[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I go to start learning to fight? What is the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: saving private gondola.jpg (43KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
saving private gondola.jpg
43KB, 344x344px
Where can I go to start learning to fight?

What is the most practical fighting discipline? I would like to learn it. I want to study the strategies, and techniques that people use when fighting. I find it really fascinating, the different moves people have available to them at every stage of a fight, and how there exists counters for various punches, kicks, and other moves people might try on you in a real life scenario where you have to defend yourself.
>>
Ving tsun and krav maga are 100% self defense. The rest is more about winning a match
>>
>>41746644

Can I learn one of those in my area. I live in Pennsylvania. would I realistically be able to be trained.

I am slightly short, with a decent amount of muscle from the gym, and like 14-15% bf. Does any of that matter
>>
Thoughts on Muay Thai?
There's a really well rated place like 20 mins away from me and i figured i would learn a martial art to round me out
>>
I'm also really interested in learning how to fight, or a martial art. Was thinking of picking up a discipline within the next 3 years or so but not sure which to follow.
>>
>>41746634
Just try to always have a better weapon and more friends than the other guy and you will be fine
>>
>>41746679
Hmm, a quick google search tells me it is not happening.

Tell you what, let me give you a breakdown that might help you out.

Boxing is one of the best, and even if boxing is not your thing, you might enjoy kick boxing, both of which will yield results after the first month, in terms of muscle memory and power training.

Pros: If you live in the US, Boxing is the most taught martial art practice, and usually the one that has the most trainers on hand, if you suck.

Cons: It is really easy to over-train, if you are already doing workouts, and if you already hate cardio, you will hate most boxing drills.

Muay Thai is the next best overall martial art training I can think of, but sadly, it does require more traditional training then boxing, so I would recommend it as a secondary martial art, not the first martial art to learn.

Pros: You will learn to fight, and because Muay Thai teaches you how to use each joint as a weapon, this Martial Arts is the best one for a surprise attack, if you really need to make the first hit count, and if you train properly, you bones will grow stronger, making it less likely for you to break them.

Cons: Hard to find teachers in the US, and even if you do, over-training can lead to bone problems, if you are too intense, and do not have a decent diet already (Drink plenty of milk).

Wrestling is great, and will be the best training you can receive if you are ever taken to the ground, or have your opponent on the ground.

Pros: It is as common in the US as Boxing, and it is one of the easiest to learn, plus it is usually cheap.

Cons: You will get your ass beat in training, and depending on your weight class, you will need to change your diet.

Finally, there is Karate, which is both the best and the worst, at least, in the US.

Pros: VERY hard to over-train, and for complete beginners, you will learn the most the fastest (blocking, correct stance, disarming, and technique).

Cons: If your dojo never spars, you will learn slow
>>
File: b4nny tf2.jpg (1MB, 3600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
b4nny tf2.jpg
1MB, 3600x2400px
>>41746914

Why is Muay Thai better than the rest? And I noticed you did not mention Krav Maga. Why is that?

Can I find small groups to learn in, or 1 on 1 sessions? Do those exist? I wouldn't want to be in a learning environment that is larger than 5 students, max
>>
Brazilian jujitsu (bjj) makes a good foundation. Then try to round it out with either Mui Tai or boxing for your striking.
Boxing will teach good footwork and agility. But Mui Tai will teach you to use your knees and elbows as well as your fists, both are dangerous weapons, and I feel Mui Tai pairs better with bjj.
>>
>>41746954
Muay Thai is better than all the rest because, despite not being as simple to learn as boxing, it builds upon whatever form and technique you learn from boxing, or even karate, and most other martial arts, hence why I said to have it as a secondary martial art once you have already learned one, but to not start with it as your first.

Secondly, despite Muay Thai not being a particularly defensive martial art, it does teach you how to use every joint at your disposal, which is something no other martial art really teaches nowadays, aside from maybe Krav Maga.

Oh, and speaking of which, the reason why I did not bring up Krav Maga is because I wanted to give a breakdown of the most widely available martial arts I saw from a quick google search of the state, and though you may find a Krav Maga instructor nearby, it is another more secondary martial art, much like Muay Thai, which I would not recommend unless you already understand the basic forms and attacks of every martial art (boxing gives you a quick rundown and is the most simple, which is nice, great for most beginners).

I mean, I can tell you about Jujitsu and Capoeira too, but finding a decent instructor for either art in the US is rare, so I left it out, like many martial arts, sadly.

To answer your last question, I would recommend finding a gym or dojo that provides training, as most do (usually boxing, or Kick boxing, maybe Karate), and just ask how many people are in the average class, and see if there are classes available earlier or later in the day that have less students in them, if you are afraid of the "environment", like you mentioned.

Just remember though, having more students is not necessarily a bad thing, as you can learn from them as well as the master, and in terms of sparring ,you have a better chance of facing off against someone of your skill level than you would if it was just you and a few veterans in the class.

In the US, a dedicated boxing gym would be best for 1v1 trainin
>>
>>41747071
Side note, if all this information sounds confusing, or if you are just strapped for time, cash, opportunities, etc., you could always join a random MMA gym.

Be warned though, if the place is worth a damn, you will get your ass beat hard during the first year, but if you are in it for the long haul, it would be a great building block to have as a fighter, and would give you a little taste of everything, in case you get bored easily.

Whatever you end up liking about MMA (Striking, sweeping, take-downs, choke-holds) you could end up taking full on martial art for down the road.

Become a fan of strikes? Take up Full contact boxing.

You end up liking sweeps, or more technique based sparring? Join a proper Karate dojo.

You get a boner from making an opponent hit the ground and forcing yourself on them until they cannot stand? Wrestling would be right up your alley.

End up finding out that you are some kind of serial killer that enjoys choking the lives out of others? Tons of martial arts can teach you how to harness that further along the road.

Just thought I would mention that to you before I went to bed.

Good night, anon, best of luck with whatever martial art you end up taking!
>>
>>41746644

The Krav Maga meme. When my unit was cross-training with some IDF faggots there was this one gay little jew who was always talking about his elite Krav Maga skills.

We had Bubba, some gigantic corn-fed Iowa boy who was a decorated collegiate wrestler square off with the Krav Maga faggot one day because we were bored and these fucks were annoying.

Bubba ended up breaking his arm in something like 4 places. Probably could have sodomized him after that if he wanted to.
>>
>>41746796
do it faggot
Best striking art you can learn
Better than meme Chun and Jew jitsu
>>
>>41746828
If you like to get stronger and git gud wrestle
If you just want to win a fight Boxing will do all you need
>>
>>41747102
How does it feel to be so autistic that you make up stories like this on 4chan?
>>
>>41746644
>>
>>41747155

Pretty good desu.
>>
>>41746634
this comes up often enough that a link to this video should just be stickied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4
>>
You can learn to fight but you'll never be able to do anything about that nutcase who'll take a titanium driver to your jaw

Some people are just willing to hurt you bady like that

Still, if you want to learn self defence for street fighting? Boxing and wrestling (or BJJ). There is no superior combination for it IMO, and I say this as someone trained in Muay Thai. Throwing off kicks can be harder in more restricted fighting areas, but then again, when you can snap a solid kick off to someones chin in an instant you don't have to worry about most people.

Still, I'd caution you all. Don't fall for the meme that the you'll be able to handle the 'average idiot' looking for a fight with no harm. If it's alcohol courage making them fight, yeah, you;'ll handle it. But if their genuinely crazy they'll fuck you up with aggressiveness alone. You have to learn that young.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.