px
>>41865845
You're overexagerrating, chin ups are utlizing biceps more due to forearm supination but still it's primarily a back exercise.
>>
>>41865845
I assume you can curl your bodyweight for reps then?
>>
>>41865983

>primarily a back excercise

But the muscles that are most used are the elbow flexors because they are almost always the limiting factor.
I do agree that people exaggerate on the difference between pullup variations though.
>>
>>41865795

You have a more vertical movement on neutral grip pullups, your body moves less and your head is more in line with your hands.

On chinups and pullups your head and torso need to mve out of the way of the bar
>>
>>41865795
i know that chins involve biceps and chest. I couldn't do chin ups day after bench
>>
>>41866134
chest involvement is dependant on grip width mostly

the wider the grip the less pecs used. Its impossible to grip wide with an underhand grip without killing your wrists thats why people experience chest doms with chinups and not pullups since most people to pullups with a wide grip
>>
File: 1497636781163.jpg (426KB, 643x943px) Image search: [Google]
1497636781163.jpg
426KB, 643x943px
>>41865795
name of those pullup attachments hes using? cant find them
>>
>>41865795
I can do more shoulder width overhand pullups than either neutral grip of underhand grip

don't know why
>>
>>41865795
neutral grip gives healthier shoulders
>>
>>41866558
pls help
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.