[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My low back hurts when doing ab exercises (mostly crunches).

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 10_Low_back_pain.jpg (8KB, 251x299px) Image search: [Google]
10_Low_back_pain.jpg
8KB, 251x299px
My low back hurts when doing ab exercises (mostly crunches).

What do I do brehs, anyone have experience with this?
>>
rest a few days, drop crunches for planks
>>
>>41747692
Crunches arnt good for your back, try any other ab exercise such as any hanging ab work, the ab bench machine thing, planks, twists. Like literally anything but crunches
>>
>>41747692
Crunches are mainly a hip flexor exercise, and if you have any lower back lordosis you are basically pulling your lumbar vertebra with the iliopsoas muscle, which contributes to the hip flexion movement. You should do the crunches like this: lay on your back with knees on around 90 degrees flexion, this removes the lordosis from your lower back. Start crunching vertebrae by vertebrae, reach your dick with your chin, and once you've reached the end of comfortable movement range, slowly back down to where you started. That's a proper ab crunch, for abs only, not for the hip flexors.
>>
>>41747736
>if you have any lower back lordosis
I kinda have due to bad posture in my early years

Thanks for the tip senpai, I'm try to strengthen core and work on my posture, but right now crunches and the likes weirdly feel like a back workout. I'll try that form
>>
>>41747692
Crunches are shit, replace with planks and hanging leg raises.
>>
>>41747692
Deactivate your hip flexors by activating your hamstrings. You can do this by planting your feet flat on the floor and trying to drag them towards your ass.
>>
>>41747692
Drop crunches for planks and ab wheel exercises. Leg raises don't seem as bad for you back as crunches if you have a perfect form, but they aren't as "safe" as the other alternatives listed.
>>
>>41747888
Planks are not good for your lower back.
>>
>>41748446
>exercise intended to help stabilize your lumbar, hip and pelvis
>bad for your back

Please explain.
>>
File: 1481199765272.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1481199765272.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
>>41747736
>lower back lordosis
any way to fix this?
>>
>>41748422
This anon knows. Dragon flags too, ditch the crunches. They are shit tier
Work your muscles in the way you are using them. You want to have your core straight, not hunched over, your spine bent, like when you do crunches. See how your core tenses up when you squat.
>>
>>41747692
if you live anywhere near Phoenix, Arizona I will teach you my method to develop abs and other various muscle groups without lifting or calisthenics, or any traditional movements at all. I will train you in my ways for 20 bux/hour
>>
>>41748719
Sounds good, I'll be there in 30 minutes
>>
File: ab-crunch-leg-raised.jpg (42KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
ab-crunch-leg-raised.jpg
42KB, 680x382px
>>41747692
You most likely have tight Quadriceps and hip flexors these muscles pull your lower back into hyperlordosis which causes pain in the vertebrae. So stretch those muscles. The pain comes when you try to do abs but use hip flexors instead.

try doing
>ab crunches with legs up (pic related)
>cable crunches

Focus on moving your upperbody towards your lower body and not vice versa, slow and controlled make sure you exhale during each rep
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.